Radial Pull on New Car?

Old June 19th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Radial Pull on New Car?

Have a new Expedition with 900 miles on it. Truck pulls to the right
slightly. Dealer said the alignment was dead on, and it maybe radial
pull. Is this possible on new tires?

Old June 19th 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Walsh

If the front tires are matched they will not cause pull. To completely eliminate pull you might need tires that are the same size and brand and have the same amount of tread and inflation pressure. With only 900 miles this should not be a problem. Try switching tires. If you switch front to rear the pull should disappear. If you switch the front tires left to right you might make it pull in the opposite direction. If you can narrow the problem down to one tire it could be because of a defective tire e.g. a bad belt.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old June 19th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dahpater

On Jun 19, 1:12 pm, wrote:
> Have a new Expedition with 900 miles on it. Truck pulls to the right
> slightly. Dealer said the alignment was dead on, and it maybe radial
> pull. Is this possible on new tires?

Yes

Old June 19th 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Jun 19, 10:37 am, Mike Walsh > wrote:
> If the front tires are matched they will not cause pull. To completely eliminate pull you might need tires that are the same size and brand and have the same amount of tread and inflation pressure. With only 900 miles this should not be a problem. Try switching tires. If you switch front to rear the pull should disappear. If you switch the front tires left to right you might make it pull in the opposite direction. If you can narrow the problem down to one tire it could be because of a defective tire e.g. a bad belt.
>
> wrote:
>
> > Have a new Expedition with 900 miles on it. Truck pulls to the right
> > slightly. Dealer said the alignment was dead on, and it maybe radial
> > pull. Is this possible on new tires?

> --
> Mike Walsh
> West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

Thanks. I will try this.

Old June 20th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Have a new Expedition with 900 miles on it. Truck pulls to the right
> slightly. Dealer said the alignment was dead on, and it maybe radial
> pull. Is this possible on new tires?

May I ask, what kind of tires came with this vehicle?

Old June 20th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Jun 19, 6:12 pm, > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > Have a new Expedition with 900 miles on it. Truck pulls to the right
> > slightly. Dealer said the alignment was dead on, and it maybe radial
> > pull. Is this possible on new tires?

> May I ask, what kind of tires came with this vehicle?

I swapped the front right to the front left and it pulls exactly as it
did before. That would indicate the alignment is the culprit I
assume.

The tires are Continental Contitrac TR 17"

Old June 20th 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dahpater

On Jun 20, 11:28 am, wrote:
> On Jun 19, 6:12 pm, > wrote:
>
> > > wrote in message

> roups.com...

> > > Have a new Expedition with 900 miles on it. Truck pulls to the right
> > > slightly. Dealer said the alignment was dead on, and it maybe radial
> > > pull. Is this possible on new tires?

> > May I ask, what kind of tires came with this vehicle?

> I swapped the front right to the front left and it pulls exactly as it
> did before. That would indicate the alignment is the culprit I
> assume.
>
> The tires are Continental Contitrac TR 17"

If it isn't the brakes, tire pressure, yea. Have it checked by someone
else. Preferrable by an alignment shop that people recommed. Tell them
that your having a problem and you would like it as close to the
recommeded specs as possible. Ask them for a before and after print
out also. If their any good, they'll show and explain everything to
ya. If they don't want to, don't have them do it.

Old June 21st 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Jun 19, 6:12 pm, > wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> >
> > oups.com...
> >
> > > Have a new Expedition with 900 miles on it. Truck pulls to the right
> > > slightly. Dealer said the alignment was dead on, and it maybe radial
> > > pull. Is this possible on new tires?

> > May I ask, what kind of tires came with this vehicle?

> I swapped the front right to the front left and it pulls exactly as it
> did before. That would indicate the alignment is the culprit I
> assume.
>
> The tires are Continental Contitrac TR 17"

That is the way I would read it, unless you have some brake drag or other
reason
it would pull to the right. With only 900 miles, that would not ordinarily
be a problem.

I tend to doubt the good will of the dealership (but, then, what else is
new)