96 Voyager Van - Start Up Problem

Old February 3rd 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Todd[_4_]

Default 96 Voyager Van - Start Up Problem

Hi all,

If someone would be kind enough to help that would be great. My van
stalled last night and won't turn over at all. I had a very very
strong smell of gas from the rear of the vehicle when that happened.
Now I try and start and it won't turn over and doesn't smell like gas
at the motor. The rear of the van smells like gas. The fuel pump is
coming on as it should and was replaced a year ago.

Does anyone know what may cause this? Fuel line maybe?

Thanks,
Todd
Old February 3rd 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Todd > wrote:

>If someone would be kind enough to help that would be great. My van
>stalled last night and won't turn over at all. I had a very very
>strong smell of gas from the rear of the vehicle when that happened.
>Now I try and start and it won't turn over and doesn't smell like gas
>at the motor. The rear of the van smells like gas. The fuel pump is
>coming on as it should and was replaced a year ago.
>
>Does anyone know what may cause this? Fuel line maybe?

The exhaust smells of fuel, so you know there is fuel in the cylinder.
Next question... do you have spark? Pull a plug and see.

To start, you need FAST: Fuel, Air, Spark, and Timing. Check all four.
--scott
Old February 3rd 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dahpater

On Feb 3, 10:41*am, Todd > wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If someone would be kind enough to help that would be great. My van
> stalled last night and won't turn over at all. I had a very very
> strong smell of gas from the rear of the vehicle when that happened.
> Now I try and start and it won't turn over and doesn't smell like gas
> at the motor. The rear of the van smells like gas. The fuel pump is
> coming on as it should and was replaced a year ago.
>
> Does anyone know what may cause this? Fuel line maybe?
>
> Thanks,
> Todd

Your going to have to explain "it won't turn over."
Usually that means the starter is not running and the engine is not
turning over/cranking. If that is the case, you have a starting
problem. Bad battery, bad connections, bad starter, energize wire not
seeing currunt, etc. What is it doing/not doing?
Old February 4th 08, 06:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Todd[_4_]

On Feb 3, 4:10 pm, dahpater > wrote:
> On Feb 3, 10:41 am, Todd > wrote:
>
> > Hi all,

> > If someone would be kind enough to help that would be great. My van
> > stalled last night and won't turn over at all. I had a very very
> > strong smell of gas from the rear of the vehicle when that happened.
> > Now I try and start and it won't turn over and doesn't smell like gas
> > at the motor. The rear of the van smells like gas. The fuel pump is
> > coming on as it should and was replaced a year ago.

> > Does anyone know what may cause this? Fuel line maybe?

> > Thanks,
> > Todd

> Your going to have to explain "it won't turn over."
> Usually that means the starter is not running and the engine is not
> turning over/cranking. If that is the case, you have a starting
> problem. Bad battery, bad connections, bad starter, energize wire not
> seeing currunt, etc. What is it doing/not doing?

That was a bad explanation on my part. The motor cranks but acts as if
it is not getting spark or fuel. I do not smell any gas at the motor
at all. The gas smell is very strong towards the rear of the vehicle.
The gas smell gets stronger when I engage the fuel pump without
turning the motor. Do you think this could just be a bad fuel line? I
will check for spark tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help.

Todd
Old February 4th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

maybe test the fuel pressure.
Old February 4th 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dave Allured

Todd wrote:

> On Feb 3, 4:10 pm, dahpater > wrote:
> > On Feb 3, 10:41 am, Todd > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,

> > > If someone would be kind enough to help that would be great. My van
> > > stalled last night and won't turn over at all. I had a very very
> > > strong smell of gas from the rear of the vehicle when that happened.
> > > Now I try and start and it won't turn over and doesn't smell like gas
> > > at the motor. The rear of the van smells like gas. The fuel pump is
> > > coming on as it should and was replaced a year ago.

> > > Does anyone know what may cause this? Fuel line maybe?

> > > Thanks,
> > > Todd

> > Your going to have to explain "it won't turn over."
> > Usually that means the starter is not running and the engine is not
> > turning over/cranking. If that is the case, you have a starting
> > problem. Bad battery, bad connections, bad starter, energize wire not
> > seeing currunt, etc. What is it doing/not doing?

> That was a bad explanation on my part. The motor cranks but acts as if
> it is not getting spark or fuel. I do not smell any gas at the motor
> at all. The gas smell is very strong towards the rear of the vehicle.
> The gas smell gets stronger when I engage the fuel pump without
> turning the motor. Do you think this could just be a bad fuel line? I
> will check for spark tomorrow.
>
> Thanks for all the help.
>
> Todd

Todd,

You may have an immediate hazard on your hands. Be careful.

You REALLY need to figure out if that gasoline odor is from the tail
pipe or not. This is the difference between an engine issue which
others have been discussing, and a broken fuel line which is a
completely different process of diagnosis and is very hazardous. If not
the tail pipe, then read on.

This bothers me: "The gas smell gets stronger when I engage the fuel
pump without turning the motor." Very bad! That is what you would
expect from a break in the fuel line somewhere under the rear of the
car.

Where is the fuel pump located? Run the pump for a few seconds, then
start checking everything between the gas tank and the engine for a
visible leak. Start at wherever you think is the source of the odor.
Youy're going to have to get under the vehicle of course. In particular
check around the fuel line connections on the gas tank.

I must remind you of stupid common sense stuff like only work on this
outdoors and don't do anything that might make a spark near gasoline
odors. (Spark tests inside the engine compartment are okay if it does
not reek of gasoloine.)

DO NOT go under the car with the fuel pump turned on. You might want an
assistant standing by with a fire extinguisher. Non smoker of course.
;-)

Please don't make us read the end of this thread on the five o'clock
news. Good luck.

--Dave
Old February 5th 08, 09:58 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Master Asshole

I agree!
Turn the key "on" and get out and look underneath the vehicle. If you see
ANYTHING dripping,
turn off the ignition key and let it air out a little bit, then get
underneath and look for a loose hose
connection, broken line... something in the area you say fluid dripping...
if you do!
Be careful!!!

Old February 5th 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Todd[_4_]

On Feb 5, 4:58 am, "Master Asshole" > wrote:
> I agree!
> Turn the key "on" and get out and look underneath the vehicle. If you see
> ANYTHING dripping,
> turn off the ignition key and let it air out a little bit, then get
> underneath and look for a loose hose
> connection, broken line... something in the area you say fluid dripping...
> if you do!
> Be careful!!!
>
> "Dave Allured" > wrote in message

> > Todd wrote:

> >> That was a bad explanation on my part. The motor cranks but acts as if
> >> it is not getting spark or fuel. I do not smell any gas at the motor
> >> at all. The gas smell is very strong towards the rear of the vehicle.
> >> The gas smell gets stronger when I engage the fuel pump without
> >> turning the motor. Do you think this could just be a bad fuel line? I
> >> will check for spark tomorrow.

> >> Thanks for all the help.

> >> Todd

> > Todd,

> > You may have an immediate hazard on your hands. Be careful.

> > You REALLY need to figure out if that gasoline odor is from the tail
> > pipe or not. This is the difference between an engine issue which
> > others have been discussing, and a broken fuel line which is a
> > completely different process of diagnosis and is very hazardous. If not
> > the tail pipe, then read on.

> > This bothers me: "The gas smell gets stronger when I engage the fuel
> > pump without turning the motor." Very bad! That is what you would
> > expect from a break in the fuel line somewhere under the rear of the
> > car.

> > Where is the fuel pump located? Run the pump for a few seconds, then
> > start checking everything between the gas tank and the engine for a
> > visible leak. Start at wherever you think is the source of the odor.
> > Youy're going to have to get under the vehicle of course. In particular
> > check around the fuel line connections on the gas tank.

> > I must remind you of stupid common sense stuff like only work on this
> > outdoors and don't do anything that might make a spark near gasoline
> > odors. (Spark tests inside the engine compartment are okay if it does
> > not reek of gasoloine.)

> > DO NOT go under the car with the fuel pump turned on. You might want an
> > assistant standing by with a fire extinguisher. Non smoker of course.
> > ;-)

> > Please don't make us read the end of this thread on the five o'clock
> > news. Good luck.

> > --Dave

Thanks all. It was a bad fuel line. I am just glad I didn't go up in
flames! Once underneath I saw it. I replaced the line and it is all
better now.

Thanks again,
Todd
Old February 5th 08, 05:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_1_]

"Todd" > wrote in message
> Thanks all. It was a bad fuel line. I am just glad I didn't go up in
> flames! Once underneath I saw it. I replaced the line and it is all
> better now.

Are you sure you were glad......

Ed