carb problem???

Old June 9th 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Scotty

Default carb problem???

On Jun 8, 3:52 pm, "Bill Spiliotopoulos" > wrote:
> The idle jet is the brass hex nut on the right side, near the alternator.
> If there are 2 jets to the right, the idle jet is the one that look straight
> to the right, and not te one that looks 45 degrees to the back.
>
> What carburator do you have?
>
> Did you check the solenoid?
> Did you adjusted the idle speed from the screws to the left and adjusted the
> throttle buterfly almost completely closed?
>
> Bill Spiliotopoulos,
> '67 Bug.
>
> ? "Scotty" > ?????? ??? oglegroups.com...
>
> > On Jun 8, 7:19 am, "dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote:
> >> I would quickly take off the idle jet and clean it out before cleaning
> >> the
> >> entire carb.
> >> After 5 minutes you will be back idling usually! <g>
> >> If that does not work then take off the carb and clean well. Kit is
> >> usually
> >> needed along with a good fuel filter. ;-)
> >> --
> >> later,
> >> dave
> >> (One out of many daves)

> > ok, where is the jet idle at??? and i just rebuilt it myself and i'm
> > thinking i didn't do it right, i KNO i didn't use the air compresser

i've got a 30 pic, i'm gonna work on it this week end, my brother
might be picking up a 72, so i might be posting questions for him soon

Old June 9th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Moro Grubb of Little Delving

"Scotty" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Jun 6, 8:28 pm, dweller > wrote:
>> On Jun 6, 8:35 pm, Scotty > wrote:
>>
>> > ok, when i start it up i have to keep giving it gas, like reving it
>> > up, and if i stop... it dies, i looked at it today after trying to
>> > start it, and it was dripping gas from where the throttle cable
>> > connects, any ideas?

>> Check the float? I haven't had a carb vehicle in a while, but seem to
>> recall that was a sticking point with the vw carb.
>>
>> dp

> what with the float do u need to check???

The flow into the float chamber is controlled by a needle valve activated by
the float. If a piece of sediment gets between the the needle valve and its
seat, it can't close, so the float chamber overflows...

Old June 9th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Spiliotopoulos

If the carb is of the older variety (only one small adjusting screw to the
left), the idle jet is incorporated to the electromagnetic cut-off solenoid
(right side of the carb).
Remove the solenoid and blow the jet on the end of it with compressed air.
Check that the solenoid clicks with a battery.

Bill Spiliotopoulos,
'67 Bug.

ps.com...