97 TJ 4.0L Clutch Won't Release - Throw Out Bearing Gone?

Old January 14th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default 97 TJ 4.0L Clutch Won't Release - Throw Out Bearing Gone?

Evening,
Of course in the middle of the busiest intersection in town @ 5:00 pm I was
pulling up to the red light stopping, however, no clutch peddle pressure!
Having a hydraulic system I gave it several pumps hoping to get enough
pressure to at least get through the intersection, but no dice.
The clutch was stuck engaged with no chance of it releasing. My best bet was
to start it in gear and limp through and work from there.
Long story short I did finally get it home and on the driveway. I assumed
the possibility of the slave cylinder being blown or out of fluid. There was
no loud noises from below on the way home, so assumed no lose parts.
I checked fluid, it was low, but not dry. I pulled the slave cylinder out
and it was fully extended! I feared the worst at this point. I got a handy
mirror and peered inside and could see the clutch fork was fully pushed in,
almost down to the fly wheel. Basically bottomed out, but the cones in the
pressure plate were not pushed in. Almost looks like there is no throw out
bearing! I can't see any more because the slave cylinder hole is to small.
So what is this? Could the fork be bent in the middle keeping the throw out
bearing away from the pressure plate? Maybe broke on the pivot end? I'm up
near Seattle and we've had tons of rain with massive water puddles on our
gravel road. Possible the muck on the shaft keeping the throw out bearing
from moving jammed and then bent the fork?
Anyway, if anyone has had this happen or have some ideas please pass it on.
I have no problem fixing clutches etc, but some heads up on ordering parts
would be great.
Any heads up on pulling the tranny for clutch replacements? Clutch kit
recommendations?
Thanks
Retrojeep

Old January 14th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Not sure what's up, can you pull the fork out of the transmission? I'm from
Seattle too. What intersection were you in?

Carl

ink.net...

Old January 14th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I think you're going have to have to pull it apart, before you can
make any kind of guess: http://www.billhughes.com/TJclutchRelease.jpg
Please let us know what failed, as I can't imagine.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old January 14th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi Carl,
It's really strange, it is all the way down almost against the flywheel but
it will not move or retract. I put a screw driver and tapped, wiggled etc
on it and it is solid and will not budge. I did notice that before I pulled
out the slave, while running, you pushed down to the flow on the clutch
there was a grinding noise. Which from what I see now is the end of the
fork against the flywheel/clutch cover. I went out and fired it up with the
slave out just to see if it would pop back into place by some miracle. No
dice.
The fork is internal and does not extend to the outside of the bell-housing.
So you can't take it out/move it unless you pull the tranny.
I'm in Poulsbo, so I'm across the water from you. 25 straight days of rain
and more coming! I'll have to wait until July to get out there and work on
it! I'll drown in the yard!

Old January 14th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Maybe tomorrow I'll throw a heavy wire around the end of the fork and give
it a pull with some creative engineering. I figure I'll have to take it
apart anyway, but it sure is a puzzler. Maybe part of the throw-out bearing
is down in the cones and buried. Status update in a few days...
Thanks
Tqm

Old January 14th 06, 05:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The trans isn't hard to pull from your Jeep. Have you done one before?

Carl

nk.net...

>>> Thanks
>>> Retrojeep

Old January 14th 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Haven't pulled one from a TJ before, but have done several in the past. I'm
not to worried about it. Probably hose it all off tomorrow and get all the
muck out from underneath before I get to far into it. Can you get buy with
out pulling all the linkages off? Pull the shift handles off and let her
back enough to get in there? Of course, pull the drive shafts. Have a good
clutch recommendation?

Old January 14th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I did the Ax-5 in my 89 Wrangler. E-mail me at carlsaiyed at hot mail dot
com for some more tips.

Carl

nk.net...

Old January 14th 06, 05:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"Tqm" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Evening,
> Of course in the middle of the busiest intersection in town @ 5:00 pm I
> was pulling up to the red light stopping, however, no clutch peddle
> pressure! Having a hydraulic system I gave it several pumps hoping to get
> enough pressure to at least get through the intersection, but no dice.
> The clutch was stuck engaged with no chance of it releasing. My best bet
> was to start it in gear and limp through and work from there.
> Long story short I did finally get it home and on the driveway. I assumed
> the possibility of the slave cylinder being blown or out of fluid. There
> was no loud noises from below on the way home, so assumed no lose parts.
> I checked fluid, it was low, but not dry. I pulled the slave cylinder out
> and it was fully extended! I feared the worst at this point. I got a handy
> mirror and peered inside and could see the clutch fork was fully pushed
> in, almost down to the fly wheel. Basically bottomed out, but the cones in
> the pressure plate were not pushed in. Almost looks like there is no throw
> out bearing! I can't see any more because the slave cylinder hole is to
> small.
> So what is this? Could the fork be bent in the middle keeping the throw
> out bearing away from the pressure plate? Maybe broke on the pivot end?
> I'm up near Seattle and we've had tons of rain with massive water puddles
> on our gravel road. Possible the muck on the shaft keeping the throw out
> bearing from moving jammed and then bent the fork?
> Anyway, if anyone has had this happen or have some ideas please pass it
> on. I have no problem fixing clutches etc, but some heads up on ordering
> parts would be great.
> Any heads up on pulling the tranny for clutch replacements? Clutch kit
> recommendations?
> Thanks
> Retrojeep

I helped my nephew with his jeep last year. Same symtoms as yours. What
happens is the throw out bearing has two small ears on opposite sides that
make contact with the clutch fork. The two ears are held against the clutch
fork by spring clips. The spring clips rusted away allowing the throw out
bearing to rotate and pass through the clutch fork. It looked like it would
have been possible to just get some new spring clips but being we had it
apart we replaced the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. The
clutch fork had a few dings in it but we were able to reuse it.

Old January 14th 06, 05:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

How did you replace the pilot bearing in the crank? I have heard on the
6cyl, it's in the end of the crank.

Carl

"Mike" > wrote in message

> "Tqm" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> Evening,
>> Of course in the middle of the busiest intersection in town @ 5:00 pm I
>> was pulling up to the red light stopping, however, no clutch peddle
>> pressure! Having a hydraulic system I gave it several pumps hoping to get
>> enough pressure to at least get through the intersection, but no dice.
>> The clutch was stuck engaged with no chance of it releasing. My best bet
>> was to start it in gear and limp through and work from there.
>> Long story short I did finally get it home and on the driveway. I assumed
>> the possibility of the slave cylinder being blown or out of fluid. There
>> was no loud noises from below on the way home, so assumed no lose parts.
>> I checked fluid, it was low, but not dry. I pulled the slave cylinder out
>> and it was fully extended! I feared the worst at this point. I got a
>> handy mirror and peered inside and could see the clutch fork was fully
>> pushed in, almost down to the fly wheel. Basically bottomed out, but the
>> cones in the pressure plate were not pushed in. Almost looks like there
>> is no throw out bearing! I can't see any more because the slave cylinder
>> hole is to small.
>> So what is this? Could the fork be bent in the middle keeping the throw
>> out bearing away from the pressure plate? Maybe broke on the pivot end?
>> I'm up near Seattle and we've had tons of rain with massive water puddles
>> on our gravel road. Possible the muck on the shaft keeping the throw out
>> bearing from moving jammed and then bent the fork?
>> Anyway, if anyone has had this happen or have some ideas please pass it
>> on. I have no problem fixing clutches etc, but some heads up on ordering
>> parts would be great.
>> Any heads up on pulling the tranny for clutch replacements? Clutch kit
>> recommendations?
>> Thanks
>> Retrojeep

> I helped my nephew with his jeep last year. Same symtoms as yours. What
> happens is the throw out bearing has two small ears on opposite sides that
> make contact with the clutch fork. The two ears are held against the
> clutch fork by spring clips. The spring clips rusted away allowing the
> throw out bearing to rotate and pass through the clutch fork. It looked
> like it would have been possible to just get some new spring clips but
> being we had it apart we replaced the clutch, pressure plate and throw out
> bearing. The clutch fork had a few dings in it but we were able to reuse
> it.

AWA [OFFER] Clutch Release Bearing [email protected] General 0 January 13th 06 12:52 PM
throw out bearing mcola Mazda 5 December 2nd 05 10:15 PM
Knocking sound with clutch in - replaced throw out bearing and still there BeamGuy Honda 1 November 23rd 05 05:25 PM
Clutch Fork release rattle Jérémie Bédard Ford Mustang 3 January 12th 05 12:57 AM
Clutch Questions Jeff Strickland BMW 5 December 14th 04 11:45 PM