locked out

Old September 16th 05, 08:32 PM
88BIMMER

Default locked out

i have an 88 750il the battery died and i cant get into the car the battery
is under back seat but the key wont open the door is there any other way 2
get in or charge battery? please help!

Old September 16th 05, 08:48 PM
JB

"88BIMMER" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
>i have an 88 750il the battery died and i cant get into the car the battery
> is under back seat but the key wont open the door is there any other way 2
> get in or charge battery? please help!

If you can get into the boot (trunk), remove the lamp from the courtesy
light inside and connect a low current battery charger (<2A) to the wires.
Make sure you get the polarity correct. Leave the boot lid open. You should
get enough charge into the battery overnight to be able to operate the
central locking.

JB

Old September 17th 05, 12:05 AM
Jeff Strickland

The key won't open the door? Which door?

The driver door and the passenger door are locked mechanically, and are
operated by the key when the battery fails. Even if the battery works, the
door that has the key in it will open because of the key.

Now, it's possible that the Ignition Lock Set was changed, and the key
doesn't match the door anymore. If this is the case, you're hosed.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old September 17th 05, 03:58 AM
Sharkman540i

I have heard of this many times.... do the trunk light trick and you'll be
fine.
I don't know what year they started this.
lkaboutautos.com...

Old September 17th 05, 01:13 PM
Malt_Hound

JB wrote:
> "88BIMMER" > wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
>
>>i have an 88 750il the battery died and i cant get into the car the battery
>>is under back seat but the key wont open the door is there any other way 2
>>get in or charge battery? please help!

> If you can get into the boot (trunk), remove the lamp from the courtesy
> light inside and connect a low current battery charger (<2A) to the wires.
> Make sure you get the polarity correct. Leave the boot lid open. You should
> get enough charge into the battery overnight to be able to operate the
> central locking.
>
> JB

Actually, as soon as the trickle charger is hooked up there may be
enough power to the door locks to open the doors, assuming the battery
isn't completely flat

--
-Fred W
Toys for sale, Hey get your toys he
Old September 18th 05, 03:33 AM
Somebody.

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
> The key won't open the door? Which door?
>
> The driver door and the passenger door are locked mechanically, and are
> operated by the key when the battery fails. Even if the battery works, the
> door that has the key in it will open because of the key.
>
> Now, it's possible that the Ignition Lock Set was changed, and the key
> doesn't match the door anymore. If this is the case, you're hosed.
>

> "88BIMMER" > wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
> >i have an 88 750il the battery died and i cant get into the car the

battery
> > is under back seat but the key wont open the door is there any other way

2
> > get in or charge battery? please help!

There's a part in the door that breaks, so that you can't open with the key
any more, mechanically. Even if you do the lift-handle trick. But try that
on both sides first.

Failing that, open the trunk with the key, and jumper a battery in through
the trunk light leads. That should get you enough power to actuate the
power locks with the key from the doors.

-Russ.

honda (88) accord (dx) locked in park bottledoctor Honda 3 August 26th 05 09:12 PM
Safari Van Shifter Locked Up dclydec Technology 0 May 25th 05 03:14 AM
01 TJ wheels locked up at 65 MPH fray Jeep 9 March 31st 05 11:04 PM
Ignition is locked momcat21 Saturn 13 March 2nd 05 06:15 PM
Locked wheels [email protected] Mazda 2 January 29th 05 05:09 PM