1992 Wrangler won't start in Morning

Old December 9th 05, 09:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default 1992 Wrangler won't start in Morning

THanks everyone for the suggestions. I changed the rotor and distributor cap, but the same thing takes place. I need to get a booster cable to double check on the ground strap. I know Mike said that shouldn't be the problem since the car is cranking.

I cleaned the connections on the battery as well as the starter connections.

Can the camshaft position sensor be removed without having to remove the distributor?
or am I just asking for trouble there?

Could it be that the new battery that I put in bad? What is the easiest test to see if the new battery is retaining the charge?

Again, I would like to thank everyone for the valuable contributions and the time you had taken in helping me.

Nadim

--
nelkhour

View this thread: http://www.carstalk.net/viewtopic-360641.html

Send from http://www.carstalk.net

Old December 9th 05, 12:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

nelkhour did pass the time by typing:
> THanks everyone for the suggestions. I changed the rotor and distributor cap,
> but the same thing takes place. I need to get a booster cable to double check
> on the ground strap. I know Mike said that shouldn't be the problem since the
> car is cranking.
>
> I cleaned the connections on the battery as well as the starter connections.
>
> Can the camshaft position sensor be removed without having to remove the
> distributor?

On the 93 ZJ that answer is no. But it's not that hard to do if you take your
time.

I haven't done a proper writeup but here is the basics
http://www.revbeergoggles.com/camshaftps/
with pictures.

--
DougW

Old December 9th 05, 12:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"nelkhour" > wrote in message
:
: THanks everyone for the suggestions. I changed the rotor and distributor
cap, but the same thing takes place. I need to get a booster cable to double
check on the ground strap. I know Mike said that shouldn't be the problem
since the car is cranking.
:
: I cleaned the connections on the battery as well as the starter
connections.

**Did you clean the conections to the ground wire(s) ??
Did you check the coil and it's connections?

: Can the camshaft position sensor be removed without having to remove the
distributor?
: or am I just asking for trouble there?

***Unless there is some reason you think this is the problem, it makes no
sense to tear things up to get to it.
Unless you know what you are doing, if you yank a distributor, you will
REALLY screw things up.

If you are not getting spark, keep following that path until you get spark.
THEN if it doesn't work, go on to another theory. It's ill advised to just
bounce from point A to point D without following the path through C to get
there because point C is more likely than not the problem.

: Could it be that the new battery that I put in bad? What is the easiest
test to see if the new battery is retaining the charge?

***There is, take it back to the place where you bought it and have them
test it BYT if it's cranking the engine, then you have power.

:
: Again, I would like to thank everyone for the valuable contributions and
the time you had taken in helping me.
:
: Nadim
:
:
: --
: nelkhour
:
: ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old December 9th 05, 02:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

No, I didn't say that at all. You are taking another comment out of
sync.

The ground from the battery to the engine must be good because the
starter is turning.

If the ground to the body is bad, you will get no spark. This ground is
a wire mesh cable that runs from the back of the engine head to the
firewall or maybe from the battery negative to the fender or firewall.
This is the one you need to bypass with the booster cable.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Aug./05 http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2120343242