HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! '92 Jetta heating system problems

Old October 10th 05, 08:49 PM
chopper12342

Default HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! '92 Jetta heating system problems

heating functional when car is stationary, as soon as drive there is not
heat. Changed the thermostat and problem persists. Engine temperature is
fine.

Old October 10th 05, 09:12 PM
One out of many daves

temperature stays in the middle when you are driving?

bad heater box flaps allowing too much fresh air in?
or a slight blockage in the heater hoses or core not allowing the coolant to
flow freely.
maybe you need to take off heater hoses at the engine and shoot some water
from the garden hose through one hose and the the other flushing out the
core.

was any coolant leak-stop used?

lkaboutautos.com...

Old October 11th 05, 03:41 AM
chopper12342

Thank you for your reply.

No Coolant leak stopper was ever used and the coolant was replaced with
new phosphate free coolant every two years since I bought the vehicle new
form the dealer.

The temp reads normal (in the middle, straight up). The heater works well
when stationary and when you drive off onto the freeway the heat turns into
cold air. This problem was never exerienced before.

The thermostat was replaced with an original VW with hopes of curing the
problem.

Once I return to city trafic the heat will return.

This is all the info I have gathered.

The heater core seems to be buried deep into the dash. How can I diagnose
the problem or "flush / clean" the heater core? I like the garden hose
solution.

Old October 11th 05, 05:02 PM
Peter Parker

In article outautos.com>,
chopper12342 > wrote:
>Thank you for your reply.
>
>No Coolant leak stopper was ever used and the coolant was replaced with
>new phosphate free coolant every two years since I bought the vehicle new
>form the dealer.
>
>The temp reads normal (in the middle, straight up). The heater works well
>when stationary and when you drive off onto the freeway the heat turns into
>cold air. This problem was never exerienced before.
>
>The thermostat was replaced with an original VW with hopes of curing the
>problem.
>
>Once I return to city trafic the heat will return.
>
>This is all the info I have gathered.
>
>The heater core seems to be buried deep into the dash. How can I diagnose
>the problem or "flush / clean" the heater core? I like the garden hose
>solution.

Check your vacuum hose through the firewall that controls the flaps. The hose
might have come loose.

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old October 11th 05, 06:37 PM
N8N

chopper12342 wrote:
> heating functional when car is stationary, as soon as drive there is not
> heat. Changed the thermostat and problem persists. Engine temperature is
> fine.

If the car has vacuum operated HVAC controls, this sounds like a
pinhole leak in one of the hoses; the flaps will set correctly when the
engine vacuum is high but will return to their "default" state when
vacuum drops. Also if there's a check valve in there somewhere that
might be suspect too.

good luck

nate

The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
2000 Jetta TDI problem Joe Bohnert VW water cooled 2 July 12th 05 10:54 PM
90 Jetta Idle problem on startup / 98 Jetta ignition key question Lee VW water cooled 2 June 14th 05 12:36 PM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 5 March 21st 05 05:33 AM
98 VW Jetta GL 2.0L gas - Electrical Problem - Help! Stephen VW water cooled 1 March 18th 05 08:34 PM