Testing the waters with my 1967 Bus

Old April 22nd 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dull knife

Default Testing the waters with my 1967 Bus

In article >, Jan Andersson
> wrote:

> Go here to see if there are any other VW heads near you.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/bugfuel/ramvaworld.html
>
> I must apologize, I haven't updated the site in a LOOONG time.
>
> Jan

Thanks. Could you add a section for clubs?
Old April 22nd 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dull knife

In article >, Erik
Dillenkofer > wrote:

> Check with the local adult education group. Some areas offer auto mechanics
> and body work classes in their adult education curricula. For a small
> registration fee you can attend the clasess, use their tools and garage
> space (usually at the high school), and work on your own car as your class
> project.

We don't have that here, but there's a big auto shop at the HS, so
maybe I should ask district officials about it. Good suggestion.
Old April 22nd 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson

dull knife wrote:
> In article >, Jan Andersson
> > wrote:
>
>> Go here to see if there are any other VW heads near you.
>>
>> http://www.geocities.com/bugfuel/ramvaworld.html
>>
>> I must apologize, I haven't updated the site in a LOOONG time.
>>
>> Jan

> Thanks. Could you add a section for clubs?

I'll think about it

Jan
Old April 22nd 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson

dull knife wrote:
> In article >, Jan Andersson
> > wrote:
>
>> Go here to see if there are any other VW heads near you.
>>
>> http://www.geocities.com/bugfuel/ramvaworld.html
>>
>> I must apologize, I haven't updated the site in a LOOONG time.
>>
>> Jan

> Thanks. Could you add a section for clubs?

Links to clubs in the north west USA:

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=108542
Old April 23rd 08, 11:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson

A more elegant way to cover the pop-top hole on the roof:

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/slidragvolwa.html

Jan
Old April 23rd 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dull knife

In article >, and then in article
>, Jan Andersson
> wrote:

> Links to clubs in the north west USA:
>
> http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=108542

Got it, thanks.

> A more elegant way to cover the pop-top hole on the roof:

> http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/slidragvolwa.html

Hey, neato jet.

At least I could get the top fixed and painted.
Old April 26th 08, 07:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Stupendous Man

> The only experience I have is the '66 bus and bug were 6 volts and the
> '67's were 12 volts. I never saw or heard about anything else.

I have a 65 bus here that's 12V and has the silver 12V sticker on the dash.
Not factory?

Old April 27th 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dull knife

In article >, Stupendous Man
> wrote:

> > The only experience I have is the '66 bus and bug were 6 volts and the
> > '67's were 12 volts. I never saw or heard about anything else.

> I have a 65 bus here that's 12V and has the silver 12V sticker on the dash.
> Not factory?

Several possibilities I can think of. One is that 12-volts was an
option and people who didn't want to buy a 6-volt bus offa the lot
waited for one to be shipped from the factory. Another possibility is
your bus was bought in Europe, driven around on vacation, then imported
as a used car to cut the duty. Yet another possibility is the bus was
converted and the sticker you mentioned was bought OTC at a dealer
parts dep't. Could it be that '67 was the first year that _ALL_ VW's
were 12-volt and I thought it meant '67 was the first year of 12-volt?

Or nunna dem tings.

I suppose, too, that there are lots of '66 and earlier 12-volt bugs and
buses around and I've never seen them. I carried a tools and spare
parts and, like many splitty owners, pulled off the highway to help
anyone with a '67 or earlier bug or bus. In 300,000+ miles over the
better part of four decades I never once saw a pre-'67 12-volt bug or
bus. My own '66 bug was 6-volts, and all of my friends who had bugs
had 6-volt batteries in 'em. And nobody, not even once, ever
challenged me when I said: "Last year of the body style ('67, that is),
first year of 12-volt."

Doesn't prove anything, I know, apparently I've been wrong all of this
time. Veeduber -Bob Hoover weighed in with information that agrees
with you. I guess this is an example of the more I know the more I
know I don't know.

Best wishes.