Yellowed lens on headlights for 98JGC

Old May 8th 10, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Cappy2112

Default Yellowed lens on headlights for 98JGC

Is there any way to clear/restore yellowed hedalights on older
vehicles, without replacing the entire headlight assembly?

The lenses on my 98JGC are quite yellow, I was thinking about
replacing the entire headlamp.

I took the Jeep to a car wash today and they "offered to restore my
headlights" for $49.
I don't know if this really works or is just a scam.

thanks
Old May 8th 10, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Cappy2112 wrote:
> Is there any way to clear/restore yellowed hedalights on older
> vehicles, without replacing the entire headlight assembly?
>
> The lenses on my 98JGC are quite yellow, I was thinking about
> replacing the entire headlamp.

And the lamp assemblies are not cheap.

> I took the Jeep to a car wash today and they "offered to restore my
> headlights" for $49.
> I don't know if this really works or is just a scam.

It's cheaper to do it yourself.

I use a buffball with flitz, but there are many other products out
there. McGuires makes a good kit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t1RBw0IGXA

Last ditch method. I recommend trying the others first.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...enance/4252611

Once the protective clearcoat is off the lenses they will yellow
again in a year or so. More if you leave the car outside all the
time.

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://revbeergoggles.com
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks

Old May 9th 10, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

DougW wrote:
> Cappy2112 wrote:
>> Is there any way to clear/restore yellowed hedalights on older
>> vehicles, without replacing the entire headlight assembly?
>>
>> The lenses on my 98JGC are quite yellow, I was thinking about
>> replacing the entire headlamp.

> And the lamp assemblies are not cheap.

I got a full set, both lights and park/turn signals for just over $50
from Amazon. Even fit just like the originals.

>> I took the Jeep to a car wash today and they "offered to restore my
>> headlights" for $49.
>> I don't know if this really works or is just a scam.

> It's cheaper to do it yourself.
>
> I use a buffball with flitz, but there are many other products out
> there. McGuires makes a good kit.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t1RBw0IGXA
>
> Last ditch method. I recommend trying the others first.
> http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...enance/4252611
>
> Once the protective clearcoat is off the lenses they will yellow
> again in a year or so. More if you leave the car outside all the
> time.

You can get a protective coating..... about as easy to just swap them.

Old May 9th 10, 02:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Larry[_21_]

On May 8, 11:43*am, Cappy2112 > wrote:
> Is there any way to clear/restore yellowed hedalights on older
> vehicles, without replacing the entire headlight assembly?
>
> The lenses on my 98JGC are quite yellow, I was thinking about
> replacing the entire headlamp.
>
> I took the Jeep to a car wash today and they "offered to restore my
> headlights" for $49.
> I don't know if this really works or is just a scam.
>
> thanks

Harbor Freight sells a cleaning kit for $12, sometimes on sale for
half that....locally the jeep dealer here wants a $100 to clean
them...Larry
Old May 10th 10, 02:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_8_]

I need to get one of those kits and do the lenses on the tow pig.

Old May 10th 10, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Kate wrote:
> I need to get one of those kits and do the lenses on the tow pig.

If your not too particular, McGuires scratch remover compound will
also clean them up for a while. After all it's also just a mild
abrasive.

--
DougW

Old May 11th 10, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

DougW wrote:
> Kate wrote:
>> I need to get one of those kits and do the lenses on the tow pig.

> If your not too particular, McGuires scratch remover compound will
> also clean them up for a while. After all it's also just a mild
> abrasive.

The tricky part is using a soft enough pad and keeping speed down so you
don't heat up the plastic lens, as if you do that will leave grooves in
it. Balancing that with the desire to get it finished before the
millenium ends is tricky as is just about any plastic polishing job.
The kits mostly have a fairly soft polishing brush and dont allow
excessive pressure by making the polisher out of foam. They also tend
to snag on the aiming bumps.

J. C. Whitney and Amazon both have replacement lenses that are much
cheaper than the kit plus half a day of polishing. They also seem much
brighter as you can see the bulb from the front.

Old May 12th 10, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_8_]

"Lon" > wrote in message
DougW wrote:
> Kate wrote:
>> I need to get one of those kits and do the lenses on the tow pig.

> If your not too particular, McGuires scratch remover compound will
> also clean them up for a while. After all it's also just a mild
> abrasive.

The tricky part is using a soft enough pad and keeping speed down so you
don't heat up the plastic lens, as if you do that will leave grooves in
it. Balancing that with the desire to get it finished before the
millenium ends is tricky as is just about any plastic polishing job.
The kits mostly have a fairly soft polishing brush and dont allow
excessive pressure by making the polisher out of foam. They also tend
to snag on the aiming bumps.

J. C. Whitney and Amazon both have replacement lenses that are much
cheaper than the kit plus half a day of polishing. They also seem much
brighter as you can see the bulb from the front.
---

Thanks Lon & Doug..

maybe replacement lenses would be the answer.

I watched a video some time ago that demonstrated how to polish the lenses
and when they were all finished they put a protective clear coat on it.

I dunno.
I have so many other things to think about that I likely won't get to the
truck until next year sometime.

Old May 12th 10, 05:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea[_1_]

Kate wrote:

> "Lon" > wrote in message
> DougW wrote:
>> Kate wrote:
>>> I need to get one of those kits and do the lenses on the tow pig.

>> If your not too particular, McGuires scratch remover compound will
>> also clean them up for a while. After all it's also just a mild
>> abrasive.
>>

> The tricky part is using a soft enough pad and keeping speed down so you
> don't heat up the plastic lens, as if you do that will leave grooves in
> it. Balancing that with the desire to get it finished before the
> millenium ends is tricky as is just about any plastic polishing job.
> The kits mostly have a fairly soft polishing brush and dont allow
> excessive pressure by making the polisher out of foam. They also tend
> to snag on the aiming bumps.
>
> J. C. Whitney and Amazon both have replacement lenses that are much
> cheaper than the kit plus half a day of polishing. They also seem much
> brighter as you can see the bulb from the front.
> ---
>
> Thanks Lon & Doug..
>
> maybe replacement lenses would be the answer.
>
> I watched a video some time ago that demonstrated how to polish the lenses
> and when they were all finished they put a protective clear coat on it.
>
> I dunno.
> I have so many other things to think about that I likely won't get to the
> truck until next year sometime.

There are coatings available for UV protection - similar to the thin stuff
Herculiner supplies to keep black black for more than a month. I used one a
couple of weeks ago after we cleaned up a sign cover over at the church -
found several choices at the glass place that we bought the new cover from.
Lot cheaper than Lexan but pardon my increasingly short memory as I'll be
darned if I can remember the name of the stuff.

--
Will Honea

Old May 12th 10, 07:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
C.L. \Budd\ Cochran

I'd use good old liquid Turtle Wax (but not the abrasive formula).

Or, after you get them restrored, everytime you wax your vehicle, wax all
the lenses and buff carefully.

I've done it for years on my own cars and used the trick to help old lenses
in a dealership wash rack job I had.

--
C.L. "Budd" Cochran
Pray for the Obama administration Psalm 109:8

ABS Light on 98JGC Cappy2112 Jeep 5 August 24th 09 11:23 PM
FS: Factory AM/FM Radio Cassette Player from 98JGC. $125 + shipping Cappy2112 Jeep 6 November 23rd 08 06:20 PM
98JGC 5.2 Stumbles at cold start [email protected] Jeep 3 April 18th 06 03:12 PM
Yellowed headlights/"Diamond-cut" clear lenses FS Ford Explorer 3 January 8th 06 05:12 AM
Headlight Lens Richard Yount Ford Mustang 2 December 29th 04 04:42 AM