92 GTI heater core replacement

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 27th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Tobin Fricke

Default 92 GTI heater core replacement

I am working on replacing the heater core of my '92 GTI (automatic, 8v).
Some questions:

- Where are the top instrument panel nuts? They're labeled "A" on the
diagram 70-A039 in the Bentley book (page 13-8), which explains that they
are located in the air plenum in the engine compartment. I've removed the
"drip tray" in the engine compartment but don't see any promising bolts,
unless perhaps something is hiding behind the windshield-wiper motor.

- How can I remove the drive selector/gear shift? It would be convenient
to remove the handle from the gear selector so that I could take the
center console out totally to make a little more room to maneuver. This
is an automatic, so as far as I can tell the handle doesn't just screw
off.

- Am I going to be able to do this without interfering with the air
conditioning?

thanks,
Tobin