Change Power Steering Fluid

Old February 15th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Change Power Steering Fluid

I have a 2002 Ford focus with 27K
I recently took it to a mechanic for some scheduled maintenance and he
said that the power steering fluid was dirty and should be changed.
Several things make me wonder if this true:

1. I have never changed the power steering fluid on any car I have ever
owned in the last 30 years.
2. The Ford maintenance manual does not say anything about changing
this fluid at any of the regular scheduled service intervals.
3. The steering is not making any noise.

Any thoughts on this?

Old February 15th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Your mechanic needs braces for his kid??....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 15th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote:
>I have a 2002 Ford focus with 27K
>I recently took it to a mechanic for some scheduled maintenance and he
>said that the power steering fluid was dirty and should be changed.
>Several things make me wonder if this true:
>
>1. I have never changed the power steering fluid on any car I have ever
>owned in the last 30 years.
>2. The Ford maintenance manual does not say anything about changing
>this fluid at any of the regular scheduled service intervals.
>3. The steering is not making any noise.
>
>Any thoughts on this?

I think it's probably a good idea to change power steering fluid and
brake fluid every once in a while. It certainly can't hurt, it isn't
a lot of work, and if it extends the life of the seals just a little bit
it's worth the time and effort.

The manufacturer's recommendations are usually the _bare bones minimum_
you can do and expect your car to keep running.
--scott
Old February 15th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> Your mechanic needs braces for his kid??....

I believe in changing power steering fluid sooner or later, but three
or four years and 27,000 miles would definitely be "sooner" in my
opinion. The original poster might want to take a sample with a
turkey baster (domestic tranquility as well as health and safety hint:
get one from the dollar store and keep it in the garage) and look at
it in a clear jar to see if it has in fact gotten dirty in some way or
is much changed in appearance compared to new fluid.

It is a vented/sealed system and I'm thinking it shouldn't get
contaminated unless it's been under water or something, or somebody
left the lid off the reservoir, or the hoses have deteriorated. The
last will happen over time; and chemical changes can occur in a
hydraulic fluid with time and heat; but still, your car strikes me as
being rather too young to worry about that.

--Joe

Old February 15th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Power steering fluid breaks down over time as does any oil. Changing
the fluid every 30K will not cost a lot of money and will benefit you
in the long run. Servicing the fluid is a lot cheaper than replacing a
pump or rac.

Old February 15th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

John S. > wrote:

>It's a very good idea if you plan to keep the car past 100k. The oil
>gradually becomes contaminated and will gradually deteriorate seals on
>the rack and pump. A rack replacement is quite expensive, so a few
>p.s. fluid changes along the way is good insurance.

I don't know what current rates are, but I have changed a couple racks
on front wheel drive cars, and I would rather do a hundred fluid changes
than ever change a rack again.
--scott

Old February 16th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> John S. > wrote:
> >
> >It's a very good idea if you plan to keep the car past 100k. The oil
> >gradually becomes contaminated and will gradually deteriorate seals on
> >the rack and pump. A rack replacement is quite expensive, so a few
> >p.s. fluid changes along the way is good insurance.

> I don't know what current rates are, but I have changed a couple racks
> on front wheel drive cars, and I would rather do a hundred fluid changes
> than ever change a rack again.
> --scott

Yup. A Saab mechanic described the symptoms as morning sickness. The
steering doesn't seem to work well in the morning, but gets better as
the day progresses and within 6 months the seals are leaking. My
daughter handed over $1,000 for a rebuilt rack on her Saab 900 and
learned a valuable lesson in maintenance.

Can Castrol Dexron II A.T.F. be used as Power steering Fluid for HONDA Accord???? anupman Honda 7 February 1st 06 12:45 PM
2001 T&C bad rack? ng_reader Chrysler 18 October 9th 05 11:30 AM
vw power steering fluid required? Roger Levy VW water cooled 7 August 10th 05 02:39 AM
power steering that works sometimes? DIY'er Ford Explorer 1 February 6th 05 02:33 AM
F250 power steering wimping at low speed, low rpm. Replace, rebuild, ingore? Gonzo Technology 9 January 3rd 05 04:43 AM