slugish vanagon

Old March 25th 09, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
george taylor

Default slugish vanagon

The problem I am having is this. If I am going up a hill, I live in NH, the
van has a hard time staying above 25. I have changed the fuel pump, filter
and plugs. I have also checked the air flow meter and it looks ok. It is an
85 with auto trans. Any ideas?

Old March 25th 09, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 21:42:44 GMT, "george taylor"
> wrote:

>The problem I am having is this. If I am going up a hill, I live in NH, the
>van has a hard time staying above 25. I have changed the fuel pump, filter
>and plugs. I have also checked the air flow meter and it looks ok. It is an
>85 with auto trans. Any ideas?

George, no idea exactly why, but if you are in west NH, three places
that I've foudn that are good a

1. Autex in Keene.
2. Gordie Davis (if he's still around, not seen him in years) in
Marlow.
3. John's in Vermont (not sure the town, but I do know John is still
working on 'em).

Where are you located? (I'm in the Monadnock region).
Old March 25th 09, 11:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Mar 25, 5:42*pm, "george taylor" >
wrote:
> The problem I am having is this. If I am going up a hill, I live in NH, the
> van has a hard time staying above 25. I have changed the fuel pump, filter
> and plugs. I have also checked the air flow meter and it looks ok. It is an
> 85 with auto trans. Any ideas?

Done a compression test?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old March 26th 09, 01:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

Clogged exhaust system?

Clean air filter? Some cars have junk screens before the air filter.
If your van has a screen make sure it is not clogged.

Old March 26th 09, 01:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

I see comments about clogged fuel tank.

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 21:17:21 -0400, Jim Behning

Old March 26th 09, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
george taylor

Yep, know all of those guys, just trying to figure this out before I take it
to them for a 2 bit item.

Old March 26th 09, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
george taylor

Yes That was one of the first things that I did, all good. At least that is
what I think they were around 130, been a while, did that last fall.
wrote:
> The problem I am having is this. If I am going up a hill, I live in NH,
> the
> van has a hard time staying above 25. I have changed the fuel pump, filter
> and plugs. I have also checked the air flow meter and it looks ok. It is
> an
> 85 with auto trans. Any ideas?

Done a compression test?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Old March 26th 09, 01:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 01:25:06 GMT, "george taylor"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
>>On Mar 25, 5:42 pm, "george taylor" >
>>wrote:
>>> The problem I am having is this. If I am going up a hill, I live in NH,
>>> the
>>> van has a hard time staying above 25. I have changed the fuel pump, filter
>>> and plugs. I have also checked the air flow meter and it looks ok. It is
>>> an
>>> 85 with auto trans. Any ideas?

>>Done a compression test?
>>

>Yes That was one of the first things that I did, all good. At least that is
>what I think they were around 130, been a while, did that last fall.

(please don't top post... )

130 sounds good. Is it running smoothly? I had a lot of problems with
an 88 Cabbie which I eventually traced to bad plug wires. Was really
odd, ran find some times, had problems other times.

Also you might want to check your injectors too.
Old March 26th 09, 03:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Mar 26, 9:48*am, PeterD > wrote:

> 130 sounds good. Is it running smoothly? I had a lot of problems with
> an 88 Cabbie which I eventually traced to bad plug wires. Was really
> odd, ran find some times, had problems other times.
>
> Also you might want to check your injectors too.

Given good compression, in rank order I would check (with no reference
to previous suggestions, so please forgive any repetitions):

a) Fuel Pressure - invest in or borrow a gauge for the purpose. They
are invaluable diagnostic tools. NOTE: A FI pressure gauge is a
serious bit of equipment, not the typical vacuum/pressure gauge of
carburetor days. This gets you a good filter and clear supply and
return lines when complete.
b) Spark plugs, wires, distributor, cap, rotor and so forth. Leaky
wires, carbon-tracks on the distributor cap poor connections, cracked
connections, wrong gap, worn electrode(s) and so forth.
c) Coil - Nice blue spark? Is the problem heat-related? Many VW coils
had heat-failure problems.
d) Check injectors. And run a few cans of Techron through the system
on general principles anyway.
e) Timing advance. Not sure how this is managed on that model, but it
may take a timing light to verify.

My bet is fuel or spark related. Were I to place odds they would go as
follows:

Fuel Related (clogged line or injector(s): 50%
Spark/ignition related (wires, connectors, distribution): 25%
Coil: 10%
Injectors (if vehicle generally properly maintained): 10%
All others: 5%

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

slugish a4 1.9 tdi looneytoons Audi 4 August 17th 07 09:56 PM
84 Vanagon, 2 L? Bart Holmquist VW water cooled 1 May 9th 07 08:15 PM
85 vanagon chancellot VW water cooled 1 May 11th 05 12:27 AM
Vanagon problems [email protected] VW water cooled 2 February 27th 05 11:29 AM
Vanagon Scott VW air cooled 0 December 10th 04 05:12 AM