'82 Chevy G10 "overheating" at sustained higher speeds

Old November 26th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Chris[_12_]

Default '82 Chevy G10 "overheating" at sustained higher speeds

Seems to be getting worse, anything in excess of 40mph. There is no
obvious evidence of overheating, just that the temp gauge needle pegs,
and if you stop the car for a minute or two, it goes all the way down
to normal. Someone suggested I flush the system, but I also suspect it
could be tranny related (clogged filter?). Fluid level is fine, but I
have noticed over the years that when I haven't run it for a while (~1+
year) the fluid would drip out, and I'd let it idle for a while, fluid
would rush into the overflow bottle after a while. When I replenished
the tranny fluid, it would be fine.

Old November 26th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob Urz

Chris wrote:
> Seems to be getting worse, anything in excess of 40mph. There is no
> obvious evidence of overheating, just that the temp gauge needle pegs,
> and if you stop the car for a minute or two, it goes all the way down
> to normal. Someone suggested I flush the system, but I also suspect it
> could be tranny related (clogged filter?). Fluid level is fine, but I
> have noticed over the years that when I haven't run it for a while (~1+
> year) the fluid would drip out, and I'd let it idle for a while, fluid
> would rush into the overflow bottle after a while. When I replenished
> the tranny fluid, it would be fine.

Does it have a fan clutch? Have you changed it?

Bob

Old November 26th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
maxwedge[_10_]

How did trans fluid get into the overflow jar? Maybe I misunderstood
what you are trying to say?

--
maxwedge
maxwedge's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...p?userid=19971

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old November 26th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Chris[_12_]

the fan spins rest assured. I only brought up the part about the
overflow bottle filling (after starting it up after a year or more) if
in fact my overheating problem is not related to the coolant system,
but the tranny possibly overheating (?).
Question is if I flush and refill the system (it's got pure water
right now, and no thermostat), and that doesn't do the trick, what
then? I do suppose I should just get to it, but I had to put off a trip
today, and it made me anxious.

Old November 26th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent P[_1_]

In article .com>, Chris wrote:
> Question is if I flush and refill the system (it's got pure water
> right now, and no thermostat), and that doesn't do the trick, what
> then? I do suppose I should just get to it, but I had to put off a trip
> today, and it made me anxious.

Having plain water and no thermostat might be your problem. In any case
restoring it to the way it should be, with a thermostat and the proper
coolant can't hurt and could only help in figuring out what is wrong with
the system if the problems persist.

Antifreeze not only lowers the freezing point but increases the boiling
point. Removing the thermostat has changed the way the coolant flows
through the system.

Old November 26th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin Bottorff

"Chris" > wrote in news:1164505720.870677.240950
@l39g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

> Question is if I flush and refill the system (it's got pure water

I think you need to find out if it is really overheating, sounds like it
may just be a sender or gauge problem. KB

--
Thunder Snake #9
"Protect" your rights or "lose" them.

Old November 26th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Rodan

"Chris" wrote: 82 Chev G10

Overheats at highway speed - anything over 40mph.
Temp gauge needle pegs but if you stop for a few
minutes it goes back down to normal.

I suspect it could be tranny related (clogged filter?).
Fluid level is fine, but I notice that when I haven't run it
for a long time (over a year) the fluid would drip out,
and I'd let it idle for a while, fluid would rush into the
overflow bottle after a while. When I replenished the
tranny fluid, it would be fine.

In order of highest probability:

Thermostat failed partially open.
Deposits built up inside radiator.
Leaves or trash blocking outside radiator.
Fan belt slipping.
Water pump impeller slipping or eroded.
Exhaust mainfold too hot (burned valves)
Trans fluid too hot.
Anything else.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Old November 26th 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Bob Urz" > wrote in message

> Chris wrote:
>> Seems to be getting worse, anything in excess of 40mph. There is no
>> obvious evidence of overheating, just that the temp gauge needle pegs,
>> and if you stop the car for a minute or two, it goes all the way down
>> to normal. Someone suggested I flush the system, but I also suspect it
>> could be tranny related (clogged filter?). Fluid level is fine, but I
>> have noticed over the years that when I haven't run it for a while (~1+
>> year) the fluid would drip out, and I'd let it idle for a while, fluid
>> would rush into the overflow bottle after a while. When I replenished
>> the tranny fluid, it would be fine.
>>

> Does it have a fan clutch? Have you changed it?

Bad fan clutch doesnt normally cause vehicles to overheat at speed. At low
speed or idling in traffic,yes.

Overheating at highway speed is usually a restriction in coolant flow or
blocked air path to radiator.
I think he needs to find out first if it is really overheating or is getting
a false indication.

I dont see the transmission being a likely problem, but stranger things have
happened.

Old November 26th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob Urz

hls wrote:
> "Bob Urz" > wrote in message
>

>>Chris wrote:
>>
>>>Seems to be getting worse, anything in excess of 40mph. There is no
>>>obvious evidence of overheating, just that the temp gauge needle pegs,
>>>and if you stop the car for a minute or two, it goes all the way down
>>>to normal. Someone suggested I flush the system, but I also suspect it
>>>could be tranny related (clogged filter?). Fluid level is fine, but I
>>>have noticed over the years that when I haven't run it for a while (~1+
>>>year) the fluid would drip out, and I'd let it idle for a while, fluid
>>>would rush into the overflow bottle after a while. When I replenished
>>>the tranny fluid, it would be fine.
>>>

>>Does it have a fan clutch? Have you changed it?

> Bad fan clutch doesnt normally cause vehicles to overheat at speed. At low
> speed or idling in traffic,yes.
>
> Overheating at highway speed is usually a restriction in coolant flow or
> blocked air path to radiator.
> I think he needs to find out first if it is really overheating or is getting
> a false indication.
>
> I dont see the transmission being a likely problem, but stranger things have
> happened.

I had the fan clutch degrade on my S10. I would go out on the Hi-way for
awhile and it would run hotter but still run. Then, i would come back
into town and the temp would shoot way up and during a hot day the truck
would actually miss and quit running. I felt the fan clutch and did not
think the clutch was bad. My brother in law felt it and said otherwise.
I changed mine and the problem went away.

There has been some cases of water pump impellers degrading on some cars
though i have not heard of that happening on a GM truck. Might
be worth it to take the pump off and change the thermostat

Bob

Old November 26th 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Noozer

"Chris" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> the fan spins rest assured. I only brought up the part about the
> overflow bottle filling (after starting it up after a year or more) if
> in fact my overheating problem is not related to the coolant system,
> but the tranny possibly overheating (?).
> Question is if I flush and refill the system (it's got pure water
> right now, and no thermostat), and that doesn't do the trick, what
> then? I do suppose I should just get to it, but I had to put off a trip
> today, and it made me anxious.

Pull what you can at a wrecking yard and start swapping stuff piece by
piece, easiest to hardest. If you still can't find the problem, then it'll
be in the engine block.

Come to think of it, it could be timing related. If I remember correctly, if
the timing is too retarded the engine will run hot - something that would be
more exaggerated at high RPM. You might have messed up weights in your
distributor.