how to clean valve guides for 88 civic pgmfi...

Old August 14th 05, 04:50 PM
Rick

Default how to clean valve guides for 88 civic pgmfi...

anyone have a link to instructions for a non mechanic?

thanks a lot

I couldn't find much after 30 minutes of looking.
Old August 14th 05, 05:12 PM
jim beam

Rick wrote:
> anyone have a link to instructions for a non mechanic?
>
> thanks a lot
>
> I couldn't find much after 30 minutes of looking.

you want to clean valve guides??? why?

Old August 14th 05, 05:31 PM
Rick

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:12:16 -0700, jim beam >
wrote:

>Rick wrote:
>> anyone have a link to instructions for a non mechanic?
>>
>> thanks a lot
>>
>> I couldn't find much after 30 minutes of looking.

>you want to clean valve guides??? why?

burning oil. I'm pretty sure it's rings but thought I should check
the... you know... maybe it's not the valve guides I'm interested in
but there is something else besides the pcv valve and tube that I read
I'm supposed to clean. some other guide?

thanks
Old August 14th 05, 05:52 PM
jim beam

Rick wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:12:16 -0700, jim beam >
> wrote:
>

>>Rick wrote:
>>
>>>anyone have a link to instructions for a non mechanic?
>>>
>>>thanks a lot
>>>
>>>I couldn't find much after 30 minutes of looking.

>>you want to clean valve guides??? why?

> burning oil. I'm pretty sure it's rings but thought I should check
> the... you know... maybe it's not the valve guides I'm interested in
> but there is something else besides the pcv valve and tube that I read
> I'm supposed to clean. some other guide?
>
> thanks

ok. valve guides are a major strip-down job, and it's the stem seals
that would need replacing. assuming this is high mileage, this motor
may just be worn out.

things you can do though include the pcv valve, check timing [too
advanced = too hot & more oil vaporization] mixture [excess fuel dilutes
the film on the cylinder walls], etc. try a different brand of oil too.
some of the cheaper stuff doesn't do much for the engine seals & you
lose oil that way too. i like castrol as it stopped leaks on my car,
but ymmv.