95 cabrio start power problem

Old May 6th 09, 05:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Default 95 cabrio start power problem

Hmmm
Then I would suspect the ign switch being faulty.
If you ever take one apart you will notice that the springs inside holding
the contacts to one another weaken due to heat. I have even "rebuilt" an
ign switch by cleaning up the contacts and replacing the springs. This
switch actually worked longer than an aftermarket switch that I purchased.
lol

You can purchase a good ign switch and just plug the harness to it and test
out the stalling problem. Of course you will still need the key to unlock
the steering wheel!

Just a suggestion!
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old June 1st 09, 01:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
SpiceCD

I just wanted to provide a quick update.

There are actually 4 separate issues going on with my Cabrio:

The ignition switch was faulty which is why the dash lights, battery,
oil, seat belt, ect would either not light or would die out as I
turned the key (You were dead on Mark!)
The relay #109 was faulty which is why the car would randomly buck and
die out slowly. Also, it was the reason why I couldn' t pull any
trouble codes and the car would die on me when I tried. Once I
replaced it, I haven' had any other problems with bucking/stallig and
the car drives perfectly.
The oil leak was from the rear of the oil pan gasket.
And lastly, the instrument cluster is faulty. I plugged in a cluster
that was borrowed from another car and I it worked fine.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Old June 2nd 09, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Congrats to locating the problems.
And thanks for the update!

Old June 28th 09, 08:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Doug Slater

Troublesome car you've got there!

This information proved useful in diagnosing a faulty switch in my 95
Jetta. Thanks for posting back your final solutions.