Some air-cooled fun

Old May 3rd 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

Default Tail of the Dragon Crash - Was - Some air-cooled fun

OK, once you make it to The Dragon and have ridden it a few times,
comment some more about pushing the limits on the street. As always,
I'm glad I could help. :-D

Old May 3rd 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

Bryan wrote:
> "Brian" > wrote in message
> >

> > So you will just 'drop the flag' for Shag & Bryan's little adventure into
> > the dynamics of cornering.....and follow them down to pick up the pieces?

> I'm sure tail of the dragon is a great ride, but since I am 2000 miles away
> and the Rockies are in my back yard I'll just settle for being schooled by
> the local riders on the track.
>
> Maybe it is just me but I try to avoid pushing the limits on the street.
> You know, live to ride another day and all.

Exceeding you comfort zone in a futile attempt to keep up there can
result in undue wasted time and money fer sure.

http://www.members.aol.com/saddlebag/no_fun.jpg

Old May 3rd 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

Yeah, I helped pull a 500 Ninja up off of the side of the mountain
using a tow strap while I was there. And right after I low-sided my
bike (like 10 minutes after) an ambulance passed me going the other
way. I found out later another guy had dumped his bike about the same
time I did and had broken his leg. I got lucky in my crash. I'm not
sure why Bryan keeps talking about living to ride another day as if
though I died, though. :-) Hell, I rode to work and back today (42
mile round trip) and rode about 350 miles home on Sunday on my return
trip. I lived to ride another day. I just skinned my elbow up and got
a couple of bruises in the process of finding out what my current limit
is and improved on my riding while doing it. But because I dropped my
bike he now labels me a squid. He seems really bitter about something
but I haven't put my finger on what that something is just yet. I'm
sure he'll blurt it out soon enough. :-)

Old May 3rd 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

Shag wrote:
> Yeah, I helped pull a 500 Ninja up off of the side of the mountain
> using a tow strap while I was there. And right after I low-sided my
> bike (like 10 minutes after) an ambulance passed me going the other
> way. I found out later another guy had dumped his bike about the same
> time I did and had broken his leg. I got lucky in my crash. I'm not
> sure why Bryan keeps talking about living to ride another day as if
> though I died, though. :-) Hell, I rode to work and back today (42
> mile round trip) and rode about 350 miles home on Sunday on my return
> trip. I lived to ride another day. I just skinned my elbow up and got
> a couple of bruises in the process of finding out what my current limit
> is and improved on my riding while doing it.

But did you get pictures of your injuries posted on the bulletin board
of the dew drop inn?

> But because I dropped my
> bike he now labels me a squid.

It could be because your original post came across as somewhat glib.
Many in here expect a more remorseful, dejected recap of such a
encounter followed by a sermon swearing off street riding.

> He seems really bitter about something
> but I haven't put my finger on what that something is just yet. I'm
> sure he'll blurt it out soon enough. :-)

Naw, he doesn't come across that way to me. He's just embarking on a
time honored AMS tradition; namely, belittle the guy who rides "more
dangerously" than you do.

Old May 3rd 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

No, didn't get pictures of my injuries posted, much less even taken. A
scab on my elbow and some bruises aren't what I'd consider to be
exciting. Here, I just got one of my scabby elbow just for Bryan.
http://x402.putfile.com/5/12119335799.jpg Sorry for not replying
inline. I'm using google to access newsgroups nowadays because I don't
participate in them nearly as much as I used to. I didn't mean for my
original post to come across as being glib. I was just pretty excited
over the whole thing. Excited because it was an exciting experience
and I guess because I wasn't hurt badly from it. I enjoy sharing stuff
like that. And to address the last comment about how he is trying to
belittle me because I ride "more dangerously" than he does, I'm not
sure what to say about that. Everyone I've seen who went to The Dragon
went to enjoy the challenging road and to ride at their limit. For
those who haven't been there, check out some information on it and try
to get out there sometime to experience it for yourself. It's worth
just about any trip. Here's a link:
http://tailofthedragon.com/dragon.html The offer to run The Dragon
with you is still open, Bryan.

Old May 3rd 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

"Shag" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I just skinned my elbow up and got
> a couple of bruises in the process of finding out what my current limit
> is and improved on my riding while doing it. But because I dropped my
> bike he now labels me a squid. He seems really bitter about something
> but I haven't put my finger on what that something is just yet. I'm
> sure he'll blurt it out soon enough. :-)

Finding "your limit" on the street is the issue. Along with the "WOOHOO,
that was fun."

If that had been a right hander you could have easily ended up under
oncoming traffic. Is it really worth the risk? Riding is dangerous to begin
with.

So yeah, I have a problem with "Ricky Racers" and stuntas on the street. If
you want to find your limits and those of your bike, take it to a track.
(Although, I doubt they'll let you ride the Warrior on a track, hehe).

Believe it or not Shag, we go way back (think Camo paint on your bug and the
stinger exhaust and fried clutch...). I disagree with you on just about
everything (where do you stand on Carolina BBQ?) but I actually like you,
you are honest, I respect that. But sheesh, crashing your bike on a public
road? What are you trying to prove and why? I know you have kids, set an
example for them.

Safety first and all that.

Bryan

And one last thing, I am a hypocrite, I do ride above the speed limit, but I
have given up riding with the liter bike guys who just go balls out at 100+
all the time...

Old May 3rd 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

I don't normally ride like that "on the street." For the last time, go
to the dragon one time and watch how things work there. Have you ever
been there? I don't think you have. Want to answer that question?
Read up on it at least if you won't go to it. If I rode at 30 mph on
that road, I'd be more of a danger to others than if I rode it at 60+
mph. I wasn't trying to prove anything. I was trying to have fun and
I sure as hell did. "WHOOO HOOO," remember? Yes, it was worth the
risk. You like making cracks about my bike and me, but I can't help
thinking I could outride you any day of the week. I hope you
understand why you **** me off when you make cracks about my riding, my
examples to my kids, call me names, etc. I guess that's how you
entertain yourself. You're funny in a sad kind of way.

Old May 3rd 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

Shag wrote:
> Here, I just got one of my scabby elbow just for Bryan.
> http://x402.putfile.com/5/12119335799.jpg

Iv'e picked bigger scabs than that for foreplay......
Old May 3rd 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

Shag wrote:
> Sorry for not replying
> inline. I'm using google to access newsgroups nowadays because I don't
> participate in them nearly as much as I used to.

Well, someone here taught me how to do just this so I'll pass it along.

Click reply...preview...edit message and viola, inlined conversation.

> Everyone I've seen who went to The Dragon
> went to enjoy the challenging road and to ride at their limit.

It is a fine piece of tarmac.

Old May 3rd 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,alt.motorcycle.sportbike

"Shag" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I don't normally ride like that "on the street." For the last time, go
> to the dragon one time and watch how things work there. Have you ever
> been there? I don't think you have. Want to answer that question?

I'll answer the question.
Nope, never been there, it is 2000 miles away. But then you've never ridden
East Canyon or Wolf Creek Pass, or Monte Cristo, or Little Cottonwood, or
anyone of a dozen more canyons around Salt Lake... So what.

> Read up on it at least if you won't go to it. If I rode at 30 mph on
> that road, I'd be more of a danger to others than if I rode it at 60+
> mph. I wasn't trying to prove anything. I was trying to have fun and
> I sure as hell did. "WHOOO HOOO," remember? Yes, it was worth the
> risk.

Really? Don't you love your wife and kids?

>You like making cracks about my bike and me, but I can't help

Can you quote where I made a crack about you or your bike? (Aside from the
fact it wouldn't be allowed on a track? That is just a fact.)

> thinking I could outride you any day of the week. I hope you
> understand why you **** me off when you make cracks about my riding, my

Hehe, well you are the one that crashed... And I don't really care if you
can outride me. I have nothing to prove. Hell, just about anyone could
"outride" me, whatever that means. I just make it a point not to crash.

> examples to my kids, call me names, etc. I guess that's how you
> entertain yourself. You're funny in a sad kind of way.

I never called you a name. Please show everyone a quote where I called you
a name. Oh yeah, you ARE a squid. Just a fact, not really name calling.

After 18 years of riding I think you would have learned to not crash...

So get a grip, crashing is nothing to brag about.

Bryan