time to change the Timing Belt -- cost???

Old October 11th 05, 06:20 AM

Default time to change the Timing Belt -- cost???

Before I start calling around for price quotes in the morning, I wanted
to get some opinions about what cost I should expect to replace the
timing belt on my 2000 VW Jetta GL 2.0L. I'm at 62k miles, and the
belt is cracked and worn and ready for replacing.

I have a few options, as I am smack in the middle of LA proper.
Dealers. Mechanics. My company's mechanic (i work for a Limo company,
and we have 2 guys in the shop that do routine maintenance on the
mostly Lincoln Towncar fleet).

Does this job require many special tools and knowledge? Can I trust
independent mechanics to have the know how and capability?

thanks,

MattClark
++Los Angeles, CA++

Old October 13th 05, 12:44 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

I will ASSuME you must be the second owner since the original owner should
have a 100K mile or 10 year warranty on certain components. Timing belt
should be covered by that powertrain warranty. ;-)

I would only trust a mechanic that works on VWs to change it. A good
competent mechanic "should" be able to change it though. Make sure the belt
and the tensioner both get changed!!!
Not sure if you are going to change over the seals also since that is
sometimes done at the dealer.
I would guess the charges would be anywhere from $200 up to $400.

Call around and let us know how much the estimates are.

JMHO
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

ups.com...

Old October 13th 05, 12:53 AM
SteveH

dave AKA vwdoc1 > wrote:

> I will ASSuME you must be the second owner since the original owner should
> have a 100K mile or 10 year warranty on certain components. Timing belt
> should be covered by that powertrain warranty. ;-)

I wouldn't have thought so, given that a belt is a consumable.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Passat 1.8 Turbo SE - COSOC KOTL
Old October 13th 05, 03:39 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

well without it the engine won't run and could possible damage
valves/pistons if the conditions are just so!
(it disconnects parts of the engine)
it is also inside of the engine (timing cover).

I am not positive on this though, but I thought it might be worth a mention!
<g>
I am curious if it is or isn't covered too!
So someone with more knowledge PLEASE let us know.

. ..