83 rabbit exhaust-help

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 10th 09, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
chris

Default 83 rabbit exhaust-help

Hi all,

I am hoping somebody can give me a bit of advice. Recently the pipe
in my exhaust system rusted clean through and was actually dragging
under my car. It needed some help so I took it to a local muffler
shop. They told me my entire exhaust system was shot and needed
replacement. My car is an 83 rabbit and was dragging a rusted pipe
around- so I had no doubts that it was. They told me they would
replace the whole thing from engine back for just over $300- I said go
for it (love my little car). Upon its return I noticed it was
rattling a bit (still is) and also seemed a bit louder than it should
be so I took a peek under neath to see the handy work. I thought
maybe a heat shield was rubbing on the pipe or something. Everything
looked fine but I could not help but notice there is now no catalytic
converter- just a straight pipe. I am rather upset about it and my
question is -should I be?? I am on the verge of calling them but am
not sure what I should say. Should I be expected to pay extra to have
them put a cat on? I do not want to drive around without one for
several obvious reasons. Basically I don't want to chew them out
unless they have it coming. Any advise or insight on how to handle
this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Chris