possible to replace windshield on '84 rabbit by yourself?

Old April 6th 09, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Reid Fleming[_2_]

Default possible to replace windshield on '84 rabbit by yourself?

is it possible/reasonable to replace the windshield of a '84
(diesel) rabbit by yourself? none of the books i have (haynes,
bentley, sealey) even mention the windshield at all. is it
difficult?

Old April 6th 09, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Ears

You can do it. I watched the guy do it on my MK2 Golf. No special
tools. It looked pretty simple. Chiseled out the seal and popped out
the windshield. He used a new seal (gasket). You'll probably want to
order that with the glass in case you tear the old one. He used some
kind of caulk on the inside. Here's a link to a video. It's not a
Rabbit, but it gives you an idea of the process.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/131538...d_replacement/
Old April 6th 09, 01:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

It is glued in and the guy used a new trim piece when my Rabbit
windshield was replaced. Note that glue is part of the safety system
of a car. On cars with air bags it is even more important as the air
bag braces against the windshield. There have been exposes on TV about
improper windshield replacement and the windshields blowing out when
the airbag deploys.

Note that ideally on a Rabbit the old windshield is removed. You fix
up the rust. Let the repair cure a few days before you glue in the new
windshield. If it was me I would price out a new windshield installed
before I would mess with trying to install a used windshield. I think
I would rather someone else be responsible for accidentally breaking a
new windshield. That said I have replace a number of old Beetle
windshields and I have removed and reinstalled a rear window on my
Rabbit.

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 19:12:44 -0700 (PDT), Ears

Old April 6th 09, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
SFC

It's very easy. They are not glued so just kick out the old one and pop in
the new one using a piece of electrical wire in the seal to pull it in. I
always lube the seal with some wax oil which make it easier and at the same
time protects against corrosion...

SFC

Old April 6th 09, 10:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
SnoBrdr

Reid Fleming > wrote:

>is it possible/reasonable to replace the windshield of a '84
>(diesel) rabbit by yourself? none of the books i have (haynes,
>bentley, sealey) even mention the windshield at all. is it
>difficult?

Anything is possible but if you have no experience, leave it to an
expert.
Old April 6th 09, 11:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Nate Nagel[_2_]

SnoBrdr wrote:
> Reid Fleming > wrote:
>
>> is it possible/reasonable to replace the windshield of a '84
>> (diesel) rabbit by yourself? none of the books i have (haynes,
>> bentley, sealey) even mention the windshield at all. is it
>> difficult?

> Anything is possible but if you have no experience, leave it to an
> expert.

If it is a gasketed style window (not glued in) there is no reason a
motivated DIYer (with a helper) can't knock this out.

In fact, I'd bet that the DIYer will do a better job; he'll repaint the
lip if necessary (rust) before installing the windshield; the pro will
be trying to get out of your driveway and to his next call.

Now if it's glued in... yeah, that's probably a pro job. I still busted
the windshield out of my '89 GTI and painted (actually POR-15'd) the lip
myself *then* called the pro to come replace it, because I didn't want
it to leak.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old April 7th 09, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 18:36:47 -0400, Nate Nagel >
wrote:

>SnoBrdr wrote:
>> Reid Fleming > wrote:
>>
>>> is it possible/reasonable to replace the windshield of a '84
>>> (diesel) rabbit by yourself? none of the books i have (haynes,
>>> bentley, sealey) even mention the windshield at all. is it
>>> difficult?

>> Anything is possible but if you have no experience, leave it to an
>> expert.

>If it is a gasketed style window (not glued in) there is no reason a
>motivated DIYer (with a helper) can't knock this out.
>
>In fact, I'd bet that the DIYer will do a better job; he'll repaint the
>lip if necessary (rust) before installing the windshield; the pro will
>be trying to get out of your driveway and to his next call.
>
>Now if it's glued in... yeah, that's probably a pro job. I still busted
>the windshield out of my '89 GTI and painted (actually POR-15'd) the lip
>myself *then* called the pro to come replace it, because I didn't want
>it to leak.
>
>nate

It was not a gasket install on my 84. It was glued in with a bit of
new trim.
Old April 8th 09, 12:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Unless you have the sill and the parts and materials, I
suggest you leave it to the pros.

They make it look easy, but it is not going to be that easy
for you. They have the materials and tools, which you can buy if you
know what to buy, and you need the glass. Now add up the tools and
glass, and I suspect you will find you can get the glass replaced for
less.
Old April 8th 09, 06:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Don't know about a 84, but new ones have a special glue that needs to
be heated and applied to clean (oil- and fingerprint-free glass). It's
a part of many cars' structural strength. And you don't close the
windows and slam the door shut before "drive-away" time. I'd leave it
to a local authorized PPG replacement glass shop. PPG makes good
stuff:

http://corporateportal.ppg.com/NA/Ae...ransparencies/
http://corporateportal.ppg.com/NA/Gl...G/400_AboutUs/