99 Chrysler T&C wobble in front end

Old December 29th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Joe6PackAmerican

Default 99 Chrysler T&C wobble in front end

Hi everyone.
I'm having trouble with my 99 Chrysler T&C 3.3L. I've replaced tires,
wheel bearings, axle shafts but I still have a wobble on acceleration
at any speed over 10mph. The wobble stops on deceleration from any
speed. I'm finding answers telling me that the engine mounts are bad
and I'm wondering if this is a shade tree job as well. Where would I
support the engine while removing the mounts and how hard are they to
replace and have you heard of this being a common problem.

Thanks in advance
KM
Old December 30th 08, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Joe6PackAmerican > wrote:
>Hi everyone.
>I'm having trouble with my 99 Chrysler T&C 3.3L. I've replaced tires,
>wheel bearings, axle shafts but I still have a wobble on acceleration
>at any speed over 10mph. The wobble stops on deceleration from any
>speed. I'm finding answers telling me that the engine mounts are bad
>and I'm wondering if this is a shade tree job as well. Where would I
>support the engine while removing the mounts and how hard are they to
>replace and have you heard of this being a common problem.

I have not worked on that car, but I can believe that engine mounts could
be the issue, and I would expect it would be a shadetree job. Try shaking
the engine and looking at the motor mounts.... you should be able to tell
pretty easily if one is broken.

There isn't a whole lot of support needed to change a single mount, but
I have done it (on a Chrysler Laser) with pieces of 2X4 stacked up.
--scott
Old December 30th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ulf

Scott Dorsey skrev:
> Joe6PackAmerican > wrote:
>> Hi everyone.
>> I'm having trouble with my 99 Chrysler T&C 3.3L. I've replaced tires,
>> wheel bearings, axle shafts but I still have a wobble on acceleration
>> at any speed over 10mph. The wobble stops on deceleration from any
>> speed. I'm finding answers telling me that the engine mounts are bad
>> and I'm wondering if this is a shade tree job as well. Where would I
>> support the engine while removing the mounts and how hard are they to
>> replace and have you heard of this being a common problem.

> I have not worked on that car, but I can believe that engine mounts could
> be the issue, and I would expect it would be a shadetree job. Try shaking
> the engine and looking at the motor mounts.... you should be able to tell
> pretty easily if one is broken.

It's easier if you have a helper looking at the engine while you sit in
the car and, with the right foot hard on the brake, give a bit of gas.
Alternate between D and R, and your helper should see the engine move
about if a mount is bad.

> There isn't a whole lot of support needed to change a single mount, but
> I have done it (on a Chrysler Laser) with pieces of 2X4 stacked up.
> --scott

Ulf
Old December 30th 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message

> There isn't a whole lot of support needed to change a single mount, but
> I have done it (on a Chrysler Laser) with pieces of 2X4 stacked up.
> --scott

I agree, Scott... If the OP can find the mounts and get a clear view of
them,
he may be able to see if they are broken just by looking.. He would
certainly
get an idea of how hard it will be to get under there, lift the engine, and
remove the mounts.

Old December 31st 08, 08:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
KMullins

On Dec 29, 6:54*pm, Joe6PackAmerican >
wrote:
> Hi everyone.
> I'm having trouble with my 99 Chrysler T&C 3.3L. *I've replaced tires,

Thanks for the replies everyone. The engine moves back and forth a
good 2 to 3 inches while holding the brake and switching from drive to
reverse. I've been told that there shouldn't be anymore than 1/2 to 1
inch of movement.

I'm leary of using the oil pan as the support for taking the weight
off of the mount even using wood (which is some advice from another
site) any reassurances or details of how to use the oil pan..
Old January 1st 09, 03:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
man of machines

is the wobble from the drivetrain or the engine accesoies look at the ac
compressor clutch to make sure it isn't blown out

Old January 1st 09, 03:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
man of machines

i just remembered i have replaced quite a few flex plates that are cracked on
the these vans for the same complaint but usually also have fault codes for cam/
crank sensor/sync issues or banging noise while cranking

Old January 2nd 09, 12:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
KMullins

On Jan 1, 10:46*am, man of machines > wrote:
> i just remembered i have replaced *quite a few flex plates that are cracked on
> the these vans for the same complaint but usually also have fault codes for cam/
> crank sensor/sync issues or *banging *noise while cranking

Thanks for the reply. The engine purrs like a kitten. No check engine
lights and no knocking or hard starting.
I'm going to be checking the mounts and replacing any that are bad on
Saturday.

KM

right front wobble WhiteOut Technology 3 September 24th 06 03:39 PM
E46 front end wobble sgfan3 BMW 9 November 24th 05 05:55 AM
2004TJ front end wobble [email protected] Jeep 43 July 2nd 05 07:26 PM
Front end wobble/clank [email protected] Technology 10 May 9th 05 04:26 PM
1995 Dodge Intrepid funny wobble from front end Joseph Markovich Dodge 4 August 9th 04 03:41 PM