2005 Wrangler Soft top on 99 Wrangler

Old March 4th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default 2005 Wrangler Soft top on 99 Wrangler

Heyas.

A guy I know bought a 2005 Wrangler soft top. The first thing he did
was replace the softie with a bikini. He offered me the soft top for
$200 including all of the hardware.

I have a 99 Sport with a factory hardtop. I'd LOVE to have a soft top!
Does anyone know if it would fit? Even if I have to buy a conversion
kit or something...

Thanks!

Joseph

Old March 4th 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

yes it will fit

oups.com...

Old March 4th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Ice wrote:
> Very cool! Thanks. Will it require anything more than all the
> mounting hardware that came with the 2005 top? He said it comes with
> everything it had on it. It 'looks' like a perfect fit, but with
> Chrysler making changes like they have, I'm afraid to go on looks
> alone.
>
> I did take your word on it though, and just called and closed the deal.
> Thanks!
>
> Joseph

If it doesn't fit, you can always sell it someone with an "older" Jeep.

Good price, BTW, I just paid almost $500 for a TJ replace-a-top and
used my old hardware. I still needed an additional piece of weatherseal
on the header to stop the leak. Frost King # V27W works well.
Old March 4th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

you will need the 2 door surrounds the 2 tail gate pieces and the 2 rollbar
pieces..that should be all the hardware .....and of course the bow assembly
which the top is on

oups.com...

Old March 5th 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I put a 2003 soft top on my 99 TJ. It will fit, but you'll need the
following:

- bows from a 2003+ top
- door surrounds (97+ are just fine)
- Mounts for the rollbar uprights (2003+ ONLY -- they are different than
97 - 02)
- Tabs for the rear of the tub where the window connects

That's it! I had the original top on mine when I found a barely used '03
sailcloth (for $150... hehehe). Luckily, the guy included all the related
hardware, so I had the mounts that go on the rollbar uprights. Before I put
them on, the top flapped a lot. Now it is MUCH quieter.

- Eric
99 TJ SE

oups.com...

Old March 6th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Ok...

Now you guys have me scared. I can't find this stuff. Can someone
recommend a site for them?

Old March 6th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

What stuff? The bows I am referring to are all the metal rods that the soft
top material is attached to.

The brackets can be bought from the dealership for pretty cheap, actually.
The guy I sold my top too needed the ones for the back of the tub (his came
from the factory with only a hard top, so it didn't have the tabs).

- Eric
oups.com...

Old March 6th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Ice - go take a lookey at another Jeep what has a soft top so you can
identify these parts, no problem.
Tomes

oups.com...