67 Mustang

Old May 19th 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default 67 Mustang

We have a 67 Mustang in need of a rear end. Will a rear end from a 74
Maverick bolt up to the 67? Please help.

Monica

Old May 19th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

wrote:
> We have a 67 Mustang in need of a rear end. Will a rear end from a 74
> Maverick bolt up to the 67? Please help.
>
> Monica

Oh...almost forgot...

No, I don't think it would be a bolt-on affair.

Cheers,
Old May 19th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

The 67 Mustang is a 6 cyclinder with a 4 lug rearend. The Maverick
rearend is a 8 inch and a 5 lug rearend.

Old May 19th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> We have a 67 Mustang in need of a rear end. Will a rear end from a 74
> Maverick bolt up to the 67? Please help.
>
> Monica

Measure from the brake backing plate on one side to the brake backing plate
on the other side of each rear end. Then measure the distance between the
spring stands on each rear end. If they are the same, then you could make
that swap work.

Old May 19th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Thanks, I'll go that route.

Old May 19th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

You are welcome.

Keep in mind that the pinion/U-joints may not be the same
As long as the spring stands are the right width, you can get by with some
small overall width differences.

Depending on your welding skills/determination, if the overall housing is
the right width, you could move the spring stands...

Post back and let us know how it turns out.

oups.com...

Old May 19th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

The Maverick rear will bolt right in, as would a unit from a Granada.
The spring centers are the same but the overall width is about 1" less,
moving your wheels in .5" on each.
The big problem is the stock wheels. The center pilot diameter is
larger on the later rears axle flange. So an early five lug wheel will
not fit. You don't care since you had four lugs to begin with. Simply
use the Maverick wheel or a mag.

You can swap the front end components for five lug wheels also. Later
Mavericks and Granadas had front disk brakes whick bolt right onto the
early cars.
I've done this swap more than once. It's a cheap easy way to upgrade
your car, especially if you are thinking about converting to a V-8

Enjoy...

Old May 19th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Or, just drop out the 8" centercection and swap it only. Assuming that
the four lug rear is also an 8" unit.
The options are endless!