1987 Golf GTI stock radio is locked out

Old March 5th 06, 11:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default 1987 Golf GTI stock radio is locked out

I just purchased a 16 valve1987 GTI with 123,000 orginial miles on it
for $450.00 from the original owner. It appears that the stock
stereo/radio has gone into an "anti-theft" mode and displays the word
"SAFE" in the LCD display. Also, you are unable to change to another
station with any button. I was going to contact the dealer Monday but
I thought I would check here first. Right now, I am having a local VW
shop run through it and change the timing belt, water pump, axle
seals, one axel, and perform a general tune up.

Oh, the main radio plastic button appears to be cracked or something.
It won't stay on the shaft and it appears that someone did a pretty
bad job of trying to glue it into place with what appears to be pink
body filler.

TIA

Dave
Old March 5th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

David Craig > wrote:
> I just purchased a 16 valve1987 GTI with 123,000 orginial miles on it
> for $450.00 from the original owner. It appears that the stock
> stereo/radio has gone into an "anti-theft" mode and displays the word
> "SAFE" in the LCD display.

Check the manual. There should be a 4 digit code somewhere, and the
procedure on how to enter it.

Old March 5th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

The code to reset the radio will have been with the original car
documents. Reset commands are explained in the manual. If not, you may
have to go to a VW dealer for the reset.

My radio power switch also cracked. You can probably find one at a junk
yard or VW dealer. It can't cost too much, right. Well, it is a VW
part.....

Old March 6th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On 5 Mar 2006 12:44:12 -0800, "jpmccormac" > wrote:

>The code to reset the radio will have been with the original car
>documents. Reset commands are explained in the manual. If not, you may
>have to go to a VW dealer for the reset.
>
>My radio power switch also cracked. You can probably find one at a junk
>yard or VW dealer. It can't cost too much, right. Well, it is a VW
>part.....

Well Said JP!!

Although, I must say, I once owned a Porsche 914 (the Volkswagen
Porshe) and talk about pricey!!!! I can't complain now that I have a
plain Volkswagen.

Dave