Projector Headlights

Old January 25th 09, 01:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_4_]

Default Projector Headlights & deer

"WindsorFox<[SS]>" > wrote in message
> Jim Warman wrote:
>> Idiotic? (sanctimonious I can handle). Idiocy is wondering how that
>> ****ing deer became wedged firmly in ones grill....
>>
>> FWIW... idiocy.... indeed.... two weeks ago I attended the memorial
>> service for a friend... He hit a moose on the highway.... He was a member
>> of the fire department - he and I were on many calls together... He and I
>> trusted each other with our lives.
>>
>> One moment of inattention.... one moment in a sea of moments considering
>> the number of animal related calls we have both attended...
>>
>> **** you and your view of what may or may not be idiotic... Those animals
>> are out there... we should expect them to do unexpected things. (Oh,
>> **** - did someone leave the gate to the forest open again?). To believe
>> that we can drive through big game country without encountering big game
>> is idiotic.... To pretend it isn't the drivers fault when an incident
>> occurs is sanctimonious....
>>

> Being miffed because a friend died hitting a moose is no excuse to
> blame the driver for it. You expect everyone to drive 30MPH or less for
> the duration of being out in the country? And that would be always,
> because they pop out 24/7 365. Give me a break...
>
> --
>

> "Pot, thy colour is black, thy material make-up is primarily of iron and
> thy criminal record is that of soliciting for the purpose of
> prostitution." - Marc B.

....and I'm not exactly talking about wide open country.

I've seen deer strikes from behind. I saw the deer, I saw the car ahead take
evasive action, I saw the inevitable collision. I wondered if there was
something else the driver could have done.

In my case, I never saw the deer. It crossed between a line of oncoming
traffic to slam up against my car. There was no warning, no split-second
time during which I could have done anything. I don't blame the deer (it's a
deer), but I'm not sure that it was my fault either, other than just "being
there." It was an unhappy meeting of nature and machine. It happens, all too
frequently.

These are the suburbs outside of Philadelphia. Not open countryside, but
settled neighborhoods. Yes, I know that deer exist, and yes, I keep an eye
out for deer, but sometimes - just once in a lifetime (so far), a deer tries
to commit suicide on my car, and there's just nothing that can be done about
it.

dwight

Old January 25th 09, 01:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_4_]

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 20:33:45 -0600, "WindsorFox<[SS]>"
> > wrote:
>
>>Jim Warman wrote:
>>> Not sure what that means... OK.. I can do that...
>>>
>>> Let's pretend that it is fall in the great arboreal forest (where I
>>> live).... At any given moment, a bear and her cubs.... a doe and her
>>> fawns.... a moose and her calves might appear in the road ahead....
>>> Gosh -
>>> what a freakin' surprise.... these animals are foraging for the winter
>>> that
>>> is surely coming and the rutting season they are in.... OMG... what
>>> next?
>>> Snow????
>>>
>>> I've driven these roads for many, many years... and (aside from a few
>>> self-induced close calls) I haven't had an encounter with an animal -
>>> though
>>> as a resuce tech with our fire department, I've cleaned up after a few
>>> idiots.... Wildlife on the road? This isn't unexpected - but some folks
>>> make
>>> it seem that way...
>>>
>>> You live where you expect to see deer on the road.... 'expect' is the
>>> operative word. If you expect to see deer on the road, there is no
>>> excuse
>>> for hitting one..... right?
>>>

>> That's a very idiotic and self sanctimonious view of the situation.

> Yup, sure is.... My daddy used to call that "youthful immortality" I
> remember when I was growing up, on Prom night, I knew where the cops
> were so I could get drunk and go home the "other way" and outsmart
> them. Somebody else's girlfriend would get pregnant, not mine, I
> knew how to stop in time, Me wear seat belts? No need, I knew how to
> drive and avoid accidents. Run out of gas? Nope, I knew how to go
> all the way down to E without having to push that POS to the Tennoco
> station ROFLMAO...
>
> Yup, avoiding deer because you're smarter than them and know where
> they are is about as wise as pulling out just in time..... How many
> daddies are made that way??? How many orphans are made by knowing
> what the deer are gonna do????? Hmmmmm

I understand the analogy, but it's not quite relevant in this case.

It's more like a huge chunk of toilet discharge from a passing airliner
falling to earth as a big piece of ice which slams through your windshield
and ends up in your lap. Was there something that you could have done to
avoid it?

Not in a million do-overs.

dwight

Old January 25th 09, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mike Lenker

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
> Idiotic? (sanctimonious I can handle). Idiocy is wondering how that
> ****ing deer became wedged firmly in ones grill....
>
> FWIW... idiocy.... indeed.... two weeks ago I attended the memorial
> service for a friend... He hit a moose on the highway.... He was a member
> of the fire department - he and I were on many calls together... He and I
> trusted each other with our lives.
>
> One moment of inattention.... one moment in a sea of moments considering
> the number of animal related calls we have both attended...
>
> **** you and your view of what may or may not be idiotic... Those animals
> are out there... we should expect them to do unexpected things. (Oh,
> **** - did someone leave the gate to the forest open again?). To believe
> that we can drive through big game country without encountering big game
> is idiotic.... To pretend it isn't the drivers fault when an incident
> occurs is sanctimonious....
>

> "WindsorFox<[SS]>" > wrote in message
>> Jim Warman wrote:
>>> Not sure what that means... OK.. I can do that...
>>>
>>> Let's pretend that it is fall in the great arboreal forest (where I
>>> live).... At any given moment, a bear and her cubs.... a doe and her
>>> fawns.... a moose and her calves might appear in the road ahead....
>>> Gosh - what a freakin' surprise.... these animals are foraging for the
>>> winter that is surely coming and the rutting season they are in....
>>> OMG... what next? Snow????
>>>
>>> I've driven these roads for many, many years... and (aside from a few
>>> self-induced close calls) I haven't had an encounter with an animal -
>>> though as a resuce tech with our fire department, I've cleaned up after
>>> a few idiots.... Wildlife on the road? This isn't unexpected - but some
>>> folks make it seem that way...
>>>
>>> You live where you expect to see deer on the road.... 'expect' is the
>>> operative word. If you expect to see deer on the road, there is no
>>> excuse for hitting one..... right?
>>>

>> That's a very idiotic and self sanctimonious view of the situation.
>>
>> --
>>

>> "Pot, thy colour is black, thy material make-up is primarily of iron and
>> thy criminal record is that of soliciting for the purpose of
>> prostitution." - Marc B.

what a douchebag....
you can "expect" to see lots of stuff while driving. doesn't mean you can
avoid it when you have less than a second to react. I've been there, I
know. A deer comes bolting outta the woods, first you see of it, it's 5' in
front of you. So that's avoidable? sure, stay the **** home. As someone
else stated, no less avoidable than a drunk driver. I had already hit mine
by the time I got my foot on the brakes. Sure, I could have slowed down
time and done a Matrix-type avoidance. Happens all the time.
So maybe that pilot in NYC should have expected the goose flock and avoided
it too?
Shut the **** up asshole. Idiotic and self-sanctimonious are just where I'd
start.
**** happens. You can prepare for **** all you want. It's still gonna
happen if that's what The Big Guy wants.
So what is someone supposed to do, not drive in these areas at all? That's
the ONLY way these incidents are avoidable. Or, maybe we just drive 10MPH
everywhere. You CANNOT avoid a wild animal that bolts out in front of you in
the dark, you cannot see it until too late. Even in daylight they are tough
to see. And if you're looking along the sides of the roads for them, that
means you aren't watching where you're going. Which makes you a hazard to
everyone else.
That you haven't hit one (yet) is just luck. Some people never do. Some
hit one almost every year. Makes no difference whether you expect it or
not.
Get a dose of reality and crawl back under your self-serving rock.

Your friend was not an idiot for hitting a moose. You are a total asshole,
douchebag, idiot, cretin, moron and ****tard for suggesting he was.
Inattention? I seriously doubt it. If you're driving through a herd and
hit one, then yeah maybe. One bolts in front of you, game over. Nothing
you can do about it. Get over yourself.

Old January 25th 09, 06:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

Default Projector Headlights

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 23:59:26 GMT, "Deputy Dog"
> wrote:

>"GILL" > wrote in message
>> Deputy Dog wrote:
>>> The Current headlights just isn't cutting it anymore so I'm going to
>>> replace them. I currently have smoked aftermarket jobs and they are
>>> clouding up< oxidizing> pretty bad despite using plastic polish
>>> frequently. So I figure to go a different way. I need something really
>>> bright seeing as I love to "fly" at night so I was thinking about the
>>> "Projector "type.
>>> Any Ideas brands to look at or stay away from?
>>>
>>> Dave
>>> 96 GTS with a few goodies

>> You going for that Honda look?

>Really haven't thought of it that way. Have any other suggestions? I do nice
>twisty country roads on the way home at night and need something brighter
>than what I have which are smoked OEM REPLACEMENTS.
>
>Dave

I've never found brighter bulbs to be much help when put into crappy
optics. I tried 100W in both my 92 Explorer and 99 GT. Neither
showed noticeable improvement and the Exp socket melted. On the GT I
bought PIAA model 1500 driving lights and installed them in the
location for the original "fog lights". With a few washers for shims
they mount pretty well to the original holes and while they don't
completely match the opening shape they look quite acceptable.
Old January 25th 09, 07:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Đavīd[_2_]

Jim Warman wrote...
> FWIW... idiocy.... indeed.... two weeks ago I attended the memorial
> service for a friend... He hit a moose on the highway.... He was a member
> of the fire department - he and I were on many calls together... He and I
> trusted each other with our lives.

I offer my condolences to your friend.

Davīd
Greenville, NC

Old January 25th 09, 07:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dick R.

I think people have to be aware of deer anytime of the day or
night, no matter where they live. Several years ago, a young
woman hit a deer on a nearby freeway entrance ramp in the middle
of the day. She was hysterical and inconsolable because the deer
was still thrashing about. The police arrived and put the deer
out of its misery. Also, a woman was killed on a local suburban
45 mph road when she hit a deer and it went through the windshield.
The deer have become "suburbanites".

JMHO,
Dick
Old January 25th 09, 08:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Đavīd[_2_]

Dick R. wrote...
>I think people have to be aware of deer anytime of the day or
> night, no matter where they live. Several years ago, a young
> woman hit a deer on a nearby freeway entrance ramp in the middle
> of the day. She was hysterical and inconsolable because the deer
> was still thrashing about. The police arrived and put the deer
> out of its misery. Also, a woman was killed on a local suburban
> 45 mph road when she hit a deer and it went through the windshield.
> The deer have become "suburbanites".

Deer are hazardous to North Carolina drivers

Highway crashes involving deer reached an all time high in 2006 with a total
of 15,940 reported in the state, according to the Highway Safety Research
Center at the University of North Caroina.

Davīd
Greenville, NC

http://www.newbernsj.com/onset?id=37...e=article.html

Old January 26th 09, 08:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich[_3_]

"Deputy Dog" > wrote in news:yRsel.1540
:

> Have any other suggestions?

My 1980 Capri has brand new original equipment halogen lights. So bright
they scare me at night. But, you are dealing with the old faded Aero
lights. Just another reason to stay away from Aeros.
Old January 26th 09, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Hairy

"dwight" > wrote in message

> "WindsorFox<[SS]>" > wrote in message
>> Jim Warman wrote:
>>> Idiotic? (sanctimonious I can handle). Idiocy is wondering how that
>>> ****ing deer became wedged firmly in ones grill....
>>>
>>> FWIW... idiocy.... indeed.... two weeks ago I attended the memorial
>>> service for a friend... He hit a moose on the highway.... He was a
>>> member of the fire department - he and I were on many calls together...
>>> He and I trusted each other with our lives.
>>>
>>> One moment of inattention.... one moment in a sea of moments considering
>>> the number of animal related calls we have both attended...
>>>
>>> **** you and your view of what may or may not be idiotic... Those
>>> animals are out there... we should expect them to do unexpected things.
>>> (Oh, **** - did someone leave the gate to the forest open again?). To
>>> believe that we can drive through big game country without encountering
>>> big game is idiotic.... To pretend it isn't the drivers fault when an
>>> incident occurs is sanctimonious....
>>>

>> Being miffed because a friend died hitting a moose is no excuse to
>> blame the driver for it. You expect everyone to drive 30MPH or less for
>> the duration of being out in the country? And that would be always,
>> because they pop out 24/7 365. Give me a break...
>>
>> --
>>

>> "Pot, thy colour is black, thy material make-up is primarily of iron and
>> thy criminal record is that of soliciting for the purpose of
>> prostitution." - Marc B.

> ...and I'm not exactly talking about wide open country.
>
> I've seen deer strikes from behind. I saw the deer, I saw the car ahead
> take evasive action, I saw the inevitable collision. I wondered if there
> was something else the driver could have done.
>
> In my case, I never saw the deer. It crossed between a line of oncoming
> traffic to slam up against my car. There was no warning, no split-second
> time during which I could have done anything. I don't blame the deer (it's
> a deer), but I'm not sure that it was my fault either, other than just
> "being there." It was an unhappy meeting of nature and machine. It
> happens, all too frequently.
>
> These are the suburbs outside of Philadelphia. Not open countryside, but
> settled neighborhoods. Yes, I know that deer exist, and yes, I keep an eye
> out for deer, but sometimes - just once in a lifetime (so far), a deer
> tries to commit suicide on my car, and there's just nothing that can be
> done about it.
>
> dwight

It's happened to me twice in my 44 years of driving. Both times it hit me
at the drivers door and did significant damage all the way back to the
bumper. Both times it was a very dark night and I couldn't see 'em coming.
There have also been numerous times that I've been able to avoid hitting, or
being hit, by a deer.
I'm not surprised that Warman has never had this happen. As he points out in
nearly every post, he is much better than the rest of us and the deer
would'nt dare.

Old January 26th 09, 09:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

elaich wrote:
> "Deputy Dog" > wrote in news:yRsel.1540
> :
>
>> Have any other suggestions?

> My 1980 Capri has brand new original equipment halogen lights. So bright
> they scare me at night. But, you are dealing with the old faded Aero
> lights. Just another reason to stay away from Aeros.

Well, that's kind of hard to do if you want a Mustang of these
particular years since that's the way Ford made them.