Grand Prix Legends steering bug / issue?

Old October 19th 06, 08:03 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jeff Reid

Default Grand Prix Legends steering bug / issue?

I recently started playing GPL again, on a newer system. What I'm noticing is
that the virtual steering wheel in GPL doesn't exactly match my controller inputs.
For example, while on the main straight at Kyalami, I hold the controller wheel
still, but the virtual in car steering wheel will move around a bit.

I switched from using a twin joystick setup to using a Logitech momo racing wheel
and pedals. The joystick I used for steering was getting noisy around the center,
and a new one had the same problem. One wierd thing I saw was the virtual steering
wheel would turn all the way left with the stick just a bit off center to the left
but noisy. I don't know if it's the stick, the software for the stick or a problem
with GPL, but since I don't see this problem with the momo, I'm guessing it's the
stick.

Getting back to using the momo racing wheel, I haven't figured out the right values
for core.ini with force feedback enabled, but the wheel moving on it's own also
happens when I have force feedback disabled in core.ini.

My new system is a Core Duo Extreme (2.93ghz), and setting the BIOS to run single
or dual core doesn't make any difference.

Old October 26th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Bob Simpson

On Oct 19, 3:03 am, "Jeff Reid" > wrote:
> I recently started playing GPL again, on a newer system. What I'm noticing is
> that the virtual steering wheel in GPL doesn't exactly match my controller inputs.
> For example, while on the main straight at Kyalami, I hold the controller wheel
> still, but the virtual in car steering wheel will move around a bit.

I believe that movement is programmed in graphically but doesn't have
anything to do with the input from your wheel. It's probably just
indicate some "nervousness" in the wheel rather than it being just
static.

For FF settings, I use a pretty small latency - about 0.001, about 20
or 30 for the damping which is said to bring up the forces felt hitting
obstacles like curbs and walls at higher levels, and about 250 for
torque. My wheel is an Act-Labs Force RS.

Putting the torque lower gives higher forces BTW. In control panel >
game controllers, I put everything to 0% except for Overall force. Try
starting with lower forces (higher torque number) and change slowly to
increase it. I fine tune with the Overall force in game controllers.

Help with 1959 horn and removing steering column Matt Lehrian VW air cooled 9 May 21st 06 03:39 PM
steering rack loose on Plymouth Reliant '88 model orig. 60,000 miles on odometer [email protected] Dodge 1 April 25th 06 04:51 AM
Steering Issue koolmist Dodge 1 February 15th 05 08:45 AM
Noisey VUE Scout Saturn 5 January 16th 05 12:59 AM
Odd steering behavior - Any ideas/assistance? Don Bruder General 0 January 11th 04 08:54 PM