right front wobble

Old September 24th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
WhiteOut

Default right front wobble

91 mazda 929 172k mi.

been experiencing a wobble in right front wheel when braking hard at high
speed, and also when veering right at high speed only (does not happen when
turning left).

1. rotated tires--seems to solve it for a couple weeks or so, then back
again. tires only about a year old.
2. replaced front rotors and pads (still had orig rotors). seems to
alleviate wobble when braking hard now, but still there when veering right.

sooo--what's next to eliminate? if it is out of alignment,I would thing the
shimmy would be there regardless...

tie rod boots are cracked so i gotta do those anyway, would a ball joint
cause this? which should i tackle first?

trying to dump as little $$ into this car as possible--only need it for
about another year.

Old September 24th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
187

a few things could cause the wobble.
it sounds more like a wheel bearing than anything else, but tie-rods, or
ball joints could do it too.
jack the right wheel up, and move the wheel around, and see what is
loose.
if the bearing is bad enough, you can hear it when you roll it.
hope this helps
matt

Old September 24th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
WhiteOut

"187" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
>a few things could cause the wobble.
> it sounds more like a wheel bearing than anything else, but tie-rods, or
> ball joints could do it too.
> jack the right wheel up, and move the wheel around, and see what is
> loose.
> if the bearing is bad enough, you can hear it when you roll it.
> hope this helps
> matt

in this car the rotor/hub are one unit. so i had the bearings pressed out
and back in to the new rotors by a local shop. then screwed the wheel
lock-nut in place to secure the rotor firmly in place. spun the rotor back
and forth, and also pushed and pulled to check for any play--all was good.

did it again when i mounted the tire--no play in any direction.

i did not hear any 'grinding' noise or any other

Old September 24th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

To see if it's a tie rod end, you lay under and watch while someone
wiggles the steering wheels side to side. When the joints are bad there
will be some play. If the boots are torn, that is an almost for sure
the joint is bad to cause the boot to tear.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's