OT I have a question

Old July 22nd 15, 06:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

Default OT I have a question

I bought a 1985 Dodge D250 today to give me transportation since the XJ
is acting up.

It has a Stahl service body in place of the regular pickup bed and I'm
thinking of selling it to get some bucks to find a regular bed.

It's in fair shape and needs a few repairs plus finding a key for the
side compartments.

Any suggestions on what to ask for it?

Budd

---

Old July 23rd 15, 12:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_6_]

Budd Cochran wrote:
> I bought a 1985 Dodge D250 today to give me transportation since the
> XJ is acting up.
>
> It has a Stahl service body in place of the regular pickup bed and I'm
> thinking of selling it to get some bucks to find a regular bed.
>
> It's in fair shape and needs a few repairs plus finding a key for the
> side compartments.
>
> Any suggestions on what to ask for it?

Best bet is to try to find a similar one on ebay.
Depends on how it's loaded out.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/stahl-body
is the only one that pops up for me, but that's a grand challenger version.

Finding a good straight bed might not be easy. Lots of older trucks got
crushed for scrap during the cash for clunkers attack on the rebuilders.
I've got no idea what models would cross.

As for the side compartments. without the key codes the only way to get one
done is for a locksmith to figure it out. Sometimes the code is printed on the
lock core. I have no idea what your locks are like. Sometimes you can pick them
with a paperclip though.
http://www.stahldistributorlocator.c...butor-locator/

They might even have a leftover bed and work you a deal. Worth asking at least.

--
DougW

Old July 23rd 15, 04:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Budd Cochran[_2_]

On 7/22/2015 5:46 PM, DougW wrote:
> Budd Cochran wrote:
>> I bought a 1985 Dodge D250 today to give me transportation since the
>> XJ is acting up.
>>
>> It has a Stahl service body in place of the regular pickup bed and I'm
>> thinking of selling it to get some bucks to find a regular bed.
>>
>> It's in fair shape and needs a few repairs plus finding a key for the
>> side compartments.
>>
>> Any suggestions on what to ask for it?

> Best bet is to try to find a similar one on ebay.
> Depends on how it's loaded out.
>

> http://www.ebay.com/bhp/stahl-body
> is the only one that pops up for me, but that's a grand challenger version.
>
> Finding a good straight bed might not be easy. Lots of older trucks got
> crushed for scrap during the cash for clunkers attack on the rebuilders.
> I've got no idea what models would cross.
>
> As for the side compartments. without the key codes the only way to get one
> done is for a locksmith to figure it out. Sometimes the code is printed on the
> lock core. I have no idea what your locks are like. Sometimes you can pick them
> with a paperclip though.
> http://www.stahldistributorlocator.c...butor-locator/
>
> They might even have a leftover bed and work you a deal. Worth asking at least.

I called a junkyard about 150 miles from me at the suggestion of the
local yard's owner (he didn't have any regular beds that would fit) and
they want $300 and suggested the about the same for the service bed.

So, I'm digging the old engine crane out in a couple days and see if I
can get the service be off, steal a couple taillights from my little
trailer and then fill the tank up and head out singing the ol' Willie
Nelson song . . . . the one the better half hates.

Budd

---