More "pie in the sky" alternate fuel nonsense

Old June 25th 05, 06:16 PM
Spike

A lot of people tend to forget all the advancements which have come
from NASA, as well as all the advancements which improve our daily
lives thanks to developments made for military use. Some of which are
in use for many years before the public sees the benefits.

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 08:08:26 -0500, "WindsorFox[SS]"
> wrote:

>RichA wrote:
>> Anyone remember "fuel cells?" Back in the 1980s, companies
>> like Ballard Power were going to change the world by producing
>> vehicles that ran on them. What happened? Not much.
>> Now it's hydrogen power. Clean, cheap, etc, etc.
>> What's the catch?
>> You can't store enough in a car (unless you want a vehicle that looks
>> like the Mad Max mobile) to go any distance.
>> So now they are working to develop new materials to store it in some
>> solid form. Good luck. It's not going to happen this decade, maybe
>> not this century.
>>

> Actually a fuel cell is powered by Hydrogen and fuel cells have
>been in use by NASA for years. I've read an article about small home
>generators being run by them. Running a car won't be much farther away.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Old June 25th 05, 06:51 PM
rw

Spike wrote:

> As I further recall, that which
> would become the internet was a system developed during WWII between
> several universities in order to share information for the dev
> elopement of the atomic bomb.

Your recollection is incorrect.

The Internet started in the late 60s as the ARPANET, funded by DARPA,
the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (then ARPA). The
transition from a restricted network for government projects to a
utility open to everyone was what Gore rightly takes some credit for.

Old June 25th 05, 06:54 PM
rw

Spike wrote:

> You must never listen to any comedians, Jay Leno, or read anything on
> the .orgs......And you think things said about the Republicans, and in
> particular, the President, which were obviously either untrue, or bent
> out of proportion, have not become accepted "fact"? Like the one about
> President Bush knew in advance that the terrorists were going to drop
> the WTC? Just as was alleged against FDR regarding Pearl Harbor?
>
> I even heard that nobody was killed in the WTC attack. That it was
> just an excuse for the US to go to war. And all the people who would
> have been were spirited away before hand and are being held in Area
> 51, and are the basis for the show The 4400"..

I deplore and condemn all that misinformation. It just so happens that
those weren't the lies you were spreading around.

Old June 26th 05, 12:09 AM
Spike

The comment re OPEC is that OPEC fixes the prices no matter how
available or scarce.

Old June 26th 05, 12:17 AM
Spike

Still at the old it's OK for you to say/repeat anything which is
against the present administration whether or not it's factual, but I
am spreading lies if you don't agree with what I say. Seems I am not
the only one who heard the comments you deny he made, and you seem
overly sensitive about the whole thing.

Old June 26th 05, 12:27 AM
Spike

That is correct, however, there was a system which went before that.
To ignore what went before is to ignore history, or even to alter it,
as is in vogue today.

Gore would take credit for parting the red Sea for Moses if he thought
it would advance his political career.

Old June 26th 05, 01:07 AM
rw

Spike wrote:
> Still at the old it's OK for you to say/repeat anything which is
> against the present administration whether or not it's factual,

No, that's not OK. It's only OK when you stick to the facts. There are
plenty of damning facts about this administration -- there's no need to
make stuff up.

Old June 26th 05, 01:11 AM
rw

Spike wrote:

> That is correct, however, there was a system which went before that.
> To ignore what went before is to ignore history, or even to alter it,
> as is in vogue today.

Oh for God's sake, Spike. There weren't even any computers in WWII. It's
totally absurd to suggest that the Internet started in WWII.

> Gore would take credit for parting the red Sea for Moses if he thought
> it would advance his political career.

In that respect he's no better or worse than any other politician, but
this difference in this case is that Gore really WAS an important figure
in the creation of the civilian Internet and he deserves a great deal of
credit for his foresight and energy.

Old June 26th 05, 01:25 AM
rw

Spike wrote:

> The comment re OPEC is that OPEC fixes the prices no matter how
> available or scarce.

OPEC is only one player in the energy market, albeit a very big one. In
any case, the oil is theirs. They can charge anything they want for it,
but the market still dictates what you pay for gasoline. When the demand
goes up and the supply is constant, then the price goes up. Blaming all
that on OPEC is nonsense.

Old June 26th 05, 07:58 AM
Spike

I do not believe that at any point i have said it's ALL OPECs fault...
Neither is it GWBs fault.