What's this tic-toc from behind the dash?

Old March 20th 09, 01:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bert Hyman

Default What's this tic-toc from behind the dash?

In Bert Hyman
> wrote:

> It didn't do it at all today. Maybe the few days of 50+F temperatures
> has the car feeling better.

Did it briefly today after the temps were in the upper 20sF last night and
mid 30sF daytime, so maybe it is something temperature related.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old March 24th 09, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Willy

"Bert Hyman" > wrote in message
> In Bert Hyman
> > wrote:
>
>> It didn't do it at all today. Maybe the few days of 50+F temperatures
>> has the car feeling better.
>>

> Did it briefly today after the temps were in the upper 20sF last night and
> mid 30sF daytime, so maybe it is something temperature related.
>
> --
> Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

My 09 definitely has an aux heater. I've tried to pin down at what temp it
starts operating (assuming a cold start) but haven't quiet got that figured
out as yet. You can hear something, I assume a relay that controls voltage,
that goes through an infrequent on off cycle, especially when idling at a
light. You will notice this is not longer evident once the temps warm up.

And interestingly, you'll also notice your mileage jumping significantly.
It's been in the 60's here today and I averaged 49.1 mpg on a 300 mile drive
today... one of my best days. Had a lot of 55 mph roads today so that's
what did it. But had it been 20 degrees cooler I would have been mid 40's
at best.

Wes

Old March 24th 09, 12:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

A thought.......................
Does this vehicle have electronic climate control?
Could it be the vents/flaps moving automatically?

Old March 26th 09, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Willy

"dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
> A thought.......................
> Does this vehicle have electronic climate control?
> Could it be the vents/flaps moving automatically?

No, manual controls. Actually would loved to had auto as all my cars in the
last 20 years have, however, the TDI is not available with this option.

Wes

Old March 26th 09, 12:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 22:22:10 -0400, "Willy" > wrote:

>"dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
. ..
>> A thought.......................
>> Does this vehicle have electronic climate control?
>> Could it be the vents/flaps moving automatically?
>>

>No, manual controls. Actually would loved to had auto as all my cars in the
>last 20 years have, however, the TDI is not available with this option.
>
>Wes

My 2003 TDI Jetta did the tick tock the other day. I thought I was
hearing things. I listened hard while driving and I heard no strange
voices, just the tick tock kind of like a turn signal sound but
faster. I had just used the turn signal but using it again it sounded
normal. I turned off the fan. Since I was driving I could not
concentrate on the noise. It went away. I found it mildly amusing as
there was this recent discussion here. No electric climate control.
Old April 1st 09, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
mdsimon

On Mar 16, 9:29*am, Bert Hyman > wrote:
> I have an '02 Passat wagon, 1.8T and AT.
>
> A few weeks ago I noticed a muted "tic-toc" sound coming from behind the
> dash, repeating at an interval of about 5 seconds or so.
>
> I noticed it first on driving down the alley and navigating the local
> streets. After a few minutes and on the freeway, I'd only hear the sound
> when the engine was under load, not when coasting or idling at a stop.
> After about 20 minutes or so, it would stop altogether, although on
> longer drives it will start up again for a few minutes and stop again.
>
> There are no starting or driveability issues and gas mileage is as
> expected for the temperature.
>
> Any idea what I'm hearing?
>
> --
> Bert Hyman * * *St. Paul, MN *

Bret
I wonder if you are hearing noise from something under the hood
rubbing against he firewall. The Passat has a compartment for the
battery next to the firewall. Have your mechanic remove the cover and
make sure everything is tight and and rattling around. The Passat also
has an auxiliary vacuum pump on the left front side of the engine
compartment, it is located under a plastic cover under behind the
headlamp. It kicks on and off, have your mechanic check this.
Hope this helps.
Mike
Old April 3rd 09, 07:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
mdsimon

On Mar 16, 9:29*am, Bert Hyman > wrote:
> I have an '02 Passat wagon, 1.8T and AT.
>
> A few weeks ago I noticed a muted "tic-toc" sound coming from behind the
> dash, repeating at an interval of about 5 seconds or so.
>
> I noticed it first on driving down the alley and navigating the local
> streets. After a few minutes and on the freeway, I'd only hear the sound
> when the engine was under load, not when coasting or idling at a stop.
> After about 20 minutes or so, it would stop altogether, although on
> longer drives it will start up again for a few minutes and stop again.
>
> There are no starting or driveability issues and gas mileage is as
> expected for the temperature.
>
> Any idea what I'm hearing?
>
> --
> Bert Hyman * * *St. Paul, MN *

Bert
Press the recycle air button and see if the noise happens.
I have seen the electronic actuators for the recycle air door go bad
and make noise. On some vw models this door will close on it's own to
prevent exahust from getting inside the car.
Mike