How long were ACVW's designed to last?

Old March 25th 08, 05:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Rev Turd Fredericks

Default How long were ACVW's designed to last?

jjs wrote:
> "Randall Post" > wrote in message
>
>> My '63 Notch has over 400,000 miles on it, which is not all that
>> impressive. [...]

> This is my father's hammer. The head was replaced once, and the handle six
> times, but this still is my father's hammer.
>
> How many engines? Brakes? Any tranny work or replacent? Clutch? Electrics?
> Glass? Plastic?

My 71 SB has 88K miles on it. It had an engine rebuild at about 73K,
tranny rebuild at 80K, steering box at 82K and from what I can tell from
the documentation the original owner gave me, it's had the brakes done a
few times over the years. Other than regular maintenance (oil, plugs
etc.) that's all it's had done to it. The original owner took very good
care of the car which is really the key to longevity for any car. I
expect this bug to last me into old age, hell, at 88K it's just a baby
and I only drive it about 30 miles a week :-)
Old March 25th 08, 01:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Randall Post" > wrote in message

> Does that answer your question, you young whippersnapper?

Young whippersnapper? You are trying to make me feel good, right?

> I have my grandfather's hammer. It still has the original head and handle
> and is at least 68 years old. So there!

**** you.
I am 62.

(that's just the beginning of my poem)

Old March 25th 08, 01:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Randall Post" > wrote in message

> BTW, I was able to get the 0-60 time down to 15 seconds. The CR is now
> 7.27:1.

Yah, sure. And what's time from 60 to 0?

Old March 25th 08, 01:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Leary

"Randall Post" > wrote in message
> jjs wrote:
>> "Randall Post" > wrote in message
>> How many engines? Brakes? Any tranny work or replacent? Clutch?
>> Electrics? Glass? Plastic?

> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...e6b18400d39386

I was amazed by "heat exchangers (aluminized coating)" until I also noticed
"Calif registered since '62."

Around these parts (New England) when we went looking for an air-cooled we
used to just assume the exchangers were shot and really looked only to see
how bad.

When I converted my ('64? '65?) to 12V I replaced the wiper motor with the
one out of the car I got the engine from.

Sounds like, except for the "encounter" with the ice, she's held up pretty
well.

> I have my grandfather's hammer. It still has the original head and handle
> and is at least 68 years old. So there!

My dad still has some tools around that his father-in-law (my grandfather)
gave to him as a wedding present in 1951. And they were well-used back
then. No hammer, that I recall, but they're all original.

- Bill

Old March 25th 08, 01:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

<jjs> wrote in message ...
> "Randall Post" > wrote in message
>
>> My '63 Notch has over 400,000 miles on it, which is not all that
>> impressive. [...]

> This is my father's hammer. The head was replaced once, and the handle six
> times, but this still is my father's hammer.
>
> How many engines? Brakes? Any tranny work or replacent? Clutch? Electrics?
> Glass? Plastic?

no John, you are just being difficult... mechanical things break, and
consumables wear out, etc... you don't throw away a Rolex when the battery
dies...

Old March 25th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

They last for life............PERIOD!

Old March 25th 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
jjs

"Bill Leary" > wrote in message

> My dad still has some tools around that his father-in-law (my grandfather)
> gave to him as a wedding present in 1951. And they were well-used back
> then. No hammer, that I recall, but they're all original.

'51 ain't old. Old is older than I am.

Old March 25th 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
jjs

No? Aw ****! What have I done!

Old March 25th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Derek A. Bill

Might want to rethink that. The better Rolexes don't have batteries.

Old March 25th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Michael Cecil

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:03:50 -0600, "Derek A. Bill"
> wrote:

>Might want to rethink that. The better Rolexes don't have batteries.

You don't throw away a Rolex just because you're completely paralyzed and
it will no longer stay automatically wound. There, happy now?
--
Michael Cecil
http://macecil.googlepages.com/index.htm