oil filter

Old March 9th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
07jetta

Default oil filter

we bought a 2007 jetta and we have not replaced the oil and filter on
this car. We bought the oil filter filament but not sure where the oil
filter housing. Where is the housing for the oil filter? Any special
tools to replace the filter? Any special direction on removing the
filter? What is the torque specs on the bolt holding the canister?

Thank you
jetta
Old March 10th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

usually the oil filter housing is attached to the engine possible close to
the oil cooler.

is this a tdi not in the usa? or ???
but I am not sure which engine is in your Jetta!

Old March 10th 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

www.Germanautoparts.com www.parts4vw.com and a slew of TDI sites I
shop at for parts. They may have a listing for your car. Also note
that some VWs have specific oils recommended Just any old oil in the
proper weight may not be the proper oil. Some have numbers like 505.01
or such. Look in your owners manual for the proper listings. My TDI
happens to be happy with a few oils available at Walmart or Autozone.
The newer TDIs want a more special oil that I would have to special
order. Even the gas engines have special oils so you need to refer to
the owners manual that came with the car.

It appears that your car uses a canister filter like my car. You
should get a oil filter cap removal tool. It looks sort of like this.
http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Oil-Filter-.../dp/B000I1988G You
might just call the parts house to ask. I get my filters in 10 packs
with sealing rings. I also have a torx screwdriver as I have to remove
10 torx screws to get to the bottom of the engine to remove the drain
plug. I think it is a 25 but I could be wrong. I just reach in to the
screwdriver box until I grab the right driver.

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 16:00:36 -0700 (PDT), 07jetta

Old March 10th 08, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
07jetta

Dave,

I forgot to say. the engine is 2.5L gas BGP.

Old March 11th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck[_4_]

you must remove the belly pan to get to the filter which is located on front
of the block. And VW calls for synthetic oil and 5000mile oil change
intervals.

Old March 12th 08, 03:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Mar 10, 8:35 pm, "Lost In Space/Woodchuck" >
wrote:
> And VW calls for synthetic oil and 5000mile oil change
> intervals.

Just surfing the web yesterday and ran across a copy of the letter
that I was supposed to get telling me that they changed the
recommendations for my 1999 Passat 1.8T to synthetic oil and 5000 mile
changes. (The owner's manual says nothing about synthetic, and
changes are 7500 miles).

Had the oil pump replaced at 68K miles (covered it under warranty, no
request for oil change documentation), oil light flickered on a couple
of weeks ago just before I started a round of Auto-RX cleaner. Light
hasn't come on since, hopefully the stuff works and I caught it in
time...

Oil filter changing irritation and fuel filter question. Some Dude Ford Explorer 4 August 19th 06 01:04 AM
I'm not using a K&N air filter ever again... Daniel J. Stern Chrysler 35 September 25th 05 04:06 PM
Air filter and mpg. tomkanpa Chrysler 57 September 25th 05 07:32 AM
I'm not using a K&N air filter ever again... [email protected] Technology 53 September 19th 05 05:13 AM
air conditioner filter (cabin filter) chibitul Honda 1 July 18th 05 07:42 AM