de-stinking a car interior

Old March 21st 09, 05:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default de-stinking a car interior

Years and years ago, I worked at a Bordens icecream plant.Couldn't help
but get some of that icecream on my clothes.At the end of my shift, that
stinking icecream smelled like crap on my clothes.One time, Mythbusters
put a dead pig in and old car.After they removed the dead pig, they
never could get all of that dead pig smell out of that car.
cuhulin

Old March 21st 09, 02:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Smarty

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "aemeijers" > wrote in message
>> I'm sure this has come up on here before, but I can't remember what the
>> best recommended product was. I think something died in my van, and I
>> need to de-stink it. I pulled the removable seats loose and did an
>> eyeball inspection, but found no little corpses. Not yet desperate enough
>> to pull the carpets and interior panels. Used up my remaining
>> quarter-bottle of Febreeze, too soon to tell if it helped. As usual with
>> these things, smell is worst after van has been sitting closed for
>> several hours. Smell arrived with the warm spell a couple days ago.
>>
>> Will it dry up faster if I leave it parked in sunshine with windows up,
>> or windows down? And what is best product to saturate the suspect part of
>> carpets and end of floor heater ducts with? (No stink apparent from the
>> dash ducts, or seating surfaces, or underside of the seats I flipped
>> over)

> You didn't happen to have a leaking baby bottle in it, did you? That can
> be ghastly.

I had a mouse climb into my 6 month old Corvette during winter storage and
die, leaving an incredible odor in the Spring when I came to take the car
out of storage.

I ultimately found only 1 way to get rid of the odor based on an excellent
recommendation here on this newsgroup. The solution was to find an enzymatic
odor eliminator used for carpet cleaning, made by a company I believe was
called "Rug Doctor". It is an odorless, clear liquid sold alongside rug
shampoo machines to remove pet odors, etc. It is sold in small
reddish-orange bottles, as are the other carpet chemicals from the same
company (stain remover, shampoo).

It took 3 applications, but the odor is now entirely gone. My earlier
attempts with Fabreeze and other fragrances made the problem much worse and
should never have been used.

Smarty

Old March 21st 09, 02:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
aemeijers

Smarty wrote:
> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "aemeijers" > wrote in message
>>> I'm sure this has come up on here before, but I can't remember what
>>> the best recommended product was. I think something died in my van,
>>> and I need to de-stink it. I pulled the removable seats loose and
>>> did an eyeball inspection, but found no little corpses. Not yet
>>> desperate enough to pull the carpets and interior panels. Used up my
>>> remaining quarter-bottle of Febreeze, too soon to tell if it helped.
>>> As usual with these things, smell is worst after van has been sitting
>>> closed for several hours. Smell arrived with the warm spell a couple
>>> days ago.
>>>
>>> Will it dry up faster if I leave it parked in sunshine with windows
>>> up, or windows down? And what is best product to saturate the suspect
>>> part of carpets and end of floor heater ducts with? (No stink
>>> apparent from the dash ducts, or seating surfaces, or underside of
>>> the seats I flipped over)

>> You didn't happen to have a leaking baby bottle in it, did you? That
>> can be ghastly.

> I had a mouse climb into my 6 month old Corvette during winter storage
> and die, leaving an incredible odor in the Spring when I came to take
> the car out of storage.
>
> I ultimately found only 1 way to get rid of the odor based on an
> excellent recommendation here on this newsgroup. The solution was to
> find an enzymatic odor eliminator used for carpet cleaning, made by a
> company I believe was called "Rug Doctor". It is an odorless, clear
> liquid sold alongside rug shampoo machines to remove pet odors, etc. It
> is sold in small reddish-orange bottles, as are the other carpet
> chemicals from the same company (stain remover, shampoo).
>
> It took 3 applications, but the odor is now entirely gone. My earlier
> attempts with Fabreeze and other fragrances made the problem much worse
> and should never have been used.

I'll look for it, but I will note that the Febreeze I used was the
unscented kind. It isn't just perfume. The stuff in it supposedly hooks
on to the stinky compounds, and chemically changes them to non-stinky.
Leastways, according to their web site. And it has helped a lot already.

--
aem sends...
Old March 21st 09, 03:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 14:31:07 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
> wrote:

>The coil cleaner I use on AC coils does a nice job on
>smokers film. Cleaning window unit coils and such, it really
>takes the brown film off.

I bought a '65 Rambler Classic back in 1972 - the chrome on the dash
looked like brass and the headliner was brown. It also had tinted
windows. (It was cheap - bought it for $100). A gallon of "FANTASTIC"
later the headliner was white, the chrome was silver, the seats and
carpets didn't stink any more, and even the windows were clean. Gotta
be REAL carefull with Fantastic on glass though!!!!!

I remeber laying the fiber headliner out on the driveway, soaking it
with Fantastic, and hosing it down with the garden hose about 4 times,
with coffee-coloured water flowing down the driveway.
Old March 21st 09, 03:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:31:06 -0700 (PDT), Joe > wrote:

>On Mar 19, 10:25Â*pm, aemeijers > wrote:
>> I'm sure this has come up on here before, but I can't remember what the
>> best recommended product was. I think something died in my van, and I
>> need to de-stink it. I pulled the Â*removable seats loose and did an
>> eyeball inspection, but found no little corpses. Not yet desperate
>> enough to pull the carpets and interior panels. Used up my remaining
>> quarter-bottle of Febreeze, too soon to tell if it helped. As usual with
>> these things, smell is worst after van has been sitting closed for
>> several hours. Smell arrived with the warm spell a couple days ago.
>>
>> Will it dry up faster if I leave it parked in sunshine with windows up,
>> or windows down? And what is best product to saturate the suspect part
>> of carpets and end of floor heater ducts with? (No stink apparent from
>> the dash ducts, or seating surfaces, or underside of the seats I flipped
>> over)
>>
>> Does simple mold ever smell like decomp?
>>
>> If I leave it parked outside for a month and drive the spare car, will
>> the problem eventually solve itself?
>>
>> --
>> aem sends...

>You likely have a dead mouse in the heating ductwork or blower. Used
>to be a common problem in our shop when the sports car owners brought
>their toys out of storage in the spring. Datsun 240/260Z's were the
>worst, Triumph's right behind. Keep looking and good luck.
>
>Joe

Little buggers used to love to die inside the seat upholstery too.
Never forget my 28 Chevy - had a nest of dead RATS behind the seat
when I got it.
Old March 21st 09, 06:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Rodan

"Smarty" wrote:

A mouse climbed into my car and died, leaving an incredible odor.
On a tip from this newsgroup, I applied an enzymatic odor eliminator
used for carpet cleaning. It is an odorless, clear liquid sold alongside
rug shampoo machines to remove pet odors, etc.

It took 3 applications, but the odor is entirely gone. Earlier attempts
with Febreze and other fragrances made the problem much worse and
should never have been used.
__________________________________________________ _________________________

Yes. Cover-up fragrances don't help. A pal of mine threw up in his
car after a night of drinking. He blasted the interior with a garden
hose, then poured a lot of his mom's cheap perfume over the affected
area. From then on, his car smelled like cheap perfume and puke.

Rodan.
Old March 21st 09, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 18:11:15 GMT, "Rodan" > wrote:

>"Smarty" wrote:
>
>A mouse climbed into my car and died, leaving an incredible odor.
>On a tip from this newsgroup, I applied an enzymatic odor eliminator
>used for carpet cleaning. It is an odorless, clear liquid sold alongside
>rug shampoo machines to remove pet odors, etc.
>
>It took 3 applications, but the odor is entirely gone. Earlier attempts
>with Febreze and other fragrances made the problem much worse and
>should never have been used.
>_________________________________________________ __________________________
>
>Yes. Cover-up fragrances don't help. A pal of mine threw up in his
>car after a night of drinking. He blasted the interior with a garden
>hose, then poured a lot of his mom's cheap perfume over the affected
>area. From then on, his car smelled like cheap perfume and puke.

LOL. The worst of all worlds!

--Vic

Old March 22nd 09, 12:41 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
The Daring Dufas

Smarty wrote:
> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "aemeijers" > wrote in message
>>> I'm sure this has come up on here before, but I can't remember what
>>> the best recommended product was. I think something died in my van,
>>> and I need to de-stink it. I pulled the removable seats loose and
>>> did an eyeball inspection, but found no little corpses. Not yet
>>> desperate enough to pull the carpets and interior panels. Used up my
>>> remaining quarter-bottle of Febreeze, too soon to tell if it helped.
>>> As usual with these things, smell is worst after van has been sitting
>>> closed for several hours. Smell arrived with the warm spell a couple
>>> days ago.
>>>
>>> Will it dry up faster if I leave it parked in sunshine with windows
>>> up, or windows down? And what is best product to saturate the suspect
>>> part of carpets and end of floor heater ducts with? (No stink
>>> apparent from the dash ducts, or seating surfaces, or underside of
>>> the seats I flipped over)

>> You didn't happen to have a leaking baby bottle in it, did you? That
>> can be ghastly.

> I had a mouse climb into my 6 month old Corvette during winter storage
> and die, leaving an incredible odor in the Spring when I came to take
> the car out of storage.
>
> I ultimately found only 1 way to get rid of the odor based on an
> excellent recommendation here on this newsgroup. The solution was to
> find an enzymatic odor eliminator used for carpet cleaning, made by a
> company I believe was called "Rug Doctor". It is an odorless, clear
> liquid sold alongside rug shampoo machines to remove pet odors, etc. It
> is sold in small reddish-orange bottles, as are the other carpet
> chemicals from the same company (stain remover, shampoo).
>
> It took 3 applications, but the odor is now entirely gone. My earlier
> attempts with Fabreeze and other fragrances made the problem much worse
> and should never have been used.
>
> Smarty

Did you ever see the Myth Busters show where they
bought a Corvette and put a dead pig in it and let
it rot? It was awful.

TDD
Old March 22nd 09, 12:43 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

The Daring Dufas wrote:
> Smarty wrote:

>>> You didn't happen to have a leaking baby bottle in it, did you? That
>>> can be ghastly.

>> I had a mouse climb into my 6 month old Corvette during winter storage
>> and die, leaving an incredible odor in the Spring when I came to take
>> the car out of storage.
>>
>> I ultimately found only 1 way to get rid of the odor based on an
>> excellent recommendation here on this newsgroup. The solution was to
>> find an enzymatic odor eliminator used for carpet cleaning, made by a
>> company I believe was called "Rug Doctor". It is an odorless, clear
>> liquid sold alongside rug shampoo machines to remove pet odors, etc.
>> It is sold in small reddish-orange bottles, as are the other carpet
>> chemicals from the same company (stain remover, shampoo).
>>
>> It took 3 applications, but the odor is now entirely gone. My earlier
>> attempts with Fabreeze and other fragrances made the problem much
>> worse and should never have been used.
>>
>> Smarty

> Did you ever see the Myth Busters show where they
> bought a Corvette and put a dead pig in it and let
> it rot? It was awful.
>
> TDD

That's just evil, probably the juices soaked into the fiberglass. that
stuff doesn't just wipe clean like steel.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old March 25th 09, 12:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Tekkie®

aemeijers posted for all of us...

> I'm sure this has come up on here before, but I can't remember what the
> best recommended product was. I think something died in my van, and I

Did you have the AC on? It could be mold/fungus in it.

--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.