Toyota Celica(1979) 20R Advancer Port Clogged?

Old September 17th 05, 06:18 PM
tom418

Default Toyota Celica(1979) 20R Advancer Port Clogged?

The vacuum hose leading from the Advancer port to the TVTV valve for the
spark control (emissions)system was deteriorated. The end of the hose was
brittle. I pulled it off the advancer port pipe at the base of the
carburetor, and the pipe looked clear. Replaced hose.

Now I can't get any vacuum from the port. I tried opening the throttle valve
(vacuum is supposed to vary according to throttle plate position), still
can't get suction, and can't blow air into the port either. Could parts of
the hose have collected in the port and clogged it? If clogged: any way of
clearing it (short of pulling the carb)? Thanks.

Old September 18th 05, 06:37 AM
Comboverfish

tom418 wrote:
> The vacuum hose leading from the Advancer port to the TVTV valve for the
> spark control (emissions)system was deteriorated. The end of the hose was
> brittle. I pulled it off the advancer port pipe at the base of the
> carburetor, and the pipe looked clear. Replaced hose.
>
> Now I can't get any vacuum from the port. I tried opening the throttle valve
> (vacuum is supposed to vary according to throttle plate position), still
> can't get suction, and can't blow air into the port either. Could parts of
> the hose have collected in the port and clogged it? If clogged: any way of
> clearing it (short of pulling the carb)? Thanks.

Remove the aircleaner. Jack open the throttle plate and get ready to
peer down there with a flashlight. Get a can of carb clean with the
red plastic nozzle attached and fit it into the offending ported vacuum
pipe at the carb base. Spray carb clean and look for it to enter the
inside of the carb just under the area where the throttle blade sits
when closed. If fluid makes it through, the port should be fine. If
not, try pushing a 1/16" drill bit through by hand carefully to
dislodge any obstruction.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old September 18th 05, 12:35 PM
tom418

Thanks! I'll try that- sure beats pulling the carb!
oups.com...