Woodchuck were are you?

Old November 19th 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Woodchuck were are you?

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 06:58:56 -0600, "dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote:

>snip
>Should be no name calling here please! We are all VW owners/lovers and
>should be above that! <g>

i agree , we should count our blessings snoman doesn't frequent this
newsgroup
Old November 19th 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Peter Parker

In article >,
dave AKA vwdoc1 > wrote:

>snip
>Should be no name calling here please! We are all VW owners/lovers and
>should be above that! <g>
>
>> You report getting about 115 K miles on a clutch. That seems below
>> average for a VW clutch.

>The most mileage I have seen out of a clutch is 140K miles. This usually
>occurs when there is ONLY 1 educated driver driving the Jetta/Golf.

Dave- My clutch is still good. It's not slipping. Tom VRdick doesn't know
what he is reading.
--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old November 19th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Archangel[_2_]

My clutch currently has 180000 on it and still going strong.

Old November 20th 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

Then I will say that you are a great driver! ;-)

Old November 20th 07, 05:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

"Peter Parker" > wrote in message

snip

I think I read that your clutch was not slipping but I also read you were
having trouble shifting gears. This still could be a sign of a bad clutch.

Maybe there was a misunderstanding but don't fall into the name calling trap
please. It is horrible on the aircooled group over 1 person. :-(
People are here to help or get help.
Sugar vs vinegar getting more........well you know! ;-)

BTW did you pull off that round trans cover and check that arm out? Was it
cracked and not doing its job?

Old November 20th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Archangel[_2_]

Thanks!
(and thanks Dad for teaching me how and all your little tricks)

. net...

Old November 20th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Peter Parker

In article > ,
dave AKA vwdoc1 > wrote:

>"Peter Parker" > wrote in message
>
>snip
>
>I think I read that your clutch was not slipping but I also read you were
>having trouble shifting gears. This still could be a sign of a bad clutch.

Dave- I'm sure the clutch is worn especially since I've let another driver
(my GF) use it since her Honda retired. I taught her how to drive stick on
the honda and that clutch is still good. If the front-end parts do not
engage the clutch, it won't shift unless you're a truck driver and shift
without a clutch which I won't do with a VW.

>Maybe there was a misunderstanding but don't fall into the name calling trap
>please. It is horrible on the aircooled group over 1 person. :-(
>People are here to help or get help.
>Sugar vs vinegar getting more........well you know! ;-)

Yes I agree. However when someone thinks he knows what he's talking about
and wants to snipe out an ignorant comment, to get a rise. That's a troll.
If he was joking he should have let me know but obviously he was serious;
seriously flawed.

>BTW did you pull off that round trans cover and check that arm out? Was it
>cracked and not doing its job?

No I can't work on it now, it's parked at work until after Thanksgiving.
I bet that is what it is. I have large rubber grommets that I am going to
temp add to the auto adjust cable assy by cutting a slit and inserting a few under
the assy. That should give me a few more millimeters on the TO bushing and
rod. This might be enough to confirm your info.

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old November 20th 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Peter Parker

In article <n3C0j.575$r81.225@trndny05>,
Archangel > wrote:
>Thanks!
>(and thanks Dad for teaching me how and all your little tricks)
>
>"dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
.net...
>> Then I will say that you are a great driver! ;-)
>>
>> "Archangel" > wrote in message
>>> My clutch currently has 180000 on it and still going strong.

Congrats on the clutch and I would be curious what year VW and model
it is?

Did you know that VW has had nothing but serious problems with the tranny and
clutch issues on their newer, heavier, torqued TDIs with that dual mass
flywheel and the 1.8T? Failure at less than 12K miles which is supposed
to be warranty only to claim the clutch is a wear item even if it was
under the 12K mile limit. Crazy stuff. Lots of unhappy owners getting hosed.

The older VWs which are lighter less torque have been engineered accordingly.
New models using the old specs because the good engineers probably left
are really a black mark. JMO and speculation on my part and just a WAG.
However, why all the failures?

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old November 20th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Archangel[_2_]

> Congrats on the clutch and I would be curious what year VW and model
> it is?

It's in a 1992 Jetta GL

> Did you know that VW has had nothing but serious problems with the tranny
> and
> clutch issues on their newer, heavier, torqued TDIs with that dual mass
> flywheel and the 1.8T? Failure at less than 12K miles which is supposed
> to be warranty only to claim the clutch is a wear item even if it was
> under the 12K mile limit. Crazy stuff. Lots of unhappy owners getting
> hosed.
>
> The older VWs which are lighter less torque have been engineered
> accordingly.
> New models using the old specs because the good engineers probably left
> are really a black mark. JMO and speculation on my part and just a WAG.
> However, why all the failures?

As for the rest, IMHO it comes down to not knowing how/having the ability to
use a clutch properly.
Case in point, my brother burnt through two clutches in his Rabbit, in less
than a week.

Of course I'll admit I might be wrong, having never worked on or driven the
TDIs.

Old November 20th 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

"Peter Parker" > wrote in message

snip

> Did you know that VW has had nothing but serious problems with the tranny
> and
> clutch issues on their newer, heavier, torqued TDIs with that dual mass
> flywheel and the 1.8T? Failure at less than 12K miles which is supposed
> to be warranty only to claim the clutch is a wear item even if it was
> under the 12K mile limit. Crazy stuff. Lots of unhappy owners getting
> hosed.
>
> The older VWs which are lighter less torque have been engineered
> accordingly.
> New models using the old specs because the good engineers probably left
> are really a black mark. JMO and speculation on my part and just a WAG.
> However, why all the failures?

On a 2001 GTi with the VR6 engine had its pressure plate get sooo weak that
it was allowing slippage.
No oil residue, nice thick clutch disc, no burn marks.
Owner has been driving sticks for over 40 years and is still driving sticks.
Oh and she also drives her husband's '97 GTi VR6 that I don't recall ever
having to do a clutch in his and it has over 120K miles on it.
Of course I might have forgotten about installing a clutch on it if it has
been over 4-5 years since doing it.

So I conclude that maybe the newer PRESSURE PLATEs might not have enough
holding power to them. Maybe it was designed to make the shifting a little
softer. I dunno but this is what I have observed! OR it could be those
stepped flywheels with incorrect distances between the surfaces.
BTW I would prefer some grabbing over some slipping! ;-)
I have also noticed that the transverse engines seem to go through clutches
a little quicker than inline engines.
Of course you have "expert" drivers that have over 180K miles on the
original clutch. ;-)

Maybe Woodchuck can comment on this. ;-)

--
later,
dave