rabbit rip off

Old August 28th 05, 01:59 PM
Eagle Creek

Default rabbit rip off

While cruising the net looking for a price for a front wheel
bearing, 1981 Rabbit I almost had to laugh at the wildly difference
in price...... One "discount" supply listed the bearing for over
$90.00 and I have seen it for $37.00

Is there a "reputable" place online to buy parts at a decent price for
my Rabbit?

I know this forum has great advice from users, so Thanks!

Old August 28th 05, 04:21 PM
Tom's VR6

http://germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen
Old August 28th 05, 04:55 PM
Woodchuck

Prices can vary so much as to where the bearing is made. From China to
Germany.

Old August 28th 05, 07:08 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Woodchuck wrote:

>Prices can vary so much as to where the bearing is made. From China to
>Germany.

I wonder where my original wheel bearings, and my replacements that
were required at about 70,000 miles, were made. ;-)

Actually, I now think that having the tire place remove my stuck
aluminum wheels with hammers was the cause of the early failure. And
given that the wheels have 9 spokes, it would have been so easy to
use a 3-legged wheel puller.

Old August 28th 05, 07:36 PM
Juka

"Eagle Creek" > wrote:

>While cruising the net looking for a price for a front wheel
>bearing, 1981 Rabbit I almost had to laugh at the wildly difference
>in price...... One "discount" supply listed the bearing for over
>$90.00 and I have seen it for $37.00

front wheel bearings are usually more expensive than the rear ones.

you should rather go for something in between with the price because
you dont change bearings every day, and you dont want to =)

for my nexia i recently got a rear bearing for $40, i hope it lasts
longer than those cheap ones that i had to change every two or so
years.

--
"Meni lova ne predstavlja nikakav gust,
ali ono kaj se kupi za nju predstavlja."
Old August 28th 05, 09:38 PM
Papa

Try the VWVortex forums.

Old August 29th 05, 12:21 AM
Dave

Juka > wrote:

>"Eagle Creek" > wrote:
>
>>While cruising the net looking for a price for a front wheel
>>bearing, 1981 Rabbit I almost had to laugh at the wildly difference
>>in price...... One "discount" supply listed the bearing for over
>>$90.00 and I have seen it for $37.00

>front wheel bearings are usually more expensive than the rear ones.
>
>you should rather go for something in between with the price because
>you dont change bearings every day, and you dont want to =)
>
>for my nexia i recently got a rear bearing for $40, i hope it lasts
>longer than those cheap ones that i had to change every two or so
>years.

I see whole assemblies for $80, bearing, installed in a rebuilt hub.

No press needed, simple bolt on.
Old August 29th 05, 08:53 AM
Juka

Dave > wrote:

>I see whole assemblies for $80, bearing, installed in a rebuilt hub.

new or?

>No press needed, simple bolt on.

i dont get it =)

Old August 29th 05, 10:03 AM
Dave

Juka > wrote:

>Dave > wrote:
>
>>I see whole assemblies for $80, bearing, installed in a rebuilt hub.

>new or?
>
>>No press needed, simple bolt on.

>i dont get it =)

The bearings are new, the hub assembly is rebuilt.

Don't understand what you don't understand.
Old August 29th 05, 03:16 PM
Brian Running

> While cruising the net looking for a price for a front wheel
> bearing, 1981 Rabbit I almost had to laugh at the wildly difference
> in price...... One "discount" supply listed the bearing for over
> $90.00 and I have seen it for $37.00

Remember, that "discount" outfit might be selling a top-quality,
well-built bearing that will last forever, and the $37 part is probably
Chinese-made, poor-tolerance, weak steel and will be shot in a year. I
am not a fan of Chinese-made anything, and I'm seeing more and more of
it in auto parts these days. When it comes to cars, where lives can
literally depend on parts not failing, you've got to do more than shop
on price.