05 Brake Problems? Crashed mine yesterday.

Old November 21st 05, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default 05 Brake Problems? Crashed mine yesterday.

Hi,
Yesterday driving my new 05 convertible pretty low speed through
residential neighborhood a car in front of me stopped short, I stomped
on the brakes hard, expected screeching tires, but instead it felt like
either a gradual slowdown or maybe no slowdown and I rearended them. I
should mention that under normal circumstances the brakes work fine,
although I've never had a panic stop before. Has anyone experienced
this before? I really can't believe that when you stomp hard on the
brakes the car doesnt screen to a halt, but there were no skid marks. I
will never trust them again. Also despite significant damage no airbags
deployed, is there a threshold speed that triggers them?

Old November 21st 05, 04:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> Hi,
> Yesterday driving my new 05 convertible pretty low speed through
> residential neighborhood a car in front of me stopped short, I stomped
> on the brakes hard, expected screeching tires, but instead it felt like
> either a gradual slowdown or maybe no slowdown and I rearended them. I
> should mention that under normal circumstances the brakes work fine,
> although I've never had a panic stop before. Has anyone experienced
> this before? I really can't believe that when you stomp hard on the
> brakes the car doesnt screen to a halt, but there were no skid marks. I
> will never trust them again. Also despite significant damage no airbags
> deployed, is there a threshold speed that triggers them?

ABS maybe?

Howard

Old November 21st 05, 05:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Howard Nelson" > wrote:

> > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>> Hi,
>> Yesterday driving my new 05 convertible pretty low speed through
>> residential neighborhood a car in front of me stopped short, I stomped
>> on the brakes hard, expected screeching tires, but instead it felt

like
>> either a gradual slowdown or maybe no slowdown and I rearended them. I
>> should mention that under normal circumstances the brakes work fine,
>> although I've never had a panic stop before. Has anyone experienced
>> this before? I really can't believe that when you stomp hard on the
>> brakes the car doesnt screen to a halt, but there were no skid marks.

>> will never trust them again. Also despite significant damage no

airbags
>> deployed, is there a threshold speed that triggers them?
>>

> ABS maybe?
>
> Howard

How can anyone buy a car and NOT test to see how it 'panic stops'?!!!

Different generation, I guess....

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old November 21st 05, 05:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

How are the ABS brakes supposed to work in this situation?

Old November 22nd 05, 04:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

I've driven cars with such powerful brakes that it would put you (and
the front passenger) through the WINDSHIELD if you really stood on
them. Then I've driven other cars that work as you describe; you stand
on the brakes and it just sort of lazily slows down and stops. There's
no excuse for an 05 car, especially a "performance" car like a Mustang,
to have sucky brakes.

Old November 22nd 05, 06:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

When I bought my first anti-lock brake car, one of the first things I did
was do a panic stop. Since the brake system acts differently, I was told it
was a good idea to know how the car reacts and get used to it in this
situation. During a panic stop, the petal pulses and there was a pump noise,
all perfectly normal. A friend who works as an accident investigator told me
a number of people have had crashes because they let off on the brakes when
they felt this for the first time. Most of them didn't ever remember doing
it. Also some people still pump the brake petal which severely restricts the
anti-lock feature. Another thing to remember is when the anti-lock is
activated, you still have steering control.
Good Luck
Bill

ps.com...

Old November 23rd 05, 12:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

wrote:

> Hi,
> Yesterday driving my new 05 convertible pretty low speed through
> residential neighborhood a car in front of me stopped short, I stomped
> on the brakes hard, expected screeching tires, but instead it felt like
> either a gradual slowdown or maybe no slowdown and I rearended them. I
> should mention that under normal circumstances the brakes work fine,
> although I've never had a panic stop before. Has anyone experienced
> this before?

Yup. The brakes on my Ranger 4x4 suck. They were great when
I first bought the truck, but one day, they just got weak.
They're so weak they won't even activate the anti lock on
a wet road. The dealer replaced the MC, booster, and the ABS
control unit, but the brakes still suck. Now they say it's
normal.

-

Ever wonder who benefits from the 150 MILLION
U.S. taxpayer dollars spent each DAY in Iraq?
http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?list=type&type=21

http://www.commondreams.org/
http://www.truthout.org/

"They are waging a campaign of murder and destruction. And
there is no limit to the innocent lives they are willing to
take... men with blind hatred and armed with lethal weapons
who are capable of any atrocity... they respect no laws of
warfare or morality."
-bu$h describing his own illegal invasion of Iraq.
http://www.robert-fisk.com/iraqwarvictims_mar2003.htm

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things
that matter." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

"God told me to strike at al Qaeda and I struck them. And then
he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did."
-- George W. Bush

"Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the
will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the
Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord."
-- Adolf Hitler

or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is
not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable
to the American public."
-- Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

Brake problems 24 may05 Roy Saturn 4 May 25th 05 04:31 PM
Emergency brake problems Audi 100 2,8 V6 Paw H. Jensen Audi 1 March 20th 05 09:56 AM
Brake problems on 1999 1.6 Civic Vti Coupe. Tech21 Honda 6 February 2nd 05 02:28 PM
Hydro Booster Brake Problems Kenneth Belaire Ford Mustang 0 December 23rd 04 12:03 AM