Testing the waters with my 1967 Bus

Old April 20th 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson

Default Testing the waters with my 1967 Bus

dull knife wrote:
> In article >, Rev Turd
> Fredericks > wrote:
>
>> I'm no expert but it looks like a worthy restoration project to me. If
>> it was mine, I know where I would be spending all my weekends :-)

> Unfortunately, I'm a full-time RV'er, which means no garage. If I'd
> had a garage all these years, then the van would be in a lot better
> shape. It didn't do it any good to park it up in the mountains for 4
> years. The RV park I'm in won't allow more than washing a vehicle and
> checking the oil. I need to drive it down tom the recycling center
> (where oil is recycled) to change oil. If they see me doing the
> valves, they run down to tell me to cease and desist. They just don't
> want any car repairs here. So I'm not going to do much restoration
> anytime soon. If I lived in a park where they allowed people to work
> on their cars, I wouldn't want to live there. Catch 22.
>
> If I can't find a buyer in the next year or two, I'll probably start
> looking for someone who specializes in bus restorations to go through
> it and fix it up, do the body work, stop the rusting. Stem to stern,
> and a nice paint job. New 1600 stock engine with the bigger oil cooler
> and fan housing. At that point I'll give up my idea of getting a new
> car, maybe instead buying a nice old Bug and spending the rest on the
> Bus restoration.
>
> Dreams, dreams, dreams. It's amazing how the dreams drop away when one
> gets older. At some point my plans are to stop driving altogether, so
> I haven't reckoned how this will fit into my VW plans.

Where do you (and the bus) live now?
It's a long shot, but maybe there's a fellow VW nut near you who would
be willing and equipped to help you out somehow.

The bus is in much, MUCH better condition than what many people have
when they start a restoration. Mine was way worse and still not a
particularly difficult project.

If you have to farm the labor out, then it gets expensive.

Jan
Old April 20th 08, 04:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Rev Turd Fredericks

dull knife wrote:
> In article >, Rev Turd
> Fredericks > wrote:
>
>> I'm no expert but it looks like a worthy restoration project to me. If
>> it was mine, I know where I would be spending all my weekends :-)

> Unfortunately, I'm a full-time RV'er, which means no garage. If I'd
> had a garage all these years, then the van would be in a lot better
> shape. It didn't do it any good to park it up in the mountains for 4
> years. The RV park I'm in won't allow more than washing a vehicle and
> checking the oil. I need to drive it down tom the recycling center
> (where oil is recycled) to change oil. If they see me doing the
> valves, they run down to tell me to cease and desist. They just don't
> want any car repairs here. So I'm not going to do much restoration
> anytime soon. If I lived in a park where they allowed people to work
> on their cars, I wouldn't want to live there. Catch 22.
>
> If I can't find a buyer in the next year or two, I'll probably start
> looking for someone who specializes in bus restorations to go through
> it and fix it up, do the body work, stop the rusting. Stem to stern,
> and a nice paint job. New 1600 stock engine with the bigger oil cooler
> and fan housing. At that point I'll give up my idea of getting a new
> car, maybe instead buying a nice old Bug and spending the rest on the
> Bus restoration.
>
> Dreams, dreams, dreams. It's amazing how the dreams drop away when one
> gets older. At some point my plans are to stop driving altogether, so
> I haven't reckoned how this will fit into my VW plans.

That's too bad, I guess it becomes more of a burden for you than
anything. Too me (again no expert) it looks to be in pretty good shape,
compared to some of the ones I've seen on The Samba for sale. The must
be a local VW club that could help you out, they don't like to see those
things die.
Old April 21st 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dull knife

> Where do you (and the bus) live now?
> It's a long shot, but maybe there's a fellow VW nut near you who would
> be willing and equipped to help you out somehow.

And Scourge the cat... http://www.toutle.com/scourge

We're in SW Washington State

> The bus is in much, MUCH better condition than what many people have
> when they start a restoration. Mine was way worse and still not a
> particularly difficult project. If you have to farm the labor out,
> then it gets expensive.

I'd always thought that California would be the place to take the bus
to be restored. It needs all new rubber, window trim, front windows
de-leaked, dents straightened, and a paint job. Then the new engine.
I'd like to have the gearbox and reduction units zero-timed. It needs
a steering box, but don't know about the front end since it's never
given me any trouble. The tires are 20 years old. Riken truck
radials, can't get them anymore. The tire hanging on the front came
with the vehicle, so it's over 40 years old.

Oh, and I want to put a safari rack on top and maybe figure out
something to do with the big hole that once was covered by a pop top.
One nice thing about the snap on cover is taking it off on sunny days
like a biiiiig sunroof.

I reckon there are people who specialize in bus restorations, or
semi-restorations. I wouldn't mind driving it down to California to
leave it for as long as it takes. I'm not as worried about the
absolute cost as much as whatever it is represents value added back to
the bus, and that things are done that will stop any hidden
deterioration.

Thanks for your supportive words.
Old April 21st 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dull knife

In article >, Rev Turd
Fredericks > wrote:

> That's too bad, I guess it becomes more of a burden for you than
> anything. Too me (again no expert) it looks to be in pretty good shape,
> compared to some of the ones I've seen on The Samba for sale. The must
> be a local VW club that could help you out, they don't like to see those
> things die.

I hate to think of it as a burden. Maybe it is because I see this
precious object lose a little more ground every year. When I look at
it and think of what it did and still could do, I feel disgusted with
myself. I think it's such a perfect design and so aesthetically
pleasing to look at. I know from driving it that people wish they were
riding with me and not in some freakin' HonYotaBaru.

And it needs a companion. I know, how about the Matador on Page 76 of
the April Hot VW's? What a truly beautiful vehicle. A 1951
front-wheel drive VW powered truck. Okay, unreasonable dream.

But I'm gearing up to talk myself into something. Thanks for your
supportive words.
Old April 21st 08, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_2_]

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 01:51:59 +0200, dull knife
> wrote:

>> Where do you (and the bus) live now?
>> It's a long shot, but maybe there's a fellow VW nut near you who would
>> be willing and equipped to help you out somehow.

> And Scourge the cat... http://www.toutle.com/scourge
>
> We're in SW Washington State
>
>> The bus is in much, MUCH better condition than what many people have
>> when they start a restoration. Mine was way worse and still not a
>> particularly difficult project. If you have to farm the labor out,
>> then it gets expensive.

> I'd always thought that California would be the place to take the bus
> to be restored. It needs all new rubber, window trim, front windows
> de-leaked, dents straightened, and a paint job. Then the new engine.
> I'd like to have the gearbox and reduction units zero-timed. It needs
> a steering box, but don't know about the front end since it's never
> given me any trouble. The tires are 20 years old. Riken truck
> radials, can't get them anymore. The tire hanging on the front came
> with the vehicle, so it's over 40 years old.
>
> Oh, and I want to put a safari rack on top and maybe figure out
> something to do with the big hole that once was covered by a pop top.
> One nice thing about the snap on cover is taking it off on sunny days
> like a biiiiig sunroof.
>
> I reckon there are people who specialize in bus restorations, or
> semi-restorations. I wouldn't mind driving it down to California to
> leave it for as long as it takes. I'm not as worried about the
> absolute cost as much as whatever it is represents value added back to
> the bus, and that things are done that will stop any hidden
> deterioration.
>
> Thanks for your supportive words.

First of all, these vehicles are getting old and far between, which means
fewer are working on them.
This again makes for less knowledge and people willing to work on them.
The few there is, are not always competent, many of them scam artists.
Anyways, it being an old car is not going to get you off cheap.
On the contrary a full up restoration, or even partial repairs are going
to cost you more than the resale value.

This is not to rain on your parade, just relating to real life.

J.

Old April 21st 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dull knife

In article >, P.J.Berg
> wrote:
>
> First of all, these vehicles are getting old and far between, which means
> fewer are working on them.
> This again makes for less knowledge and people willing to work on them.
> The few there is, are not always competent, many of them scam artists.
> Anyways, it being an old car is not going to get you off cheap.
> On the contrary a full up restoration, or even partial repairs are going
> to cost you more than the resale value.
>
> This is not to rain on your parade, just relating to real life.

Noted and logged.

Thanks.
Old April 21st 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_2_]

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 05:35:37 +0200, dull knife
> wrote:

> In article >, P.J.Berg
> > wrote:
>>
>> First of all, these vehicles are getting old and far between, which
>> means
>> fewer are working on them.
>> This again makes for less knowledge and people willing to work on them.
>> The few there is, are not always competent, many of them scam artists.
>> Anyways, it being an old car is not going to get you off cheap.
>> On the contrary a full up restoration, or even partial repairs are going
>> to cost you more than the resale value.
>>
>> This is not to rain on your parade, just relating to real life.

> Noted and logged.
>
> Thanks.

You could ofcause buy a couple of manuals and learn the needed skills to
do it yourself, then hire a workspace, join a club with facilities etc.

J.

Old April 21st 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dull knife

In article >, P.J.Berg
> wrote:

> You could ofcause buy a couple of manuals and learn the needed skills to
> do it yourself, then hire a workspace, join a club with facilities etc.
>
> J.

Thanks.

I've heard of people doing this, but not in this hemisphere. Makes
sense, tho. Bunch of guys getting together to rent a warehouse,
sharing skills and tools, having a few beers and helping each other out
with their projects. But these days there aren't very many bugs and
buses around, so the pool of likely candidates is small, and the
chances of finding even one other owner with like interests is very
small. Insurance would be a problem, and so would collecting the rent
from several people.

But it's a great idea. Makes sense. I don't know why I didn't think
of it.

I think it's more likely to play out well with a group of pilots making
kit airplanes or sailplanes, mainly because they already have an
organization (EAA) that is working to foster skills and flight. I'm
not aware of any VW club in my area, and I don't think I'd want to
commute anywhere (for the first time ever, I put over $50 worth of gas
in a Toyota -- A Toyota, geeze!).
Old April 21st 08, 11:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson

dull knife wrote:
> In article >, P.J.Berg
> > wrote:
>
>> You could ofcause buy a couple of manuals and learn the needed skills to
>> do it yourself, then hire a workspace, join a club with facilities etc.
>>
>> J.

> Thanks.
>
> I've heard of people doing this, but not in this hemisphere. Makes
> sense, tho. Bunch of guys getting together to rent a warehouse,
> sharing skills and tools, having a few beers and helping each other out
> with their projects. But these days there aren't very many bugs and
> buses around, so the pool of likely candidates is small, and the
> chances of finding even one other owner with like interests is very
> small. Insurance would be a problem, and so would collecting the rent
> from several people.
>
> But it's a great idea. Makes sense. I don't know why I didn't think
> of it.

Go here to see if there are any other VW heads near you.

http://www.geocities.com/bugfuel/ramvaworld.html

I must apologize, I haven't updated the site in a LOOONG time.

Jan
Old April 22nd 08, 09:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Erik Dillenkofer

Check with the local adult education group. Some areas offer auto mechanics
and body work classes in their adult education curricula. For a small
registration fee you can attend the clasess, use their tools and garage
space (usually at the high school), and work on your own car as your class
project.

news:210420081530220446%ouchimbleeding@ouchimbleed ing.com...