graphite in the rear diff??

Old March 17th 21, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Chas Gantz

Default graphite in the rear diff??

Has anyone ever heard of this? We just had a guy come into the store and ask for some. He says it quiets the rear down if it's noisy.

I've been in the parts business for over 30 years, and I've never heard of this. I can't find anything on the internet either.
Old March 17th 21, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hank Rogers[_4_]

Chas Gantz wrote:
> Has anyone ever heard of this? We just had a guy come into the store and ask for some. He says it quiets the rear down if it's noisy.
>
> I've been in the parts business for over 30 years, and I've never heard of this. I can't find anything on the internet either.

Must be a new thing. In the old days, used car mechanics relied on
sawdust.

Old March 17th 21, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 3/17/2021 12:35 PM, Chas Gantz wrote:
> Has anyone ever heard of this? We just had a guy come into the store and ask for some. He says it quiets the rear down if it's noisy.
>
> I've been in the parts business for over 30 years, and I've never heard of this. I can't find anything on the internet either.

I used it, suggested by parts shop, in a 4 speed gearbox and
rear end rebuilt in 1975 and another gearbox in another car
later. Seemed to either help or at least not cause problems.
I'm not an expert but this is a real product.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old March 17th 21, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

https://products.liqui-moly.com/gear...dditive-9.html

Old March 17th 21, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Chas Gantz > wrote:
>Has anyone ever heard of this? We just had a guy come into the store and ask for some. He says it quiets the rear down if it's noisy.
>
>I've been in the parts business for over 30 years, and I've never heard of this. I can't find anything on the internet either.

It probably does. It's also probably just a temporary measure until it
finally fails, though.

I strongly suspect the secret ingredient in GM additive 1032358 is mostly
graphite. That stuff is sold for positraction systems but it can really
quiet down worn gears too.
--scott

Old March 17th 21, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John_H

Chas Gantz wrote:

>Has anyone ever heard of this? We just had a guy come into the store and ask for some. He says it quiets the rear down if it's noisy.
>
>I've been in the parts business for over 30 years, and I've never heard of this. I can't find anything on the internet either.

Generally not a good idea to add solid lubricants (including moly) to
roller bearings, and especially pre-loaded rollers as in a diff, even
though it may reduce crownwheel and pinion related noise.

The effect has been described as akin to having miniature ball
bearings passing beneath the rollers causing them to skid rather than
roll.

--
John H

Rear diff swap Socks Jeep 7 April 26th 07 12:47 AM
Rear Diff. Temp. Troy Jeep 5 October 2nd 05 07:56 PM
91 XJ: rear diff noise Doug Jeep 3 July 6th 05 01:57 AM
Changing rear diff fluid (91 XJ): don't want to R&R the diff cover... Doug Jeep 11 May 7th 05 06:21 AM
new rear diff, possible? Grand Jeep Jeep 20 February 25th 05 06:39 PM