How long do stock brake pads last?

Old August 28th 05, 10:18 AM
BradandBrooks

Default How long do stock brake pads last?

On a 5.0?

What is the mileage before they need to be replaced?

Thanks all.

Brad

Old August 28th 05, 05:19 PM
Jim Warman

A lot depends on where and how you drive... there is no time or mileage
constraint. For bonded pads, I would replace them when the lining material
is down to 3mm above the backing. For rivetted pads, 3mm above the tops of
the rivet heads.

Similarly, pads with loose, chunked or cracked lining material should be
replaced no matter what the thickness remaining is.

HTH

newsjfQe.324011$s54.138761@pd7tw2no...

Old August 28th 05, 06:59 PM
dwight

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
newsulQe.199499$9A2.84552@edtnps89...
>A lot depends on where and how you drive... there is no time or mileage
> constraint. For bonded pads, I would replace them when the lining material
> is down to 3mm above the backing. For rivetted pads, 3mm above the tops of
> the rivet heads.
>
> Similarly, pads with loose, chunked or cracked lining material should be
> replaced no matter what the thickness remaining is.
>
> HTH

Pads are cheap. Cheaper than my Power Slots. I like to have them changed
every year at inspection time, since they're checking the brakes anyway. At
least every other year...

I agree with your 3mm minimum, but I'd hate to see them get that low.

With the stock setup, the bigger problem was the rotors, which warped far
too easily.

dwight

Old August 28th 05, 08:57 PM
Joe

"dwight" > wrote in
:

> "Jim Warman" > wrote in message
> newsulQe.199499$9A2.84552@edtnps89...
>>A lot depends on where and how you drive... there is no time or
>>mileage
>> constraint. For bonded pads, I would replace them when the lining
>> material is down to 3mm above the backing. For rivetted pads, 3mm
>> above the tops of the rivet heads.
>>
>> Similarly, pads with loose, chunked or cracked lining material
>> should be replaced no matter what the thickness remaining is.
>>
>> HTH

> Pads are cheap. Cheaper than my Power Slots. I like to have them
> changed every year at inspection time, since they're checking the
> brakes anyway. At least every other year...

The Power Slots are the best thing I've put on the LX with regards to
braking. Not a shread of warping since I put them on 6 years ago.

Old August 28th 05, 10:01 PM
WindsorFox[SS]

BradandBrooks wrote:
> On a 5.0?
>
> What is the mileage before they need to be replaced?
>
> Thanks all.
>
> Brad

It depends on how much you stop.

--

"Gullible is a misdemeanor - stupid is a felony...
clueless gets you committed..." - JG
Old August 29th 05, 03:30 AM
BradandBrooks

Thanks guys!