How Often Do You Replace the Rubber Fuel Hose?

Old November 12th 10, 06:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

Default How Often Do You Replace the Rubber Fuel Hose?

I used to replace mine every 3 years.

At vw-resource.com he recommends replacing it every 5 years.

http://www.vw-resource.com/fuel_line.html

It's always a good precaution to replace all four sections of
rubber line about every five years.

John Connolly (Aircooled.Net) advises-

I strongly recommend cloth braided fuel hose. Every 6 months, you
should inspect it! Bend it over 180 degrees, and if it cracks or is
stiff, REPLACE IT. Leaking fuel hose is the #1 cause of those
smoldering VWs you see on the side of the road. Don't be a statistic!

Old November 13th 10, 05:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_5_]

On 11/12/2010 12:15 PM, Jim Ed wrote:
> I used to replace mine every 3 years.
>
> At vw-resource.com he recommends replacing it every 5 years.
>
> http://www.vw-resource.com/fuel_line.html
>
> It's always a good precaution to replace all four sections of
> rubber line about every five years.
>
> John Connolly (Aircooled.Net) advises-
>
> I strongly recommend cloth braided fuel hose. Every 6 months, you
> should inspect it! Bend it over 180 degrees, and if it cracks or is
> stiff, REPLACE IT. Leaking fuel hose is the #1 cause of those
> smoldering VWs you see on the side of the road. Don't be a statistic!

could not agree more!!

Rubber products such as fuel line, have a limited shelf life too. You
can't tell how old the fuel hose was when you BOUGHT it.

I once bought cloth braided fuel hose for my 78 bus, and two years later
I started getting fuel smells. I did what John said, started bending the
fuel hose and I didn't get very far until it snapped! Nowhere near 90
degrees!

I don't know if the formulation or chemical additives they use in fuel
changed at that time, and I was sold "old batch" fuel hose that was no
longer compatible. But it was a shocker. "Brand new" fuel hose dried up
to a crisp in 2 years. Insane.

Jan
Old November 13th 10, 06:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DogDiesel

"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message
> On 11/12/2010 12:15 PM, Jim Ed wrote:
>> I used to replace mine every 3 years.
>>
>> At vw-resource.com he recommends replacing it every 5 years.
>>
>> http://www.vw-resource.com/fuel_line.html
>>
>> It's always a good precaution to replace all four sections of
>> rubber line about every five years.
>>
>> John Connolly (Aircooled.Net) advises-
>>
>> I strongly recommend cloth braided fuel hose. Every 6 months, you
>> should inspect it! Bend it over 180 degrees, and if it cracks or is
>> stiff, REPLACE IT. Leaking fuel hose is the #1 cause of those
>> smoldering VWs you see on the side of the road. Don't be a statistic!
>>

> could not agree more!!
>
> Rubber products such as fuel line, have a limited shelf life too. You
> can't tell how old the fuel hose was when you BOUGHT it.
>
> I once bought cloth braided fuel hose for my 78 bus, and two years later I
> started getting fuel smells. I did what John said, started bending the
> fuel hose and I didn't get very far until it snapped! Nowhere near 90
> degrees!
>
> I don't know if the formulation or chemical additives they use in fuel
> changed at that time, and I was sold "old batch" fuel hose that was no
> longer compatible. But it was a shocker. "Brand new" fuel hose dried up to
> a crisp in 2 years. Insane.
>
> Jan

You might want to concider another type of fuel line.

Ive been using parker and other Aviation fuel / oil lines lines for a
long time. On oil coler and transmissin lines on my other cars.

On my other vehicles.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ap/hose_fuel.html

http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PA...RICA&Wtky=HOSE

There's plenty of suppliers. But theres not going to be any metric.

Old November 14th 10, 09:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

When I was looking for my present T3 about 20 years ago I was surprised by
how many cars I looked at did not use clamps on the fuel line. Not even on
the fuel pump right next to distributor!. This was after having been hassled
by some Govt inspector for my beetle annual inspection for having a couple
of rust spots on the headlight reflector. Idiot had his priorities
right!!!. My reliable supplier of parts though will only supply OEM cloth
covered hose. He seems to recall VW never used clamps with OEM hose. Dunno
about that.
Keeping on topic though I have had the OEM hose he supplied me with
about 7-8 years ago and it is still supple, no evidence of seepage. For
things like fuel hoses, brake lines I try to go OEM or at least German.
Cost a bit more but lasts a darn sight longer.
John

Old November 14th 10, 09:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DogDiesel

"John" > wrote in message
> When I was looking for my present T3 about 20 years ago I was surprised
> by how many cars I looked at did not use clamps on the fuel line. Not even
> on the fuel pump right next to distributor!. This was after having been
> hassled by some Govt inspector for my beetle annual inspection for having
> a couple of rust spots on the headlight reflector. Idiot had his
> priorities right!!!. My reliable supplier of parts though will only supply
> OEM cloth covered hose. He seems to recall VW never used clamps with OEM
> hose. Dunno about that.
> Keeping on topic though I have had the OEM hose he supplied me with
> about 7-8 years ago and it is still supple, no evidence of seepage. For
> things like fuel hoses, brake lines I try to go OEM or at least German.
> Cost a bit more but lasts a darn sight longer.
> John

Some hose dont need clamps. Like the braided ones on my diesel injectors on
my Golf. No clamps no leaks, last a decade.

Old November 15th 10, 02:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_5_]

On 11/14/2010 3:03 AM, John wrote:
> When I was looking for my present T3 about 20 years ago I was surprised by
> how many cars I looked at did not use clamps on the fuel line. Not even on
> the fuel pump right next to distributor!. This was after having been hassled
> by some Govt inspector for my beetle annual inspection for having a couple
> of rust spots on the headlight reflector. Idiot had his priorities
> right!!!. My reliable supplier of parts though will only supply OEM cloth
> covered hose. He seems to recall VW never used clamps with OEM hose. Dunno
> about that.
> Keeping on topic though I have had the OEM hose he supplied me with
> about 7-8 years ago and it is still supple, no evidence of seepage. For
> things like fuel hoses, brake lines I try to go OEM or at least German.
> Cost a bit more but lasts a darn sight longer.
> John

The factory did not use clamps in the fuel lines. They used the
proper 5.5mm fuel lines. A diameter that is no longer available, and the
closest one being 6mm, fits too loose. So.... clamp them. And not with
those "garden hose" type clamps, but proper fuel line clamps that leave
no gaps.
Old November 15th 10, 08:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

I,m not familiar with the VW diesels. First glance you would think high
pressure ergo must be clamps?. But if they,ve gone 10 years without a leak
it,s obviously kosher.
I seem to recall there always being clamps on my air cooled stuff dating
from the 60,s. Wonder if it was a VW Aust measure for the hotter
climate????. Or just evidence of more overly cautious old sods.
John

Old November 15th 10, 05:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani[_2_]

"Jan Andersson" wrote in message ...
> The factory did not use clamps in the fuel lines. They used the
>proper 5.5mm fuel lines.

an often repeated myth... vw did see fit to use bandclamps on fuel lines
after moving from hardlines to rubber hose...

Old November 15th 10, 07:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

The only fuel hose for my '73 Beetle that I have been satisfied with
in the past 18 years is what I get from CB Performance.

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=574

The hose I got from other vendors had a black braided cloth around
it.

Old November 16th 10, 08:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Tuomas

On 15/11/10 18:53, Joey Tribiani wrote:
> "Jan Andersson" wrote in message ...
> > The factory did not use clamps in the fuel lines. They used the
>> proper 5.5mm fuel lines.

> an often repeated myth... vw did see fit to use bandclamps on fuel lines
> after moving from hardlines to rubber hose...

Often seen also, not a myth at all.

I've had several original VWs from 60's and none of them have had clamps on
fuel lines until I installed them. Newer ones had partial clamping, not all
hoses.

You'd have to have factory advertisements showing clamps to convince me that
factory used them and they magically have vanished from all I've had/repaired.

--
Tuomas - VWs:'63 typ14, '65 typ34 & '61 typ2