What is a resonable Max miles I should expect from 95 SW2?

Old February 22nd 05, 04:37 AM
Doug

Default What is a resonable Max miles I should expect from 95 SW2?

I have an SW2 that is still doing pretty well at 164,000 miles. I've
been pretty good about keeping it up with my services, but I have an
expensive service coming up. My friends that tell me that the car will
likely be having some serious trouble in the near future as is
'typical' of Saturns. I have been giving some thought to moving onto a
new (used) car but would keep this one a while longer if it is a
reasonable thing to do. I've tried asking how long these cars typically
last at Saturn sations and they always come back with that the cars
will last as long as you take care of them well. I realize that there
are people who drive their cars 400,000 miles, but I really would like
to get a better idea what might be considered typical.

Thanks.

Old February 22nd 05, 11:04 AM
marx404

Bill is right. We have 2 SL1's with similar mileage as yours and one is even
on it's 2nd teenager, same clutch! As long as the car is in good shape and
not leaking anything, running well and everything works, why not keep it?

As far as your friends commemts "likely be having some serious trouble in
the near future as is 'typical' of Saturns" not necessarily true, especially
if you take good care of your car.

Now, if you are driving in excess of 15 - 20k miles a yr, or street racing
the car, (haha) then you may want to consider a newer car. I assume thats
not the case. :-)
Otherwise, with good care you can expect up to 300k miles on a well kept
Saturn if maintenance is religiously done.

marx404

Old February 22nd 05, 10:56 PM
blah blah

In article >, says...
> Bill is right. We have 2 SL1's with similar mileage as yours and one is even
> on it's 2nd teenager, same clutch! As long as the car is in good shape and
> not leaking anything, running well and everything works, why not keep it?
>
> As far as your friends commemts "likely be having some serious trouble in
> the near future as is 'typical' of Saturns" not necessarily true, especially
> if you take good care of your car.
>
> Now, if you are driving in excess of 15 - 20k miles a yr, or street racing
> the car, (haha) then you may want to consider a newer car. I assume thats
> not the case. :-)
> Otherwise, with good care you can expect up to 300k miles on a well kept
> Saturn if maintenance is religiously done.
>
> marx404

"driving in excess of 15k - 20k miles a yr"?

More mileage per year is far better than hardly any mileage at all per
year. Heres how I see it - If a person puts 100k on in a year and
maintains it, 700k to Million miles wouldnt be hard to reach. If you
live in a moist climate or a region where the roads are salted every
year you will have exhaust, brake lines, and fuel lines rotting out and
looking pretty bad in about 10 years+150k miles. (typical for Ohio cars
here)

Cold starts are the biggest wear factor on an engine. If your usage of
the car involves 5 to 10 mile trips for every cold start then you arent
looking at a engine with a very long healthy life. (tho it may still
run, just not tops)

If you could measure an "engines" life by cold starts alone you "might"
come up with something that looks like this

Miles traveled for every COLD start = Expected engine Life Span

5 miles = 50,000 miles
10 miles = 100,000 miles
20 miles = 200,000 miles
30 miles = 300,000 miles
40 miles = 400,000 miles
100 miles = 1,000,000 miles

This isnt very scientific or accurate but ya's get the idea thats been
brewing in my head...I think.

Old February 23rd 05, 11:13 AM
marx404

30 miles = 300,000 miles
40 miles = 400,000 miles

wow! I drive 36 mi to work each day, so thats great news! :-)
oh, I based my "15-20K a yr" on the average mileage ppl drive here in FL,
thats the norm here.

marx404