Expected Hose Life - VR6 Engine

Old May 20th 09, 09:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Expected Hose Life - VR6 Engine

We are about to embark on a long trip with our 1999 VW Winnie Camper.
62,000 miles excellent condition, brakes and cooling system flushed
(with correct replacement antifreeze) when we got it 30 months ago.
Per information we got from the seller, it had 'all services' done to
it for the warranty period and beyond to about 40,000 miles. THe
warranty book supported this. We got it at 49,000 miles.

We are about to go on a long trip through the western mid-west to
include about 2500 miles in total over 2 weeks, mostly the first and
last two days. But some of this trip will be in emphatically remote
areas far from VW dealers.

Do I shotgun the hoses and serpentine belt, or do I take my (very
good) mechanic's word for "they look and feel fine"?

As an aside, we get 20+mpg with the thing on long trips - it can get
out of its own way on the highway and has all the 'modern
conveniences' such as airbags, anti-lock, traction control and AC that
works. Add to that such things as a working refrigerator, stove,
heater, auxiliary power and so forth - it is a far cry from our old
Westie. Perhaps less 'romance' but the reliability quotient is off the
charts by comparison.

Thanks in advance!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old May 20th 09, 11:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

On Wed, 20 May 2009 13:41:53 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>We are about to embark on a long trip with our 1999 VW Winnie Camper.
>62,000 miles excellent condition, brakes and cooling system flushed
>(with correct replacement antifreeze) when we got it 30 months ago.
>Per information we got from the seller, it had 'all services' done to
>it for the warranty period and beyond to about 40,000 miles. THe
>warranty book supported this. We got it at 49,000 miles.
>
>We are about to go on a long trip through the western mid-west to
>include about 2500 miles in total over 2 weeks, mostly the first and
>last two days. But some of this trip will be in emphatically remote
>areas far from VW dealers.
>
>Do I shotgun the hoses and serpentine belt, or do I take my (very
>good) mechanic's word for "they look and feel fine"?

if he's that good, then why not take his advice? Personally, a 2500
mile trip isn't that big a deal... I did two 3500 mile trips in
March/April with no problems other than seeing way too many crappy
drivers.

Old May 21st 09, 12:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On May 20, 6:42*pm, PeterD > wrote:

> if he's that good, then why not take his advice? Personally, a 2500
> mile trip isn't that big a deal... I did two 3500 mile trips in
> March/April with no problems other than seeing way too many crappy
> drivers.

Crappy drivers go with the territory. As my Texas State Trooper
driving instructor used to say: Drive like the other guy's crazy.

Not so much the distance as the age of the vehicle. Were it just me, I
would go the distance - but the trip includes the wife and the dog.
They might think differently.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old May 21st 09, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

I guess I would listen to the mechanic if you trust him AND you trust your
VW.
You can always purchase the spare parts to have just in case.........and you
WON'T need them! lol
It seems like if you prepare for the worse, it never comes. ;-)

Have fun, be safe, and we are only an internet away! ;-)
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old May 21st 09, 12:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On May 20, 10:04*pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
> wrote:
> I guess I would listen to the mechanic if you trust him AND you trust your
> VW.
> You can always purchase the spare parts to have just in case.........and you
> WON'T need them! *lol
> It seems like if you prepare for the worse, it never comes. *;-)

Actually, that is probably what we will do. I have changed belts on
these beasts on-the-fly, hoses and clamps don't take up much space,
and it does carry 20+ gallons of water when 'fully loaded'.

I will need to remember to bring that 8mm bolt to loosen the
tensioner... hmmmm....

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old May 21st 09, 02:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

On Wed, 20 May 2009 16:25:07 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On May 20, 6:42*pm, PeterD > wrote:
>
>> if he's that good, then why not take his advice? Personally, a 2500
>> mile trip isn't that big a deal... I did two 3500 mile trips in
>> March/April with no problems other than seeing way too many crappy
>> drivers.

>Crappy drivers go with the territory. As my Texas State Trooper
>driving instructor used to say: Drive like the other guy's crazy.
>
>Not so much the distance as the age of the vehicle. Were it just me, I
>would go the distance - but the trip includes the wife and the dog.
>They might think differently.

Bwa-ha-ha-ha... You're lost in that case! <bg> However, I've found
that most of the time things don't fall apart on a long trip, and the
things that do break are ones that you never anticipated breaking
(like a front hub in a newer Dodge truck!)

Old May 22nd 09, 02:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Well like I said..........we are only a message away if you need us! lol