Need Tire Balance opinion please

Old July 8th 04, 01:42 AM
Rosebud

Default Need Tire Balance opinion please

Hi,
I rotated (Fleet Farm) Duralon radials front to back (99 Gr Caravan). It was
overdue, 2 years about 20K mi. The tires in the back, now the front look
very good. However, the very next day I could feel a bad vibration in the
steering wheel at 65-70 MPH. Fleet Farm determined both front tires were
out of balance. One very bad. Balancing fixed the vibration.
Here's my question. Could those tires have been poorly balanced to begin
with, but not known because they were in the back where you don't feel it?
or In 2 years of use, although they look good, have enough wear and tear to
be that much out of balance.
Thanks,
Gary

Old July 8th 04, 02:29 PM
Mike Romain

Yes and yes.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 8th 04, 10:46 PM
Rosebud

Enough blame to go around? OK I will pay attention to tire rotation in the
future.
Thanks

Old July 8th 04, 10:54 PM
Mike Romain

It takes very little odd wear to throw a tire out of balance.

Your experience is very normal for most tires that are not rotated
frequently.

You also want to make sure you rotate the tires the correct way. My 4x4
Jeeps call for front to back only, no crossing. The wear patterns seem
to be best that way also on my vehicles.

Mike

Old July 12th 04, 04:41 AM
Rosebud

Got it. I think I've been lucky in the past, not running into something
like this before. I won't get caught like this again.
Thanks Mike.

Old July 21st 04, 07:08 AM
Classiccar guy04

they usually don't balance all 4 tires just the front 2 unless you get them
rotated then they should have r/b them for you
Old July 21st 04, 01:55 PM
Mike Romain

ROTFLMAO!

You 'have' to be kidding right?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

BMW Recommended Tire Balance mwh BMW 8 November 9th 04 11:17 AM
Bummer - removed tire 1 wk after tire store put it on... snapped off the threads on one of the wheel studs Nick Honda 0 September 22nd 04 02:10 PM
Tire pressure must be monitored on new models !!! news BMW 2 September 20th 04 10:24 PM
Proper tire pressure for Firestone Indy 500 FireHawk - 74 Vette - Can anyone read? Tom in Missouri Corvette 0 August 10th 04 05:30 PM
identify radial tire? [email protected] General 5 March 26th 04 10:27 PM