seeking input on 2000 VW TDi automatic with 212k miles

Old June 9th 09, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Aawara Chowdhury

Default seeking input on 2000 VW TDi automatic with 212k miles

I have a 2000 New Beetle TDi manual, and generally it has behaved
rather well. I purchased this vehicle with about 110k miles, and
have added 10000 miles in just about a year.

I am considering the purchase of a second TDi - this one is a 2000
Jetta GL TDi. It has 212000 miles, with a single owner. I know
the mechanic who has done the maintenance; and I know that most
of the miles were put on by driving about 100 highway miles a day.

The following work has been done on the car:
a) engine rebuild
b) timing belt about 10000 miles ago - don't know if the water
pump and tensioner were done at the same time, but I can
find out
c) New leather for the seats (1.5 years old)
d) Newish tires (about 10k miles on them)
e) Battery is about 2 years old

Oil changes have been done regularly at 6 months / 5000 miles.

I am concerned about the auto trans. My mechanic tells me that this
would be his concern too, however - he has never come across a TDi
auto transmission that has failed on any '98 - '04 New Beetle, Jetta,
or Golf. And I'm told that the auto trans on the diesels is a little
more rugged than the auto trans for the 1.8l turbo gasoline engine.

So - what are your thoughts? Setting myself up for an expensive
repair in the near future, or take a chance? The price is
pretty good ~ $4000

Thanks,
AC
--
Email: echo 36434455860060025978157675027927670979097959886449 930P | dc