"play" in steering 1976 Vette

Old November 13th 06, 09:40 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Brian Penzone

Default "play" in steering 1976 Vette

How much 'play' is normal in the steering of a '76? Mine has about 5
degrees left and right of center that doesn't do anything. My father in
law suggested that it's the Power Steering Selector that is causing
this...but i wanted to get some informed opinions! So if anyone has any
ideas, let me know!

Brian

Old November 14th 06, 01:24 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
David Lindenauer

First check the 'rag joint'. In the engine compartment, it's a
flexible textile joint about halfway down the steering column. There
should be only just a tiny bit of play at this point. Replacing this
is cheap (parts <$20) and within the capabilities of almost any
backyard mechanic, as it requires no special tools nor skills.

Next look for leaks in the power steering actuator (looks like a
horizontal piston) or the hoses, as well as around the pump. The
leaks will tell you what needs to be looked at next. If it's dirty
it's hard to tell; clean it up and wait for the leaks to show.

Old November 14th 06, 01:43 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"David Lindenauer" > wrote in message
> First check the 'rag joint'. In the engine compartment, it's a
> flexible textile joint about halfway down the steering column. There
> should be only just a tiny bit of play at this point. Replacing this
> is cheap (parts <$20) and within the capabilities of almost any
> backyard mechanic, as it requires no special tools nor skills.
>
> Next look for leaks in the power steering actuator (looks like a
> horizontal piston) or the hoses, as well as around the pump. The
> leaks will tell you what needs to be looked at next. If it's dirty
> it's hard to tell; clean it up and wait for the leaks to show.

There can be some pre-load added to the worm screw to take out the slack but go
easy on that adjustment.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51