How do you remove front headrests from a 1996 Jetta?

Old June 7th 09, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
JM_newsgroups

Default How do you remove front headrests from a 1996 Jetta?

I'm tearing down the front seats to swap the foam rubber/cloth, as the
driver's seat is shot. I don't feel like shopping for replacement
seats at this time. I've removed the cloth partially, and I see
various springs, rods, clips, etc., keeping the assembly together. I
love that horsehair-looking back pad (not). It doesn't smell too
great inside that seat. Anyway, I was hoping to remove the springs
that connect to the metal frame and slide the whole thing off, but I
can't due to the headrests. Do they have to be disconnected from the
inside? The rods won't come out, and I see no way to pry out the
plastic receptacles from the outside. Thank you!

P.S. - The foam is badly cracked. Can anybody recommend a glue to
seal it up a bit?
Old June 7th 09, 02:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Nate Nagel[_2_]

JM_newsgroups wrote:
> I'm tearing down the front seats to swap the foam rubber/cloth, as the
> driver's seat is shot. I don't feel like shopping for replacement
> seats at this time. I've removed the cloth partially, and I see
> various springs, rods, clips, etc., keeping the assembly together. I
> love that horsehair-looking back pad (not). It doesn't smell too
> great inside that seat. Anyway, I was hoping to remove the springs
> that connect to the metal frame and slide the whole thing off, but I
> can't due to the headrests. Do they have to be disconnected from the
> inside? The rods won't come out, and I see no way to pry out the
> plastic receptacles from the outside. Thank you!
>
> P.S. - The foam is badly cracked. Can anybody recommend a glue to
> seal it up a bit?

There's a trick to removing the headrests, but I can't remember what it
is. (tilt them forward while pulling? maybe?) check your owner's
manual if you have it. Later cars you remove the headrests by squeezing
a tab on the plastic trim at the top of the seat, but I don't know if VW
adopted that, and if so, when.

I know that I removed the center rear headrest from my '02 GTI for
better visibility, but I don't have the car anymore and don't remember
how I did it...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old June 7th 09, 10:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
JM_newsgroups

Answer:

The black receptacles have narrow slots visible from the sides on the
seat back top. I subconsciously knew they had to be for something,
and that would be for hidden cotter pins. You need to push the cotter
pins out with a slender screwdriver. Then, the receptacles can be
pinched and pushed thru from the inside of the seat back. VW REALLY
didn't want those headrests to be easily removed. (Safety/lawsuits/
etc.?)
Old June 7th 09, 10:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
JM_newsgroups

On Jun 7, 4:02*pm, JM_newsgroups > wrote:
> Answer:
>
> The black receptacles have narrow slots visible from the sides on the
> seat back top. *I subconsciously knew they had to be for something,
> and that would be for hidden cotter pins. *You need to push the cotter
> pins out with a slender screwdriver. *Then, the receptacles can be
> pinched and pushed thru from the inside of the seat back. *VW REALLY
> didn't want those headrests to be easily removed. *(Safety/lawsuits/
> etc.?)

To clarify, you can pull the headrests completely off after the cotter
pins are removed. Then, the receptacles can be removed. Hmm, I
wonder if I'll remember to put the cotter pins back in.