How do you pull the Big pulley out???

Old May 23rd 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Scotty

Default How do you pull the Big pulley out???

I've tried almost everything, and NOTHING works, is their a secret to
it???

Old May 23rd 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Scotty wrote:

> I've tried almost everything, and NOTHING works, is their a secret to
> it???

The crankshaft pulley?
There are 2 slots in the pulley to attach a
somewhat special puller. Anything else will
probably damage it.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Old May 24th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Tricky

Speedy Jim wrote:
> Scotty wrote:
>
>> I've tried almost everything, and NOTHING works, is their a secret to
>> it???
>>

> The crankshaft pulley?
> There are 2 slots in the pulley to attach a
> somewhat special puller. Anything else will
> probably damage it.
>
> Speedy Jim
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

I was taught by a VW engine builder to use two BIG flat screw drivers,
one each side, and tap with a hammer - if you use car, there is no
dammage

yes I did make a puller too once, that worked too - its in the Muir book

Rich
Old May 24th 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan

Scotty wrote:
> I've tried almost everything, and NOTHING works, is their a secret to
> it???

a pulley puller?

Heat?

Two large prybars?

All of the above have worked for me.

How to use the puller: Do not tighten it too much, apply just moderate
force to it, then tap the pulley with a hammer from various directions.
Not too hard either.
If you use too much force on the puller, it distorts the pulley and
makes it even more stuck.

Jan
Old May 24th 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Scotty

On May 23, 6:43 pm, Jan > wrote:
> Scotty wrote:
> > I've tried almost everything, and NOTHING works, is their a secret to
> > it???

> a pulley puller?
>
> Heat?
>
> Two large prybars?
>
> All of the above have worked for me.
>
> How to use the puller: Do not tighten it too much, apply just moderate
> force to it, then tap the pulley with a hammer from various directions.
> Not too hard either.
> If you use too much force on the puller, it distorts the pulley and
> makes it even more stuck.
>
> Jan

What i meant is how do you hold the plley in place to get the bolt
out???

Old May 24th 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan

Scotty wrote:
> On May 23, 6:43 pm, Jan > wrote:
>
>>Scotty wrote:
>>
>>>I've tried almost everything, and NOTHING works, is their a secret to
>>>it???

>>a pulley puller?
>>
>>Heat?
>>
>>Two large prybars?
>>
>>All of the above have worked for me.
>>
>>How to use the puller: Do not tighten it too much, apply just moderate
>>force to it, then tap the pulley with a hammer from various directions.
>>Not too hard either.
>>If you use too much force on the puller, it distorts the pulley and
>>makes it even more stuck.
>>
>>Jan

> What i meant is how do you hold the plley in place to get the bolt
> out???

Ahha!

You shove a large screwdriver through the pulley holes, when the holes
are pointing at 3 and 9 o'clock. The tip of the screwdriver will then
rest against a ledge on the case, behind the pulley. Then you turn the
big bolt while keeping the pulley from turning with the screwdriver.

OR, if this doesn't work, you can try popping the bolt off with an air
impact wrench. Try with the lower settings first.
Don't put the bolt BACK with an impact gun, use hand tools instead.

Jan
Old May 25th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Scotty

On May 23, 9:19 pm, Jan > wrote:
> Scotty wrote:

> >>a pulley puller?

> >>Heat?

> >>Two large prybars?

> >>All of the above have worked for me.

> >>How to use the puller: Do not tighten it too much, apply just moderate
> >>force to it, then tap the pulley with a hammer from various directions.
> >>Not too hard either.
> >>If you use too much force on the puller, it distorts the pulley and
> >>makes it even more stuck.

> >>Jan

> > What i meant is how do you hold the plley in place to get the bolt
> > out???

> Ahha!
>
> You shove a large screwdriver through the pulley holes, when the holes
> are pointing at 3 and 9 o'clock. The tip of the screwdriver will then
> rest against a ledge on the case, behind the pulley. Then you turn the
> big bolt while keeping the pulley from turning with the screwdriver.
>
> OR, if this doesn't work, you can try popping the bolt off with an air
> impact wrench. Try with the lower settings first.
> Don't put the bolt BACK with an impact gun, use hand tools instead.
>
> Jan

Thanks all for the help, i got that done today RIGHT before it started
raining, and i bend the old pulley at the screw driver place, it was
locked on there good

Old June 10th 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
greg mushial

On 23 May 2007 18:59:47 -0700, Scotty > wrote:

Impact wrench (no need to hold pulley then)! same tool to remove gen
pulley (nut).

greg

Old June 11th 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"greg mushial" > wrote in message
> On 23 May 2007 18:59:47 -0700, Scotty > wrote:
>
> Impact wrench (no need to hold pulley then)! same tool to remove gen
> pulley (nut).

that will work if you have the engine out....or a baja...

Old June 11th 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
greg mushial

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 19:17:04 -0400, "Joey Tribiani" >
wrote:

Works fine on a 67T1 - just go through the decklid latch hole, aka,
the "insert manual crank here" hole..

Put the socket on the crank bolt, then add 1/2" drive extensions until
one can attach the impact wrench outside the skirt - remember that
you're removing a bolt that isn't torqued that tight: only 40-50ftlbs;
(assuming the pulley isn't rusted on or other nastyness). Some at this
point use a pry of some type, but I've found that by pulling with my
left hand and tapping with a softface hammer / 2lb rubber mallet with
the right they come off pretty easily. (by pulling with the fingers I
can feel as the pulley starts to move - once one side has been moved a
fraction of a mm, then I move to the other side and start pulling
there and tap where I was previously pulling (and work back and forth
until it's off). The only gotcha I've found is if I pull too much/far
on one side and I get the pulley wedged - then one has to tap it back
on and start again (or at least that's the best route I've found).)
.... a 3 to 5 minute job if done gently/carefully.

greg

>"greg mushial" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On 23 May 2007 18:59:47 -0700, Scotty > wrote:
>>
>> Impact wrench (no need to hold pulley then)! same tool to remove gen
>> pulley (nut).

>that will work if you have the engine out....or a baja...

ac compressor pulley going bad [email protected] Technology 5 September 9th 06 03:55 AM
what is the different between 5 1/4" and 6" Pulley ? Shag VW air cooled 4 May 5th 05 10:37 PM
what is the different between 5 1/4" and 6" Pulley ? Lorem Ipsum VW air cooled 0 May 3rd 05 03:42 PM
Pulley clancy VW air cooled 0 February 9th 05 01:02 AM
Brazillian pulley Braukuche VW air cooled 10 January 11th 05 03:44 AM