starts fine, except mid-day

Old April 6th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default starts fine, except mid-day

have a 1993 isuzu V6 3.2 liter engine, car starts normally, after one or two
turns in the morning

in the late afternoon, it often takes three or more attempts and even then,
the initial revolutions are barely audible until the revs stabilize after 30
sec or so

have always filled at the same station, use regularly a small amount of fuel
additive to keep injectors in shape (since car was new, so for 13 years)

plugged up filter? broken fuel pump? anything else to look for?

Old April 7th 06, 06:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Hard to discern from your second description.

You may be looking at something compression-wise, whether it be a gasket or
not.
How many miles on this beast? The vehicle is 13 years old, so its got some
age on the particulars, ya know?

my .02 on an insomnia night.

Old April 7th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

ed wrote:
> Hard to discern from your second description.

what I meant is that for the first 30 seconds (mid-day, not morning), the revs are
extremely low 300-500 as opposed to the morning start when revs are normally at 1000
or higher until engine is warm and revs drop to about 850

> You may be looking at something compression-wise, whether it be a gasket or
> not.

can you elaborate? which gasket? foul plug allowing pressure to leak?

> How many miles on this beast?

67 K, all original by me (ie. very low mileage for age)

Old April 8th 06, 05:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

I had the same problem once. After I was told several time that it
could not be the filter because you get fuel in the morning, i ripped
the damn thing out. To my amazement we found big flakes of crud in
there. What happened was that the fuel pressure would release after a
while of being stationary and all the flakes would fall down. Making
the start up easy but once you got going under pressure the flake would
shake back up into the path of the fuel. Keep in mind I was using a
resevoir filter. I don't forsee the same problem for inline filters.

Old April 8th 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

steve goodsworth wrote:
> the start up easy but once you got going under pressure the flake would
> shake back up into the path of the fuel. Keep in mind I was using a
> resevoir filter. I don't forsee the same problem for inline filters.

wait, just checking the details to be certain: are you saying you started up fine
(always) but after startup had problems keeping engine running?

if so, that's not precisely my problem as the car always runs fine once started
(morning, day, night), there is no problem once engine is running

it's only a problem starting *after* the initial morning start but I don't experience
run issues once it's turning over

AFAIK, the isuzu's use only inline filters and I probably should replace them just to
be sure