Green vs Orange Anti-Freeze

Old July 14th 09, 12:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brad[_8_]

Default Green vs Orange Anti-Freeze

Hi,

I bought a second hand vehicle that has an orange colored anti-freeze.
I have a container(s) of the green colored type. Does it hurt if I added
the green colored type (when needed)?

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

Old July 14th 09, 12:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"Brad" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I bought a second hand vehicle that has an orange colored anti-freeze.
> I have a container(s) of the green colored type. Does it hurt if I added
> the green colored type (when needed)?
>
> Thanks in advance, Brad

Some antifreeze compositions are advertised to be compatible with all
other common types, but we dont really know what you have in the car
and what you have in the green jug. It is a lot safer to flush out the old
stuff and replace it with whatever you want to use.

I would not mix the two types without knowing more about their
compatibility.

Having said that, I ran some tests about a year ago mixing DexCool and
a typical "green" antifreeze dilution. When I went to buy the "green"
material,
every formulation on the shelf at Autozone claimed to be compatible with
other
types. I made the blends anyway, and watched them for a while at ambient
temperature, and nothing untoward happened. But realize that I did not
evaluate these for corrosion protection nor compatibility after cycling
through
temperature excursions.

Old July 14th 09, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I always use only Prestone Anti-Freeze.
cuhulin

Old July 14th 09, 03:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Brad > wrote:

> I bought a second hand vehicle that has an orange colored anti-freeze.
>I have a container(s) of the green colored type. Does it hurt if I added
>the green colored type (when needed)?

Without knowing what model car and what orange variant it uses, the answer
is only: almost certainly.
--scott

Old July 16th 09, 06:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
larry moe 'n curly

Brad wrote:

> I bought a second hand vehicle that has an orange colored anti-freeze..
> I have a container(s) of the green colored type. Does it hurt if I added
> the green colored type (when needed)?

Here's what GM says about mixing their orange/red Dex-cool with
regular green antifreeze:

http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pd..._04D-J-054.pdf

"Mixing conventional green coolant with DEX-COOLŽ will
degrade the service interval from 5yrs./150,000 miles to
2yrs./30,000 miles (50,000 km) if left in the contaminated
condition. If contamination occurs, the cooling system
must be flushed twice immediately and re-filled with a
50/50 mixture of DEX-COOLŽ and clean water in order to
preserve the enhanced properties and extended service
interval of DEX-COOLŽ"

I've been using nothing but Dex-cool in my 1993 Ford and 1986 Toyota.

..

Old July 16th 09, 07:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Rodan

Brad wrote:

I bought a second hand vehicle that has an orange colored
anti-freeze. I have a container of the green colored type.
Does it hurt if I add the green colored type (when needed)?

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote:

Here's what GM says about mixing their orange/red Dex-cool with
regular green antifreeze:

http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pd..._04D-J-054.pdf

"Mixing conventional green coolant with DEX-COOLŽ will
degrade the service interval from 5yrs./150,000 miles to
2yrs./30,000 miles (50,000 km) if left in the contaminated
condition. If contamination occurs, the cooling system
must be flushed twice immediately and re-filled with a
50/50 mixture of DEX-COOLŽ and clean water in order to
preserve the enhanced properties and extended service
interval of DEX-COOLŽ"

I've been using nothing but Dex-cool in my 1993 Ford and 1986 Toyota.

Apparently it doesn't hurt at all, except for the extra cost of
changing coolant every two years instead of every five years.

If you don't "flush twice immediately and refill ..... etc." you
will still have coolant protection but you will face that extra
cost two years from now.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Old July 17th 09, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

"Rodan" > wrote in news:rgK7m.1506$N5.644
@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

_

> "larry moe 'n curly" wrote:
>
> Here's what GM says about mixing their orange/red Dex-cool with
> regular green antifreeze:
>
> http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pd..._04D-J-054.pdf
>
> "Mixing conventional green coolant with DEX-COOLŽ will
> degrade the service interval from 5yrs./150,000 miles to
> 2yrs./30,000 miles (50,000 km) if left in the contaminated
> condition. If contamination occurs, the cooling system
> must be flushed twice immediately and re-filled with a
> 50/50 mixture of DEX-COOLŽ and clean water in order to
> preserve the enhanced properties and extended service
> interval of DEX-COOLŽ"
>
> I've been using nothing but Dex-cool in my 1993 Ford and 1986 Toyota.
> __________________________________________________ _________________
>
> Apparently it doesn't hurt at all, except for the extra cost of
> changing coolant every two years instead of every five years.
>
> If you don't "flush twice immediately and refill ..... etc." you
> will still have coolant protection but you will face that extra
> cost two years from now.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Rodan.

I have been hearing bad things about mixing them and leaving it
causing some clumping and other nasty stuff. I sure as heck wouldn`t do
it. KB

--
THUNDERSNAKE #9

Protect your rights or "Lose" them
The 2nd Admendment guarantees the others
Old July 17th 09, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
twisted

On Jul 16, 9:30*pm, Kevin > wrote:

> * I have been hearing bad things about mixing them and leaving it
> causing some clumping and other nasty stuff. I sure as heck wouldn`t do
> it. * KB

Mixing the two together is definitely a no no. Only use the green that
is made to use with all types.
Old July 17th 09, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
twisted

On Jul 16, 2:25*pm, "Rodan" > wrote:

> I've been using nothing but Dex-cool in my 1993 Ford and 1986 Toyota.
> __________________________________________________ _________________
>
> Apparently it doesn't hurt at all, except for the extra cost of
> changing coolant every two years instead of every five years.
>
> If you don't "flush twice immediately and refill ..... etc." you
> will still have coolant protection but you will face that extra
> cost two years from now.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Rodan.

The Dex-Cool "does' hurt. From mid 90's to around 05/6, the Dex-Cool
caused many engine problems, from clogging to causing leaks. There
were bulletins put out by GM. Class action suits, and I've worked on
many with the problems.

anti freeze kay35 BMW 2 January 31st 07 10:12 AM
Green 3 year anti-freeze only? 2000 GT [email protected] Ford Mustang 14 September 1st 06 01:41 AM
What Anti-Freeze? Joe Saturn 6 October 28th 05 01:23 PM
losing anti-freeze JHI Dodge 3 May 1st 05 12:42 AM
Anti-Freeze Update #2 Jamel L. Raines BMW 2 April 22nd 05 07:29 PM