carb problem???

Old June 7th 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Scotty

Default carb problem???

ok, when i start it up i have to keep giving it gas, like reving it
up, and if i stop... it dies, i looked at it today after trying to
start it, and it was dripping gas from where the throttle cable
connects, any ideas?

Old June 7th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dweller

On Jun 6, 8:35 pm, Scotty > wrote:
> ok, when i start it up i have to keep giving it gas, like reving it
> up, and if i stop... it dies, i looked at it today after trying to
> start it, and it was dripping gas from where the throttle cable
> connects, any ideas?

Check the float? I haven't had a carb vehicle in a while, but seem to
recall that was a sticking point with the vw carb.

dp

Old June 7th 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Scotty

On Jun 6, 8:28 pm, dweller > wrote:
> On Jun 6, 8:35 pm, Scotty > wrote:
>
> > ok, when i start it up i have to keep giving it gas, like reving it
> > up, and if i stop... it dies, i looked at it today after trying to
> > start it, and it was dripping gas from where the throttle cable
> > connects, any ideas?

> Check the float? I haven't had a carb vehicle in a while, but seem to
> recall that was a sticking point with the vw carb.
>
> dp

what with the float do u need to check???

Old June 7th 07, 10:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
scream[_2_]

On Jun 7, 1:54 pm, Scotty > wrote:
> On Jun 6, 8:28 pm, dweller > wrote:
>
> > On Jun 6, 8:35 pm, Scotty > wrote:

> > > ok, when i start it up i have to keep giving it gas, like reving it
> > > up, and if i stop... it dies, i looked at it today after trying to
> > > start it, and it was dripping gas from where the throttle cable
> > > connects, any ideas?

> > Check the float? I haven't had a carb vehicle in a while, but seem to
> > recall that was a sticking point with the vw carb.

> > dp

> what with the float do u need to check???

Hey man. Check out Rob & Dave's site. Tons of stuff there.
http://www.vw-resource.com/carb.html
Andrew

Old June 7th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Spiliotopoulos

The idle circuit is blocked.
You have to dismantle and blow the carb passages and jets with compressed
air.
Also check that the electromagnetic cut-off valve clicks when you turn the
ignition switch on. You won't have idle if this doesn't work.
Have someone turn on-off the ignition switch, and listen for a click from
the carb. If it doesn't click, remove the solenoid and check it directly on
a battery. Replace it if it doesn't click, or fix the electrical
connections.

Gas is dripping from the butterfly shaft, because the bushings are worn.
When you press the gas to keep it running, raw gas is sprayed on the
butterfly from the accelerator pump, part of which ends to drip through the
worn throttle shaft bushings. If you take the carb of for cleaning, you have
to point the U shaped accelerator pump jet, so that it injects the fuel
stream to the side of the butterfly, through the butterfly opening, directly
down the carb's throat.
If the shaft bushings are very worn, it won't be possible to adjust the carb
to a steady idle (a variable vacuum leak is caused around the shaft), but
they must be very worn to render the carb unusable.

Bill Spiliotopoulos,
'67 Bug.

ups.com...

Old June 8th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Scotty

On Jun 7, 10:30 am, "Bill Spiliotopoulos" > wrote:
> The idle circuit is blocked.
> You have to dismantle and blow the carb passages and jets with compressed
> air.
> Also check that the electromagnetic cut-off valve clicks when you turn the
> ignition switch on. You won't have idle if this doesn't work.
> Have someone turn on-off the ignition switch, and listen for a click from
> the carb. If it doesn't click, remove the solenoid and check it directly on
> a battery. Replace it if it doesn't click, or fix the electrical
> connections.
>
> Gas is dripping from the butterfly shaft, because the bushings are worn.
> When you press the gas to keep it running, raw gas is sprayed on the
> butterfly from the accelerator pump, part of which ends to drip through the
> worn throttle shaft bushings. If you take the carb of for cleaning, you have
> to point the U shaped accelerator pump jet, so that it injects the fuel
> stream to the side of the butterfly, through the butterfly opening, directly
> down the carb's throat.
> If the shaft bushings are very worn, it won't be possible to adjust the carb
> to a steady idle (a variable vacuum leak is caused around the shaft), but
> they must be very worn to render the carb unusable.
>
> Bill Spiliotopoulos,
> '67 Bug.
>
> "Scotty" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > ok, when i start it up i have to keep giving it gas, like reving it
> > up, and if i stop... it dies, i looked at it today after trying to
> > start it, and it was dripping gas from where the throttle cable
> > connects, any ideas?

Would 50 bucks be too much to have a pro rebuild my carb??? i'm in
texas

Old June 8th 07, 11:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Spiliotopoulos

I don't know about mechanics or labor in Texas, I live in Greece.
But -IF- you can find a GOOD mechanic with EXPERIENCE on old VWs, it would
only take him 30 minutes to do a full cleaning, install a new gasket set and
adjust idle.
A good quality carb rebuild kit (gasket set) costs around $14. If the carb
was recently rebuilt, you won't need new gaskets (unless they are damaged
during disassembly).
$50 would be a fair price in Greece, but I would prefer to do it myself,
cheaper plus knowing I did the job correctly.

It is very easy to do it yourself. If you don't hate getting your hands
dirty, you should attempt it.
You will only need a new gasket set, and an air compressor. If you don't own
an air compressor you can take the parts, after you clean the crud off them,
to a gas station to blow the passages and jets. Adjusting the carb does not
require any special equipment.

And if you have any questions we can always help. Plus you will know how to
do it next time, in half hour.
Just ask.

Bill Spiliotopoulos,
67' bug.

ups.com...

Old June 8th 07, 01:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

I would quickly take off the idle jet and clean it out before cleaning the
entire carb.
After 5 minutes you will be back idling usually! <g>
If that does not work then take off the carb and clean well. Kit is usually
needed along with a good fuel filter. ;-)
--
later,
dave

Old June 8th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Scotty

On Jun 8, 7:19 am, "dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote:
> I would quickly take off the idle jet and clean it out before cleaning the
> entire carb.
> After 5 minutes you will be back idling usually! <g>
> If that does not work then take off the carb and clean well. Kit is usually
> needed along with a good fuel filter. ;-)
> --
> later,
> dave
> (One out of many daves)

ok, where is the jet idle at??? and i just rebuilt it myself and i'm
thinking i didn't do it right, i KNO i didn't use the air compresser

Old June 8th 07, 09:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Spiliotopoulos

The idle jet is the brass hex nut on the right side, near the alternator.
If there are 2 jets to the right, the idle jet is the one that look straight
to the right, and not te one that looks 45 degrees to the back.

What carburator do you have?

Did you check the solenoid?
Did you adjusted the idle speed from the screws to the left and adjusted the
throttle buterfly almost completely closed?

Bill Spiliotopoulos,
'67 Bug.

oups.com...